Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's about men deciding women would be better off playing on little pitches because they aren't as good. Which I can't quite decide is either very funny or very offensive. 

This weekend, my local women's team has won Cups at U16, U18 and full senior level. Firstly, they don't want to play on a special ladies pitch. Second, we wouldn't have the money for the facility. Third, it creates division in what should be a very simple totally accessible game.

I agree with this entirely.

There's a one ladies team three cups joke in there somewhere.

:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Line of Duty. 

It's the new Game of Thrones. I'm totally sick of people going on about it, asking me if I'm watching it tonight, etc. No, I'm not. 

You're like a former friend of mine. Very wise, old soul and all that, but doesn't get around hip-hop or Game of Thrones. Truth being stranger than fiction personified..

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There's a one ladies team three cups joke in there somewhere.

Yes please :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

You're like a former friend of mine. Very wise, old soul and all that, but doesn't get around hip-hop or Game of Thrones. Truth being stranger than fiction personified..

Well, although GoT and LoD don't particularly interest me, I COULD imagine watching them if I had nothing better to do. Listening to hip-hop, however, I wouldn't last five minutes without wanting to puncture my eardrums. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, although GoT and LoD don't particularly interest me, I COULD imagine watching them if I had nothing better to do. Listening to hip-hop, however, I wouldn't last five minutes without wanting to puncture my eardrums. 

It'll go down as one of the great mysteries of history.. maybe not.

If you enjoyed Tolkien's LOTR, The Matrix or One Hundred Years of Solitude, Game of Thrones would be time well spent.

What's LoD?

19 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It'll go down as one of the great mysteries of history.. maybe not.

If you enjoyed Tolkien's LOTR, The Matrix or One Hundred Years of Solitude, Game of Thrones would be time well spent.

What's LoD?

Line of Duty. 

LotR is the alpha and the omega of the fantasy genre for me; everything that followed it tried to emulate it by exaggerating what seemed to be the key elements, but ended up shallow and crass. 

I would level exactly the same criticism at the heavy metal genre in the wake of Led Zeppelin. 

And, while we're at it, Gil Scott Heron and rap. 

In each case, I don't like the genre, with the sole exceptions of the originators, each of which is outstanding. The exception that proves the rule. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 11:32, chrisp65 said:

Let me try and put it another way for you.

The women's game is more popular in america, some of the women playing are playing to a greater skill level than some british men. Some of the women are playing faster at altitude than some men in britain. Some women in america are more skilfull than some men in britain. Some women in america are paid more to play than some men in britain. Because some women in america are just plain better at football than some men in britain.

Until the average UK male football player - and I mean average, including every Sunday leaguer, every once a month five a sider, until they are as good and explosive and skilfull as the USA women's team, until then, they should only be allowed to play on little pitches.

Or to reduce it further, you're talking sexist bollocks.

You are all over the place here. Firstly there's a big difference between physical capability and technical capability. Nobody is doubting the latter. They will no doubt smash Sunday league players in the technical department, but they won't on physical capabilities. 

The case is that to make female football more interesting to audience, as the women want themselves, you have to makes changes. Only by increasing the intensitiy of the sport will it get more interesting, and this is done by scaling it to their physical capability. 

I live in a country where women's  football has been a thing for a long time. And every year we hear the same shite about them wishing the pay, interest, support and what not was even remotely comperable to men's football. And that's valid enough. But to create that interest you have to make the changes that makes people interested. And the major reason why women's football is so boring is cause it's slow, it's weak and it's without any intensity. If you just accept there's difference between the genders and adapt the game so the intensity is increased, the game will get better, more interesting and better supported, which will increase the money in the sport. 

Right now people promoting female football are asking men's football teams to be the financial and practical aid to women teams, simply cause there is so little interest. 

Improve the sport by making changes and interest will follow. 

The fact that you think different requirements between genders has anything to do with sexism just blows my mind. There's a pretty obvious reason to it and it's nothing to do with a sex being better or weaker. Hell, I prefer female handball to men's, and ideally I'd like men to play on a much bigger field - simply cause the current dimensions isn't audience friendly.  

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

On 05/05/2019 at 00:39, KenjiOgiwara said:

They can't produce the same power, intensity or skill at a given force a man can,

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You are all over the place here. Firstly there's a big difference between physical capability and technical capability. Nobody is doubting the latter. They will no doubt smash Sunday league players in the technical department, but they won't on physical capabilities. 

So, ignoring whether or not women can be as technical or skillful (you were right in your second quote), it just can't be argued that all men are bigger and stronger than all women and it really isn't the case. No matter what you say, I will still insist that I know women that are taller than Alan Wright and faster than me. I've known some very fast women in my time. 

As for Sunday leaguers vs professional women, I'd agree 'on average' that's a fair presumption that the average man is physically stronger than the average woman. But it absolutely isn't an absolute. There is an overlap, I can see it with my own eyes in my own clubhouse any matchday. I'm not just being PC, or right on, or virtue signalling. They are there in the clubhouse. All women are not weaker than all men.

