Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

No hard feelings from me. I'm disappointed that he's gone as his position was not a priority to upgrade.

Simple truth is he was offered a damn sight more money by Everton and we couldn't compete with it, hence him meeting them straight after the cup final. it wouldn't surprise me if the seeds were sown last August when he met with them.

He did what was asked of him whilst here and played his part in helping secure our survival. His contract is probably worth several million more than we could have offered him. He had no reason to stay with us. 

From a purely footballing point of view, the move represents a risk for him.

why are people saying "he only scored 3 goals and 0 assists, wont be missed" (or on those lines) as if he had the exact role from the time hes been here? He obviously would have scored more and assisted more with the role he plays now compared to when lambert was here. Actually think hes going to be pretty tough to replace. His energy is superb and presses/intercepts opposition pretty well.

think 9th-5th team is his level so understand why hes going. gl to him

Always find it funny how bitter fans get or their opinion suddenly changes when a player decides he wants to leave (Although he was never with us in first place). lol at signing for a club when hes basically a free agent being disrespectful to the team he was on loan to xD

Edited by gharperr

I wonder when Everton made him this offer? Before the Burnley game? Before the FA Cup Final? When he decided to sign for them after saying he was up for signing for us after that semi-final win?

He did his bit to get us to the Final and keep us up but his going to Everton seemed so predictable from the day he signed for us on loan and it looks a bit underhand now. I hope we made him a decent offer and if we did not I wonder how Tim feels about that?

I think and hope he will regret not signing for us. I now hope we will have the money to find a suitable replacement.       

• Like 1

You also have to question whether Man U have lost out as well. The deal was agreed back in August, then Everton came in at the last minute and wrecked it. Man U are now £7mol worse off. Cleverley is probably a few mil better off and Everton have got a £7mil player for considerably less than that.

Its business I guess. Players will nearly always go where the highest payer is located-Forget about all this rubbish about wanting to stay in Cheshire.

I can imagine we have as much of a pulling power as Sunderland have now. Who cares that we finished 6th 5 seasons ago? Who cares how big our fanbase is or how grand our history is?

If you were to pick as a neutral, which club would you rather play for?

I firmly believe location is a big factor in this and has been underestimated.

These people live jet set life styles. Cheshire to Birmingham is akin to you travelling 4 stops round the No 11 route.

Or Everton are just a more attractive proposition, regardless of money. For all we know, we offered the same wage.

Possibly-Do you reckon we would have offered him a 5 year contract though?

From his house in the North west getting to Everton's training ground will probably take him 20 minutes.

With Bodymoor heath you're talking a good half and a hour.

Which would you prefer doing 3-4 times a week?

From his house in the North west getting to Everton's training ground will probably take him 20 minutes.

With Bodymoor heath you're talking a good half and a hour.

Which would you prefer doing 3-4 times a week?

Move further south, It's less wet.

It'll also take him three hours to hitch a ride home when he finds his car on bricks.

For me, it always looked like Everton were his preffered target. If he wanted to be here then he wouldn't have stalled a permanent deal to sign for us last summer, which almost resulted in him losing a year of his career waiting for Everton to stump up the fee. He made the correct sounds while he was here to appease the fans, but I have seen that so many times now over the years that it was not convincing to me. I won't lose too much sleep over him leaving as this is standard footballer behaviour nowadays, he did quite well for us towards the end of the season so i thank him for helping us stay up.

I do think this has been done for a while, remember Sherwood's comments before the Everton game saying he thought Cleverley might already think he is playing for them or something along those lines. Probably never had a chance in signing him.

Â