Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

KEA was one of the worst players EVER to pull on a Villa shirt and Cleverley is really only mediocre at this level. He COULD improve but there is no way he wants to be here at Villa ..... he only has eyes on getting back to United so will never sign a contract here so best to get rid and invest in better.

Swansea wanted to sign him from Crewe, a few weeks before we did.

True but that was when he was a cheap lower-league punt to fill the squad. The question from Ponky was would he go for something similar to the cited Cleverley fee now and I don't believe he would.

Actually, he was scouted as a replacement for Joe Allen who they sold for big money and was their best player. Not a punt, just to fill the squad as you put it.

So it seems like Cleverley is actually on loan till the end of the season, odd. I actually have a feeling that we won't make it permanent in January judging by what Lambert said in his presser and he'll go to Everton or whoever in the summer. Lambert went from "nobody will leave" in January to "from a football perspective I don't want anybody to leave but it's down to Randy because its his club/money."

Tight finances, again?

Edited by samjp26

These would be interesting talks. Say he wants £40k a week, we could sit him down and offer him £60k a weak in the summer and still be better off by £3-4m through not paying a fee. It's a strange situation, there's an idea of how much we're going to spend on the player, but we're in a position where Villa and Cleverley can sit down and decide how much Tom gets and how much Man Utd get. I'd imagine that this is why they've been very careful with any clause they've put into the loan.

• Like 1

Actually, he was scouted as a replacement for Joe Allen who they sold for big money and was their best player. Not a punt, just to fill the squad as you put it.

No he wasn't, Ki Sung-yueng was.

KEA was one of the worst players EVER to pull on a Villa shirt and Cleverley is really only mediocre at this level. He COULD improve but there is no way he wants to be here at Villa ..... he only has eyes on getting back to United so will never sign a contract here so best to get rid and invest in better.

KEA definitely wasnt

But do we really need to sign anybody else in January? As long as we don't sell anybody we have a reasonably squad now to get a comfortable midtable position by the end of the season. January is never the time to buy players so personally I would be happy to just sign Cleverley on a permanent basis and go with the squad we have.

I don't think we need anyon if Delph doesn't leave. In defense we have too many good CB's, our midfield is ok, and then we have Benteke with Kozak getting back to shape. Of course you can always improve, and we could, but I don't think we NEED to.

i think this is crazy, how many goals have we scored? Our creativity is awful. Without doubt we NEED to improve, we need something to provide Benteke with chances

Awful player imho. Lived up to my every expectation of him since being here. Offers so little. Thought he was poor for MU and the National side. Made a comment last season that he wouldnt look out of place in our midfield didnt think we'd actually bring him in but if we choose not to take up the option to sign him we will definitely be dodging a bullet

• Like 1

Bad again.  He got subbed so hopefully Lambert is recognising that he ain't all that.  Would like to see him dropped and replaced by someone that can pass beyond 5 yards although with Gabby banned on Sunday he will most likely start.

I'd like to see him push up the pitch a bit. Our midfield 3 of Cleverley, Delph, Sanchez (could add Westwood in there too) all sit so deep. None of them make runs into the box opening up space when we're struggling to break teams down. They're all so flat. Out of all of them I think Cleverley would be the better in an attacking sense. They need to take risks every now and again. 

Â