Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Mediocre at best is such a ridiculously harsh viewpoint of him, there's just no point in even debating this.

It's no coincidence that whenever we're on TV, whichever commentator is on raves about him. Underrated by fans, but certainly given the credits he deserves by those within the game.

You can back this up with video evidence can you?

Mediocre at best is such a ridiculously harsh viewpoint of him, there's just no point in even debating this.

It's no coincidence that whenever we're on TV, whichever commentator is on raves about him. Underrated by fans, but certainly given the credits he deserves by those within the game.

But at the same time we're to accept the assertion that Cleverley is a dreadful player who would be completely hopeless, is worse than KEA, and has added literally nothing since joining the club? That's a fair evaluation, but Westwood-as-mediocre is ridiculously harsh? 

In a Villa shirt, KEA offered far, far more than Cleverley has so far. Not sure why that's such a crazy statement.

But at the same time we're to accept the assertion that Cleverley is a dreadful player who would be completely hopeless, is worse than KEA, and has added literally nothing since joining the club? That's a fair evaluation, but Westwood-as-mediocre is ridiculously harsh? 

In a Villa shirt, KEA offered far, far more than Cleverley has so far. Not sure why that's such a crazy statement.

KEA had about 4 outstanding games in a Villa shirt, a fair amount of ok performances but mostly he was incredibly average and so slow at getting at players, which used to be his MO.

Maybe we could have used him better, but very few on here really got upset when he left.

KEA had about 4 outstanding games in a Villa shirt, a fair amount of ok performances but mostly he was incredibly average and so slow at getting at players, which used to be his MO.

Maybe we could have used him better, but very few on here really got upset when he left.

Not sure KEA's MO was to do that to be honest. at Feyenoord he played the Westwood role but slightly more mobile. It was Lambert's use of him in that role that made people think thats what he was about.

Not sure KEA's MO was to do that to be honest. at Feyenoord he played the Westwood role but slightly more mobile. It was Lambert's use of him in that role that made people think thats what he was about.

fair enough, he did seem like someone who could run at and tackle the whole team, but he was probably more technical than we give him credit.

it feels like the old fashioned creative midfielder is a dying breed, unless you have tens of millions to buy that player from abroad

• Like 1

KEA had a handful of decent games, the rest of the time he was extremely underwhelming, and not many people were heartbroken to see him leave. To say he offered far more than Cleverley is crazy because it plainly isn't true. Cleverley has been average, but then apart from Benteke and Hutton, who hasn't been.

He scored goals, hassled players and was quick with his passing.

I'm yet to see Cleverley do any of those things.

you make it sound like he did that every game, he didn't - he did it a handful of times.

most games he was so slow he couldn't close down a branch of Woolworths.

Cleverly is a machine, he works harder than Weimann, trouble is we don't need another defensive machine we need a technical and creative force, something which I don't yet know if Cleverly offers, but we don't know that he doesn't either.

Calling Westwood mediocre is absolutely hilarious. His signing was proof that Lambert had a true eye for talent in the transfer market. 

And his signing of Tonev shows he has a true eye for signing what?

I forgot that it was somebody else that signed Benteke. My bad.

Don't know who we would sign instead but if it's 7-8m for him, given he's not offering much different to what we have and given we are unlikely to have much money to spend I'd rather not sign him permanently if that's the thinking by Lambert

But do we really need to sign anybody else in January? As long as we don't sell anybody we have a reasonably squad now to get a comfortable midtable position by the end of the season. January is never the time to buy players so personally I would be happy to just sign Cleverley on a permanent basis and go with the squad we have. 

• Like 1

bbc gossip here http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

The Times say he's being coy in talks with Villa and wants to see out his contract.

Personally I hope this is the club allowing hm to save face after refusing to pay more than 5 million for him.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

What's it mean if he "sees out his contract"? Does he play with us or ManU in the spring?

I gather his contract's up at the end of the season and he's on loan to us until then.

Ok thanks. I've gotten confused with all this January talk.

But do we really need to sign anybody else in January? As long as we don't sell anybody we have a reasonably squad now to get a comfortable midtable position by the end of the season. January is never the time to buy players so personally I would be happy to just sign Cleverley on a permanent basis and go with the squad we have.

I don't think we need anyon if Delph doesn't leave. In defense we have too many good CB's, our midfield is ok, and then we have Benteke with Kozak getting back to shape. Of course you can always improve, and we could, but I don't think we NEED to.

• Like 1

Â