What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

Welcome back Kurt but seriously take your time, glad you said hello but if you still need more time away from VT, social media etc... then take it and come back proper when you are fully ready. All the best. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Addiction and mental illness are dance partners. It can get exhausting continuously battling to stay intact in such a **** up world. Booze and smoke make living more pleasant. But they are also a hindrance to going to the gym, clearing my head and staying fit.

I have difficulty balancing fitness and discipline with booze and cannabis.

I love being sober for most of the day but i also love putting a proper buzz on every night of the week too.

I must sound like a true addict

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@kurtsimonw - hope you're ok mate. If i remember correctly isn't it your "mate's" wedding this month or soon ?

If you're having another break from VT and social media in general then that's cool. It would be good just to hear from you, that's all.

On 09/01/2020 at 18:27, maqroll said:

Addiction and mental illness are dance partners. It can get exhausting continuously battling to stay intact in such a **** up world. Booze and smoke make living more pleasant. But they are also a hindrance to going to the gym, clearing my head and staying fit.

I love being sober for most of the day but i also love putting a proper buzz on every night of the week too.

I F**KING loath this SH*T.

Not in an angry way, not in a judgemental way, not even in a disappointed or frustrated way. I just can't align myself with it, won't co-sign it, and will stand against it.

Without knowing you, my perception of your post is that you are a relatively healthy individual. You understand the hindrance to the day should you indulge in it's earlier hours, and you understand the benefits for when you decide it's time to unwind and enjoy some time to yourself, albeit a slightly inhibited self.

If you will allow me, some unsolicited advice, ponder whether it's the substance use, or the dogma and stigma that comes with, that are cause for your head to be 'unclear'.

For anyone who wants to tango on that one, we're discussing a relatively healthy individual who can go without, not someone so caught up in dependency things are no longer clear.

Like many healthy people, you are fallible and prone to error, you struggle at times with acquiring the motivation to commit to desired fitness goals and other disciplines, because they do not come as a match made in heaven with your substances of choice and the habits and rituals you have developed to go with.

And you think you come across as a true addict. Why I ought to call the police for you to arrange a community treatment order bound by law. Things are out of hand here.

Like every mister, sister, brother and mother hasn't struggled with their inner dialogue over negotiating compromises that need to be made in their day-to-day in order to achieve greater .

Chin up, you sound like a chiller, imo.

If you believe you can achieve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My mom doesn't get on with her twin and they've had big fall outs over the years, but they keep in touch and message on facebook every now and then.

They were messaging the other day and it's come to light that her depression/anxiety (I'm not sure what she has in all honesty) has got so bad that she hasn't left her house in 12 months and for a while she wasn't even leaving her living room. (I don't know where she was toileting)

I'm not sure why I'm posting this really, but I've been thinking about it a lot since my mom told me yesterday, it must be absolutely horrific.

A part me thinks my mom should put the past behind her and she should go visit, but then again they haven't seen each other in 6 years. I don't know if my mom rocking up would help at all. She does have a husband, four kids and several grandkids, so she's not alone at least.

On 09/01/2020 at 07:27, maqroll said:

Mate you are not alone, I am in a very very similar place to you. I'm sober all day at work but the minute I get home I get the weed out. I've struggled with addiction for years, I am currently  in the process of trying to quit... Again! I'm trying a different method this time of gradually reducing amount I am using over a period of time before cutting out completely. I pray to god this works tbh, have had enough of relying on it to sleep, calm down and all the other stuff involved. I have a love hate relationship with the stuff, which in all honesty has a grip on me and has for a long time.

One of the big reasons I havent quit so far is that I struggle with all the weight of problems and people relying on me all day every day to run their lives for them with minimal input from themselves..... Them 5 mins of peace and quiet outside on my own a couple times a night in rain, snow, sun or whatever with a Spliff is my time and my only time I get to myself. 

The weed is my only release, my missus doesn't listen or understand my problems so no help there and the only other person I feel confident talking too works long days out of town so is not around too much. We make sure to meet up as much as we can as he has same kind of problems as I do. I'm really struggling to keep it together at the minute. I have always bottled up my problems and I know it's not good to, but actually in my case it helps as I'm a thinker and after stewing I normally have the answer or solution I need to move on. Obviously this catches up with me at times, like now for instance. Hence why I'm here opening up, I dont really have anywhere else to turn unfortunately. 

Sorry for the long reply mate and the waffling just needed to speak out feeling really low today.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I do have a mix of problems with addiction and depression, which one is affecting me more I'm not sure tbh. I'm starting to think there maybe more I need to do than just quitting weed. In all honesty I seriously need to think about my relationship with my partner as from my side it seems to be all s**t and not much good coming from it anymore, I'm deeply sad to say this but I think I may have to face reality and make a decision sooner or later.... I need to invest more time in myself and not just the 10% I do currently, the other 90% is spent working and sorting everybody else around me out.

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 2

I'm going to put this in here as well as a thread in the main forum as I believe anyone viewing this will more likely understand Mental Health issues and why it is important to raise the profile of this facet of well-being.

On the 28th of March I will be taking part in a 24hr Football Match for the Aston Villa Foundation in aid of Mental Health projects. If any of you would be so kind to donate to the cause it would be greatly appreciated. We will be playing at the Aston Villa Academy and this is the official arm of Aston Villa's community work. So it's Aston Villa and Mental Health, very site specific! 

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RussellGoodman2020 and you can find more details on there about the event too.

• Like 2

@kurtsimonw I’ve seen many responses to your previous posts  wishing you well and whilst this forum is ‘electronic’ more than physical the number of reactions/replies more than suggests you are not irrelevant and do have an impact on others.

please don’t do anything to harm yourself. 

Edited by theboyangel

@kurtsimonw I haven’t got any profoundly useful advice for you, but just wanted to say please don’t give up. You are as valid and important a human as anybody else is, keep on going and things can change. One day you’ll look back and be amazed at how far you’ve come. Take care mate. 

I concur what @theboyangel said, don’t underestimate the value of your online friends on here. The fact that you feel comfortable sharing with us all, and the genuine concern and interest in your well being should not be overlooked and it’s something not everybody can rely on. 
I am married with 2 kids but only really have 1 mate who I see quite rarely socially.
It sounds like you’re doing the right things so it’s just a matter of keeping going until something clicks into place, and it will. A special relationship with a friend or partner will be the spark I’m certain of it. We’re all here for you @kurtsimonw

• Like 1

Â