Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I'm itching to see a midfield with Delph, Cleverly, and Sanchez together. I quite like Cleverly, and the rumored price doesn't bother me. I wouldn't say he is vastly superior to Westwood, but he's superior. Westwood is remarkably inconsistent.

I'm with you Texan. And we most likely will see them starting on Friday in a tough match.

Why wouldn't we just sign him up on a pre contract in January? Why would we pay anything?

If he does not want to sign, you have 8 mil to spend on a real player.

Premier League clubs can't sign players to pre contracts in January if they also play for another Premier League side.

Did not know that rule. Point still stands, though. Let it run until the summer and see if he wants to stay. If not you can use the money elsewhere.

Why wouldn't we just sign him up on a pre contract in January? Why would we pay anything?

Premier League clubs can't sign players to pre contracts in January if they also play for another Premier League side.

Did not know that rule. Point still stands, though. Let it run until the summer and see if he wants to stay. If not you can use the money elsewhere.

I said it on the last page. There's no chance man utd would have let him come on loan without a fee being agreed first. We do not have the option to try and get him for nothing in the summer.

I said it on the last page. There's no chance man utd would have let him come on loan without a fee being agreed first. We do not have the option to try and get him for nothing in the summer.

Of course we do. If he runs down his contract with Man Utd whilst being on loan here he can leave them on a free transfer at the end of the season. Or are you suggesting that we've already agreed to pay the money before he came here and he has essentially already signed for us?

Of course we do. If he runs down his contract with Man Utd whilst being on loan here he can leave them on a free transfer at the end of the season. Or are you suggesting that we've already agreed to pay the money before he came here and he has essentially already signed for us?

I think its already been agreed. Why would Manchester united accept an £8 million bid and then essentially give him away for free 12 months before his contract runs out? I can't see a club like man utd making a decision like that.

I expect the £7.5m fee is already being paid off as part of his loan deal and in January we'll 'settle the bill' as it were.

So in effect, we're paying the fee to cover the whole of his last year on his contract, not a player in his last six months.

IMO, it's not bad business, he's settled well and shown he is good on the ball and neat and tidy in possession. What we do need is for him to be more of an attacking threat.

We discuss this every few pages.

We agreed a fee. We don't have to take it.

But the fee isn't really a January transfer. It's a summer 2014 transfer. We're not paying £8m in January. We effectvely bought him for £8m in August, just with the option to give him back if it didn't work out.

The fee gives us exclusivity.

It's all well and good saying "we'd get him for free in the summer". We wouldn't get him for free in the summer. he'd go somewhere else.

I think its already been agreed. Why would Manchester united accept an £8 million bid and then essentially give him away for free 12 months before his contract runs out? I can't see a club like man utd making a decision like that.

Yeah I agree, Thats the way I see it which I think is positive because hopefully it means we still have some funds left for January.

Seems to most people agree that he isn't worth 7.5 million. I don't see how he is the best part of 6 million better than Westwood. I reckon Westwood is technically better but Cleverley is more tenacious. To me both players are good squad players but not first choice. We need a central midfield playmaker in the mold of Cabaye, that kind of passing range and vision. Niether has it. So the remaining 4 or 5 million to make the deal permanent is better put to signing that class of player. The real problem is if Delph does leave on a free how will we replace him. Certainly not with Cleverley!

He is worth £7.5 million in today's market.

He just isn't worth it for us, because we should be spending the money elsewhere when we've got a player like Westwood who does the same job to a pretty similar standard.

He is worth £7.5 million in today's market.

He just isn't worth it for us, because we should be spending the money elsewhere when we've got a player like Westwood who does the same job to a pretty similar standard.

Not sure... 7.5m for a player with less than a year left (and even with a year left) is a little crazy. I am not a fan of his but would be happy to buy him at half that amount.

Who cares if it has been "agreed?" We are not bound by any handshake deals we may have made in August, unless you think it was actually an official agreement that we would buy him no matter what in January.

I am not an expert on transfer rules, as my original post proved, but I am not sure that is legal.

Seems to most people agree that he isn't worth 7.5 million. I don't see how he is the best part of 6 million better than Westwood. I reckon Westwood is technically better but Cleverley is more tenacious. To me both players are good squad players but not first choice. We need a central midfield playmaker in the mold of Cabaye, that kind of passing range and vision. Niether has it. So the remaining 4 or 5 million to make the deal permanent is better put to signing that class of player. The real problem is if Delph does leave on a free how will we replace him. Certainly not with Cleverley!

Because one came from Crewe Alexandra and had previously appeared in Leagues 2 and League 1

The other comes from Man United, has won the title and played multiple times for England, that's why he costs £6M more, it's really not rocket science!

• Like 1

I'd be very happy for him to come here permanently. Sod what Man Utd fans think, he didn't deserve the stick he got by a long shot.

As for the the fee, like others have said this was all settled in the summer. '6 months left of his contract' has nothing to do with it. It was just a way of forcing the deal through before the window shut because of all the pissing around over the fee. It was a happy medium for both sides really. We get a 'try before you buy', they get a set fee agreed so they don't risk losing him for bugger all at the end of his contract.

• Like 1

"All settled in the summer" indicates it was an official deal, aka we signed something. I have no idea if that is legal, but it does not seem like it should be. If it is not legal, any agreement would be nothing more than a handshake deal. I see little reason why we would have to honor a handshake agreement, especially since it is a terrible deal.

Perhaps I am wrong on the legality of what would amount to a pre-agreement. Anyone know?

Â