Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Offers zero creativity and can't pass the ball forward, remind me, why are there people on here who want us to spend £8m on him again?

It is a matter of demand. With Delph and Cleverley gone in the summer, we would be stuck with only 2 midfielders in Sanchez and Westwood. Maybe one of them gets an injury, then we would just have one. Lambert has a good eye for a player, but he is no magican. Maybe he can get one player in from outside the PL. But he will need some time to adjust. Worst case scenario, a year or two. Maybe he can get a player from another PL club. But, does he want to come, and how much will a player of Delph's quality cost? Look at the bigger picture. With Cleverley signed, Lambert has more room to take a chance on a cheaper player. This is why Villa should sign Cleverley. If Delph had signed the contract, it would be less of an issue with signing Cleverley.

• Like 3

We need a Sigurdsson type in our midfield, not another workhorse like Cleverley, we have enough of them.

Glyfi as we saw today chips in with goals and can link attack from midfield. I suppose he was only going to go to Swansea when they were interested but he only cost them 7m so these playmakers don't all cost 15-20m.

• Like 3

Ah yes, there's no one out there is there? KEA was every bit as good as Cleverley and cost what? £3m? There's hardly a dearth Cleverley sorts in the market. 

Basically we should be signing someone with more creativity who can play centrally, then it'd be that player with Westwood and Sanchez, sorted. 

Ah yes, there's no one out there is there? KEA was every bit as good as Cleverley and cost what? £3m? There's hardly a dearth Cleverley sorts in the market. 

Basically we should be signing someone with more creativity who can play centrally, then it'd be that player with Westwood and Sanchez, sorted. 

KEA cost less than £1m. From a foreign league. How long did it take for him to get up to speed?

I'd like to see him push up the pitch a bit. Our midfield 3 of Cleverley, Delph, Sanchez (could add Westwood in there too) all sit so deep. None of them make runs into the box opening up space when we're struggling to break teams down. They're all so flat. Out of all of them I think Cleverley would be the better in an attacking sense. They need to take risks every now and again. 

Can you really see that happening.

Lambert has figured we have more chance of getting points/wins by keeping tight and nicking games 1-0/2-1 so wants a deep sitting middle trio with occasional bursts forward by Delph.

We're not going to suddenly change to attempting to outscore teams as we could easily go on a losing run.

On Cleverley I have a feeling now he'll play out the season here and join Everton on a free. He'll stay in the North West that way and they'll probably pay him higher wages. And I wouldn't be sorry at all, he is bang average, just another Sidwell that will cost us god knows what in wages if we sign him full time. 

Its not that Cleverley is anymore to blame than the other two, Delph was just as ineffective and Sanchez was sitting deep and couldn't affect our forward play, I would try Sanchez in the more attacking position and sit Cleverley deeper.

Its not that Cleverley is anymore to blame than the other two, Delph was just as ineffective and Sanchez was sitting deep and couldn't affect our forward play, I would try Sanchez in the more attacking position and sit Cleverley deeper.

but that's not Sanchez's game, so why change his game? Edited by nick76

but that's not Sanchez's game, so why change his game?

Because atm our midfield is not effective at creating chances, I think Sanchez offers more forward passes/ creative than Cleverley, who covers a lot of the pitch and plays simple safe passes.

But do we really need to sign anybody else in January? As long as we don't sell anybody we have a reasonably squad now to get a comfortable midtable position by the end of the season. January is never the time to buy players so personally I would be happy to just sign Cleverley on a permanent basis and go with the squad we have.

I don't think we need anyon if Delph doesn't leave. In defense we have too many good CB's, our midfield is ok, and then we have Benteke with Kozak getting back to shape. Of course you can always improve, and we could, but I don't think we NEED to.

i think this is crazy, how many goals have we scored? Our creativity is awful. Without doubt we NEED to improve, we need something to provide Benteke with chances

I don't think so. And today has in no way made me rethink. We definitely had enough chances to win this game.

Lambert has to find a way to get more goals from these guys. One more mediocre attacking mid wouldn't change a thing.

I reiterate that we have good enough players to reach mid-table at the end of the season. No reason to think we'll be relegated with this team. I know we don't score much, but our game plan is relying on a tight defense. Which we have, especially if we play with four at the back.

Â