Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

We need a Sigurdsson type in our midfield, not another workhorse like Cleverley, we have enough of them.

Glyfi as we saw today chips in with goals and can link attack from midfield. I suppose he was only going to go to Swansea when they were interested but he only cost them 7m so these playmakers don't all cost 15-20m.

Sigurdsson is the player I wanted during the summer.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'd rather we go in for Hoolahan again instead of signing Cleverley. He is a neat player, but literally offers nothing to the team productively. We need someone who can pick up the ball from Sanchez and Westwood, drive forward, and either play in Cissokho/Hutton behind the defence, or play one of our front trio into good positions. For £8m, we could pick up someone similar to Coutinho who we were once linked with.

I'm sure Lambert will attempt to get someone like that.

Hoolahan ain't started the last five for Norwich.

Anyway back to Cleverley, one thing I'm disappointed with him is the lack of goals. He chipped in with a few for Man. United and at Wigan and we are desperately short of them in central midfield and that has been consistant in Lambert's time here.

I thought even if he was average in most areas of the midfield game, Cleverley would be like Sidwell and at least score some goals now and again.

Hoolahan is 33 and dosen't play every week for Norwich. Lambert will be scrapeing the barrel big time if that's his Grant Holt esque signing.

He should've just gone back in for Kioyatke, he only cost Hannover about 3m.

Hoolahan ain't started the last five for Norwich.

Anyway back to Cleverley, one thing I'm disappointed with him is the lack of goals. He chipped in with a few for Man. United and at Wigan and we are desperately short of them in central midfield and that has been consistant in Lambert's time here.

I thought even if he was average in most areas of the midfield game, Cleverley would be like Sidwell and at least score some goals now and again.

I'm just saying that's how much I wouldn't want us to sign Cleverley :ph34r: :ph34r:

I wonder why he was on the left today with Delph on the right. He looks right footed to me but always seems to be on the left.  I'd much prefer Delph on the left because it suits him better. If someone is going to be out of position I'd prefer it to be Cleverley

Offers zero creativity and can't pass the ball forward, remind me, why are there people on here who want us to spend £8m on him again?

Has been explained over and over again.

He was very poor yesterday. Couldn't get the basics right, very disappointing after I stuck my oar in defending him!

I'd drop him right now if we had a decent enough option. Expect more from him tomorrow.

• Like 1

Actually, he was scouted as a replacement for Joe Allen who they sold for big money and was their best player. Not a punt, just to fill the squad as you put it.

No he wasn't, Ki Sung-yueng was.

So only one player is scouted as a possible replacement? Ki-Sung Yeung was the actual replacement as it turns out yes, but that doesn't mean other options weren't explored. Here are articles linking Westwood to Swansea as a replacement for Joe Allen.

Swansea Look for £2m Crewe Skipper Ashley Westwood as Replacement for Joe Allen

Swansea to Make Bid for Crewe's Westwood

The 22-year old is being targeted as a potential replacement for Joe Allen who left earlier this summer for Liverpool.

Brum Mail

He is also believed to attracted interest from Swansea who had lined him up as a replacement for Joe Allen who left to join Liverpool.

Sorry, I read your post as they wanted him as Allen's direct replacement rather than with a view that he could perhaps develop into that in the long-term. So I don't really see what was incorrect about my initial statement. He would've been a cheap punt and been a squad player at that time.

That is what I meant, and I'm not sure how those articles I quoted indicate that Westwood was scouted as a long-term replacement rather than an immediate one? What might have put them off of getting the deal done might have been that he wouldn't hit the ground running, but surely that gives credence to the idea that he was to be a direct replacement? If he was just a cheap punt/squad filler then they would have finalized the deal instead of pulling out, no?

That is what I meant, and I'm not sure how those articles I quoted indicate that Westwood was scouted as a long-term replacement rather than an immediate one?

They don't indicate either way but the reality is that Ki was already signed as their record transfer (at the time) and himself touted as Allen's replacement.

What might have put them off of getting the deal done might have been that he wouldn't hit the ground running, but surely that gives credence to the idea that he was to be a direct replacement? If he was just a cheap punt/squad filler then they would have finalized the deal instead of pulling out, no?

That is purely speculative so I couldn't say. My assumption would be that if they viewed him as such an important signing then they would've done everything to finalise it. Saying this, do we know for sure that they pulled out? This James Nursey article claims otherwise:

Big and beautiful: Westwood happy he joined Villa and not Swansea

13 September 2012 10:30 PM James Nursey

The former Crewe star could have been lining up for the Welsh side at Villa Park this weekend but size of club swung it

Aston Villa new boy Ashley Westwood insists he was right to snub high-flying Swansea for a bigger club.

The 22-year-old was expected to sign for the Welsh club, but Villa stepped in on deadline day to snap him up from Crewe for £2million.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-ashley-westwood-happy-1323316

Played with defending in mind. Much better player with Man U as defending was not his priority, as with most players in our team. If attacking was a priority of our midfield, we would create far more chances. To me defending is 70% of our game, attacking is 30%, explains it really.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

Offers zero creativity and can't pass the ball forward, remind me, why are there people on here who want us to spend £8m on him again?

Has been explained over and over again.

He was very poor yesterday. Couldn't get the basics right, very disappointing after I stuck my oar in defending him!

I'd drop him right now if we had a decent enough option. Expect more from him tomorrow.

About the 'best' rationale I've seen on here is that he's necessary for the 'squad', which really isn't a good explanation at all for that outlay. 

Â