But putting all that to the side. There's the other more serious issue. My local club has the full age range of women's football. We have space for a single 3G pitch. We can't put multiple markings on it, we can't double the land we have, we can't conjur up £300K for another pitch. So, should the sexes play on the same pitch? Or should we flip a coin to decide which sex gets kicked out of our football club?

That's just a practical and financial problem. Doesn't mean it's not the right choice to make changes to dimensions. That's just avoiding to make the right changes cause it's a hassle. 

Skill is fwiw not the same as technical ability methinks. Though this isn't important and can easily be interpreted that way I guess. 

As for talking absolutes. That's kinda interesting. Should a sport be defined by the extreme outliers? Will give some interesting results that. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but here in Sweden they invest in young noys to become good, They invest in young girls when they have become good. And that's in football, nothing else you filthy bastards. :)

Back OT. Me. Sometimes I don't understand myself. No, my swedish is way better than my english, so it's not the language. Last summer I was at Crete and when we were out eating once I got something between my teetch and it stuck. We were a long way from the hotel so I didn't any tooth picker. And it stuck for some reason, and from then on I knew there something wrong. I didn't have anything there, but it felt like it and food got stuck there and I had to use tooth pickers all the time. Did I go to the dentist? The hell I did.Then a couple of weeks/months ago a piece of the tooth came out. Just a small part. Did I go to the dentist? The hell I did. It didn't hurt and I thought that well, that was it. It was that piece and it didn't hurt so it was probably not that bad. The night before this one I had some pain and thought that maybe it was time, but I still didn't go. Last night at work it started to ache as hell. And it wouldn't stop. I had to go to the emergency dentist. And yes, it was bad. Now I have to fix that tooth for a combined amount of around £1k. Clever boy. Very clever. I'm about to ask someone to knock it out and be done with it instead.

• 3 weeks later...

How a relatively unknown actress like Laura Elphinstone manages to land roles in three HUGE shows that go to air within a month of each other, with very little previous exposure.

image.jpg

Not a criticism, I genuinely don't know how it works. Seems strange that she gets three huge roles (relatively speaking) when I'd guess she wasn't very well known before that. Coincidence? Did she just audition for the three roles and get them all and they just happen to go out so close together?

Or does she get recommended somehow?

Might be for the boring thread. I'd genuinely like to know how it works.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd genuinely like to know how it works.

Same way as the rest the World.

It's not what you know, it's who you know?

Agents and connections for the most part.

Blind luck/good fortune/right place right time is also significant, but less than the above.

• Like 1

Just now, Xann said:

Same way as the rest the World.

It's not what you know, it's who you know?

Agents and connections for the most part.

Blind luck/good fortune/right place right time is also significant, but less than the above.

That's kind of what I assumed. That she must have a connection or an agent who has hooked her up with these 3 big roles, but didn't want to sound like I was doing her a disservice.

Just seems weird that she's been in three of the biggest shows of 2019 all within a month.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's kind of what I assumed. That she must have a connection or an agent who has hooked her up with these 3 big roles, but didn't want to sound like I was doing her a disservice.

Just seems weird that she's been in three of the biggest shows of 2019 all within a month.

I was sat with my wife watching her in Line Of Duty and GOT and thought how has she got on 2 of the biggest shows in the uk, from seemingly nowhere.

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not a criticism, I genuinely don't know how it works.

Like @Xann says, it's all about connections. I know an actor who has been in a lot of really big US and UK shows. Mostly supporting roles but probably a face most people would recognise (but never be quite sure how). He's struggled for the last few years to get work but his agent retired last year and he managed to get a new agent who is well in favour with some big clients at the moment. He's never been so busy, three theatre gigs, a couple of things for ITV and a couple of Netflix things all in the last few months. 

Having said that, there's hundreds of jobbing actors out there who are all making a living in rep and the like, sometimes you just go on a run of landing gigs and then you might not be on the telly again for years.

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I was sat with my wife watching her in Line Of Duty and GOT and thought how has she got on 2 of the biggest shows in the uk, from seemingly nowhere.

Same.

And then she popped up in Chernobyl too. Which is also bound to be one of the biggest shows of the year.

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

Having said that, there's hundreds of jobbing actors out there who are all making a living in rep and the like, sometimes you just go on a run of landing gigs and then you might not be on the telly again for years.

Yeah but the thing that made it weird for me is they've all come out before anyone would have seen her in any of the other shows.

Like if she was in Line of Duty, then the year after she was in GoT, and then the year after that she was in Chernobyl, then I'd understand. She's done a good job, she's quite recognisable and she's got herself another job. And repeat.

But it's all the shows coming out at once that confuses me. Unless they share a casting person or something.

Â