Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

And yet he offers more to a premiership midfield than Cleverley.

Go figure.

Only explanation is Cleverley is still living off his spellbinding performances for UTD.

I can't think of any other club that would pay £7.5m for Cleverley with his contract situation either. If we do, we are idiots.

Depends on how much Lambert wants him. He wont join in the summer as there will be bigger and better clubs in for him then

As Stefan says, Everton are the only better club that might be interested in the summer.

Anyway, it's not a straight choice between having to vie for him on a bosman or pay the buy-clause. We are allowed to negotiate the fee, it just means that United aren't obliged to accept. But it still figures that if pressed they would prefer to sell him in January for some sort of fee rather than lose him for nothing. I don't think we should be going a penny over £4m myself. If United don't accept that then screw them, £7.5m and £40/50k-per-week (probably what he'd command wage-wise) could be spent far better elsewhere.

I think Cleverley is a decent footballer. But, he offers literally zero to the team. He excels at nothing. If he didn't start at United, he wouldn't be in the PL.

Completely disagree.

He's a hod carrier, he does the simple things well, presses, closes the gaps and is generally busy. Not worth £8m no, more like £3/4m, but there aren't many of those players in the championship capable of making the step up believe me.

Watch a proper shit team a few times, like QPR. Watch how many times their mids get the basics wrong. Players like Cleverley are decent reliable labourers and unless you're competing at the very top they are absolutely fundemental. He's getting derided, in my opinion, because those midfielders around him (despite being lauded) aren't much special either.

He'll look better alongside Delph for example because we will expect much less from him and he'll quietly go about his job. Much like Sidwell did for O'Neill in some bloody good sides.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

But he's pointless for us.

We have Westwood who does a similar role but much better.

I don't think they do similar roles at all, though I do agree I prefer Westwood of the two for impact. With Cleverley doing the donkey work does that not leave Westwood with more licence to be expansive anyway?

It's a squad game. With a fully fit midfield Cleverley would be on the bench for me, probably the manager too. But thank **** we bought him in when we did or we'd be struggling for fit midfielders at times.

• Like 1

I guess I agree with you in that instance. He's handy in this situation but with a fully fit midfield I just don't see where he fits in and for 8m, you want somebody who is going to go straight into the XI.

£8m for a water carrier is extremely poor business from our end.

How anyone can try to justify this, and then in the next sentence say that he would only make the bench when everyone is fit, is just absolutely hilarious to me.

I hate to break this to anyone on here, but £8m is a hell of a lot of money for us, this would be Lambert's record signing for god sake. It's a resource that could be used a lot better, it could for instance, be spent on a position where we really are weak, such as in the attacking midfield areas. 

• Like 2

Depends on how much Lambert wants him. He wont join in the summer as there will be bigger and better clubs in for him then

As Stefan says, Everton are the only better club that might be interested in the summer.

Anyway, it's not a straight choice between having to vie for him on a bosman or pay the buy-clause. We are allowed to negotiate the fee, it just means that United aren't obliged to accept. But it still figures that if pressed they would prefer to sell him in January for some sort of fee rather than lose him for nothing. I don't think we should be going a penny over £4m myself. If United don't accept that then screw them, £7.5m and £40/50k-per-week (probably what he'd command wage-wise) could be spent far better elsewhere.

There will be more teams interested in him when he is a free agent.

He's not supposed to be a "water carrier" anyway, he the most advanced of the midfield three and thus should be offering something offensively. We already have midfielders that can play safe, simple passes and rack up a high pass-success rate.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to Cleverley as a player by the way, I just don't like the role he has been playing in. He has some good qualities but they are mainly off-the-ball ones.

With Delph almost certainly off in January, if we are to sign Cleverley then he should take his place in the midfield as he is more suited to playing deeper, almost as a pivot. A midfield three of Sánchez (defensive-midfielder), Cleverley (pivot/box-to-box) and a new creative midfielder to play ahead of them would work pretty well.

Still though, £7.5m could buy a better midfielder than Cleverley to do that job.

Not a chance. Don't make out that he is this amazing player and we're so lucky to be graced with his presence.

£8m for a water carrier is extremely poor business from our end.

How anyone can try to justify this, and then in the next sentence say that he would only make the bench when everyone is fit, is just absolutely hilarious to me.

I hate to break this to anyone on here, but £8m is a hell of a lot of money for us, this would be Lambert's record signing for god sake. It's a resource that could be used a lot better, it could for instance, be spent on a position where we really are weak, such as in the attacking midfield areas.

I agree that perhaps the money could be better spent on other areas. What I'm arguing against is that players like him are ten a penny, they are not. Lambert has, to my mind, pulled some real quality out of relative obscurity for buttons, but let's not kid ourselves that that is "normal".

None of that is breaking news to me I assure you. I happen to think there is more to come from Cleverley and that players like him, players who get the basics right, are essential to a side like ours.

Actually, in retrospect, I don't care about the money and you'll not force me to either.

• Like 1

Not a chance. Don't make out that he is this amazing player and we're so lucky to be graced with his presence.

You've put words in his mouth there. As somebody self proclaimed as vehemently opposed to such things I think that's disappointing.

You've put words in his mouth there. As somebody self proclaimed as vehemently opposed to such things I think that's disappointing.

There's history with the previous poster. I'm not going into it because I don't want to get into trouble. I'm just unsurprised with the attitude towards the club in this instance tbh.

Â