Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

It's a sorry state of affairs that we will miss Cleverley with his 3 goals and 0 assists, when comparing that to Milner in his final season with us (in the Liverpool thread), when he got 12 goals and 15 assists apparently. Worlds apart. Imagine having a midfielder capable of that now.

I agree with the rebuild but Sherwood has a huge job on his hands, and keeping Cleverley would have been a bonus. It was quite clear it was never to be, and we were facing a losing battle.

So he should've just pointlessly delayed signing for them for fear of offending the the more sensitive Villa fans? He was never our player, he agreed to join us on loan.

I agree he was never our player but after apparently talking about how he wanted to stay and saying how much he loved the club he can't sign for Everton quick enough. Its not a matter of sensitivity but it is a matter of disrespect IMO. If he never wanted to stay he could have spared us the BS.

And his loan was with an option for us to buy in January. OK based on his form at the time he was not worth signing at that time but it was more than just a normal loan like we had for say Walker a few years back.

I'm not losing any sleep over this but I'm just a bit disappointed that all. The challenge for TS is to replace him hopefully with some one better as we have the core of a decent midfield with Delph and Westwood

I'm disappointed he chose to leave, but I'm more disappointed that Sherwood couldn't convince him to stay. I guess he loves Martinez more.

We've lost better players before and survived, and hopeful we'll continue to do so.  

Tim Sherwood should not be criticised for this, he got form out of Cleverley that was beyond Lambert and David Moyes last season.

I just think it was a case of a North West club coming in for him. If he'd signed for us full time he'd have had to move down to Brum and maybe with a young family he just didn't fancy uprooting them. Everton are on his doorstep.

I am told me he is an Abba fan and his favourite tune is 'Money, Money, Money'

I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay

Ain't it sad
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad
In my dreams I have a plan
If I got me a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd fool around and have a ball...

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

A man like that is hard to find but I can't get him off my mind
Ain't it sad
And if he happens to be free I bet he wouldn't fancy me
That's too bad
So I must leave, I'll have to go
To Las Vegas or Monaco
And win a fortune in a game, my life will never be the same...

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

It's a rich man's world
  • Like 1

Mind you they are offering him 50k a week which is **** madness he is no way worth those kind of wages and glad we let him go if that is what he wanted lets not forget for the majority of this season he had been shite to the point where one game he got boo'd off.

Where's that reported? If they've got him for that it's a bargain. United wanted £8m for him last summer, I think that's two much, but I could see someone paying £5m which considering they've got him on a free means it's the equivalent of getting him for £30k a week over five years. That's less than Albrighton's getting.

• Like 1

I think we'll hear about the FA Cup final loss for a few years more, and how things would have been a lot different had we won the game etc.

I was just getting over how Phil Dowd cost us the Carling Cup 

• Like 4

i dont think it would of even mattered if we finished in the top half of the table and won the fa cup, cleverley would of still gone to everton, he could of stayed at manutd this season, done nothing and got paid for it, but instead he used villa to keep his fitness up, makes sense, even on the 11th hour when everton came on, he went there first, he had no intentions of coming here long term.

• Like 1

I actually dislike Tom Cleverly more than I did before we got him. Not even an acknowledgement of gratitude for his time at Villa, which for the most part was utter cack until Sir Tim came along. He's just like the rest of them and I'm glad hes no longer on our team.

Sort of feel the same way myself. Six days after the FA Cup Final he's gone......Disrespectful IMO.

I'm not going to dislike a player because he puts his career ahead of the feeling of a handful of fans. He's decided to join a slightly less shit team closer to home! 

• Like 1

I agree he was never our player but after apparently talking about how he wanted to stay and saying how much he loved the club he can't sign for Everton quick enough. Its not a matter of sensitivity but it is a matter of disrespect IMO. If he never wanted to stay he could have spared us the BS.

And his loan was with an option for us to buy in January. OK based on his form at the time he was not worth signing at that time but it was more than just a normal loan like we had for say Walker a few years back.

I'm not losing any sleep over this but I'm just a bit disappointed that all. The challenge for TS is to replace him hopefully with some one better as we have the core of a decent midfield with Delph and Westwood

I too presumed he'd be staying after his comments but reading them back there was nothing conclusive about them, certainly not on par with Downing's. He said he's happy and likes playing for the club - which may well have been true - and if a contract is offered, "we'll see what happens".

You're right that there was the option to make the transfer permanent but that just meant we had an effective first option, the player could still have rejected a permanent move had we met the agreed amount. It's likely that United would've insisted on such an option too given his contract situation.

• Like 1

mediocre player whom i have never rated.

put in 4 or 5 good performances in his career to date - Gabby and NZog have had more games for us that he has and i think they are both poor.

I'd expect a better player to be coming in.  I consider Gary Gardner on a par with Cleverly, so i really don't care.

• Like 1

What was the reason that he didn't actually go to Everton before we got him on loan? I mean he was dead set on going there until he had to use us as a back up. If a club did that to me I'd tell them where to stick it.

funny how Martinez was arrogant enough to hang onto get him on a free

then again it sounded as though we could have paid to get his signature if we had wanted to, but rightly chose to wait.

the issue is we are likely to lose Benteke, Cleverly and Vlaar

Most of our experience and quality is leaving the club.

Edited by VillanousOne

What was the reason that he didn't actually go to Everton before we got him on loan? I mean he was dead set on going there until he had to use us as a back up. If a club did that to me I'd tell them where to stick it.

You offered 7m which we accepted but Tom wanted to go to Everton who offered 5m but we rejected that. We then wouldn't let him go to Everton on loan either so he went to you. Everton wouldn't match your offer so we didn't let him go to Everton. I think we've got a bit of a sour relationship with Everton over the whole Moyes and Fellaini stuff so we weren't willing to give Everton a little deal.

• Like 1

Â