Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

How do you know who will be interested in who in the summer. If Lambert wants him permanantly I think he will have buy him in January

I'm saying that he doesn't have to buy him for the buy-clause agreed in the summer. As for which [better] clubs are interested, I'm making an educated guess looking at their midfields and seeing that he wouldn't get into any of them. At best some of them could perhaps be interested in him as a squad player.

For what it's worth, if someone wanted to buy Westwood next month how much do people think he would go for? Comparable to the Cleverley fee cited?

No, I can't think of one club at this level who would have any real interest in Westwood, especially for any sort of significant fee.

Swansea wanted to sign him from Crewe, a few weeks before we did.

True but that was when he was a cheap lower-league punt to fill the squad. The question from Ponky was would he go for something similar to the cited Cleverley fee now and I don't believe he would.

True but that was when he was a cheap lower-league punt to fill the squad. The question from Ponky was would he go for something similar to the cited Cleverley fee now and I don't believe he would.

Your response didn't indicate the bolded in the slightest whatsoever.

You said no team 'at this level' would have any interest in him which (IMO) is complete nonsense.

Your response didn't indicate the bolded in the slightest whatsoever.

You said no team 'at this level' would have any interest in him which (IMO) is complete nonsense.

Which was followed up with "...especially for any sort of significant fee.". I was thinking in the realistic sense that no other club will have been so impressed by him that they'd be willing to go to the effort to try and sign him, especially considering that we'd probably want a fairly significant fee. I know you feel differently but he is a mediocre [at best] player and I'm certain that being involved with a club in our position is as good as it will ever get for him.

Edited by Isa

Mediocre at best is such a ridiculously harsh viewpoint of him, there's just no point in even debating this.

It's no coincidence that whenever we're on TV, whichever commentator is on raves about him. Underrated by fans, but certainly given the credits he deserves by those within the game.

Well football is a meritocracy, so if he contributes as much to the team as you and others that share your viewpoint on him say, he'll eventually get a move to a bigger/better club. Everyone knows my view on him so I have nothing else to add.

Well football is a meritocracy, so if he contributes as much to the team as you and others that share your viewpoint on him say, he'll eventually get a move to a bigger/better club. Everyone knows my view on him so I have nothing else to add.

Conjecture. Really poor way of looking at it IMO

He is good to have. Lambert's first buy from a PL club (free transfers excluded), so we should trust him. Having four midfielders who are about equally good/aged, is only benefiting the team, because of competition for game time.

I think he has been asked/forced to play as a defensive midfielder too much this season when our backs have been against the wall.

His defensive stats are probably very good as he tackles well and covers a lot of ground, his passes are tidy but sideways and he never really gets forward too much.

Now that we seem to be playing a bit more possession and passing football with overtures towards being more positive going forward I would hope he has it in his cannon to contribute more. I think we need to see more of him when we are controlling the game rather than defending in panic mode. If he is for sale for 7-8 mil then we should sign him and hopefully as the team evolves further so will his role.

I think Westwood is a good player, mostly unspectacular - but a decent all rounder who can occasionally pull of a superb performance that makes us believe in him. Maybe those performances will start to become more often, as too often he goes missing and fades into the background without ever really being poor. At the moment though i only think he'd fetch 3 mil and end up at a promoted club or someone like Hull or Crystal Palace if he left us. I think he improves every season though.

Edited by VillanousOne

Mediocre at best is such a ridiculously harsh viewpoint of him, there's just no point in even debating this.

It's no coincidence that whenever we're on TV, whichever commentator is on raves about him. Underrated by fans, but certainly given the credits he deserves by those within the game.

But at the same time we're to accept the assertion that Cleverley is a dreadful player who would be completely hopeless, is worse than KEA, and has added literally nothing since joining the club? That's a fair evaluation, but Westwood-as-mediocre is ridiculously harsh? 

• Like 3

Â