Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

But he's not a runner - Delph and Cleverley were the legs of this seasons midfield, Westwood the base and Grealish the front man. 

Gardner is naturally like Westwood, he could at a push be a different kind of advanced player like Grealish but it would be about dead balls and long shots.

He can't do the job that Delph or Cleverley do though, he not got that sort of mobility around the pitch.

Sherwood described Gardner as a box-to-box midfielder when saying he'll be given a shot in preseason (or words to that effect). I wouldn't say Gardner is naturally like Westwood, that wasn't in role in the reserve team. In fact, I believe Forest was the first time he'd been played as the holding midfielder/controller if I'm not mistaken. He's probably being lined up to shadow Delph I suspect but his best hope of nailing a spot would be in the holding role. He lost some mobility after the injuries so not he'll fair well as a box-to-box midfielder in our league now.

I always thought Gardner was an attacking midfield player but maybe I'm wrong. We will sign at least one midfield player anyway so it won't really change anything for Gardner. 

I always thought Gardner was an attacking midfield player but maybe I'm wrong. We will sign at least one midfield player anyway so it won't really change anything for Gardner. 

I think he will get his chance whether we keep or would have kept Clvererley. I really hope Gardner becomes the player everyone thinks he is but sadly I think is just another average product of our over hyped product of our academy. I would love to be proved wrong but sadly I doubt it.

• Like 1

I don't see why its a shock all of a sudden, IIRC the guy didn't even want to come here when he found out he could stay in the NW.

Everton hijacked our enquiry in the first place but then wouldn't meet the reported 6/8m asking price, we went back sniffing and rescued a loan deal with a rumoured option to buy in January. 

Cleverlerys agent then made things even more messy at the time with his demands and he ended up here deep in Fergie with some made up bull shite. 

Bottom line is, Everton/NW was always his first choice, didn't want to rot in Utds reserves for a year when evident not in LVG plans, Mrs won't leave the Hollyoakes lifestyle, came here to put himself in the window on a free with a nice pay cheque. 

Good luck to him and thanks for the goals that contributed to our survival.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 3

Still haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.....

I'm sure it will be, soon enough. There can't be that many reports about a deal being 'almost done' without some inside info given from Cleverley or Everton's camp, surely?

Â