What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

5 minutes ago, MCU said:

I appreciate this, but it feels as if I've already made up my mind. I just hope I don't look back in 10-15 years and regret not going down the avenue you said. Right now, I just want out. The job is not me at all.

Fair enough.  Hope you find something more suitable, and good luck.

• Like 1

Today, one of my patients was a former doctor. During his career he would have helped and treated thousands of people, and maybe saved a lot of lives. By all accounts, he was an articulate, intelligent man who cared very much for the people he treated.

And then dementia came along. He was grabbing anything that wasn't nailed down and walking off with it, tearing off his clothes, and going to the toilet wherever and whenever he felt like it.

Dementia is a horrible f###ing disease. It doesn't discriminate whether you are rich, poor, intelligent, or kind, and the effects it has on family members is terrible.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Today, one of my patients was a former doctor. During his career he would have helped and treated thousands of people, and maybe saved a lot of lives. By all accounts, he was an articulate, intelligent man who cared very much for the people he treated.

And then dementia came along. He was grabbing anything that wasn't nailed down and walking off with it, tearing off his clothes, and going to the toilet wherever and whenever he felt like it.

Dementia is a horrible f###ing disease. It doesn't discriminate whether you are rich, poor, intelligent, or kind, and the effects it has on family members is terrible.

Yea, it's nasty.

I moved into my house about 3 1/2 years ago and we had a nice couple next door, with the fella being nearly 70 and his wife was only 55.  

Over the weekend, he's been moved into permanent residential care due to dementia because he was hitting his wife and daughter. 

He was only diagnosed 18 months ago, and it seems it all sparked from a car accident, where a parked car pulled out on him without indicating, causing him to serve into a barrier, which crushed a girl walking her dog.  The dog died and the girl crushed her legs, breaking both of them.

They think the trauma of "causing" it sparked it off, or at least accelerated the condition.  

But, after seeing them regularly in our gardens and chatting over the fence, even in that 18 month period, he's declined very quickly and has become a very frail looking man, who needs help walking and he's forgotten who I/we are completely. 

An awful, awful disease which is just as bad for the families of the person affected.  Hopefully, for the lady next door, he won't go through it for much longer.  As he's only just been taken into care, he's full of hate towards her for putting him in there, when really, it wasn't her choice.  It's just so sad. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea, it's nasty.

I moved into my house about 3 1/2 years ago and we had a nice couple next door, with the fella being nearly 70 and his wife was only 55.  

Over the weekend, he's been moved into permanent residential care due to dementia because he was hitting his wife and daughter. 

He was only diagnosed 18 months ago, and it seems it all sparked from a car accident, where a parked car pulled out on him without indicating, causing him to serve into a barrier, which crushed a girl walking her dog.  The dog died and the girl crushed her legs, breaking both of them.

They think the trauma of "causing" it sparked it off, or at least accelerated the condition.  

But, after seeing them regularly in our gardens and chatting over the fence, even in that 18 month period, he's declined very quickly and has become a very frail looking man, who needs help walking and he's forgotten who I/we are completely. 

An awful, awful disease which is just as bad for the families of the person affected.  Hopefully, for the lady next door, he won't go through it for much longer.  As he's only just been taken into care, he's full of hate towards her for putting him in there, when really, it wasn't her choice.  It's just so sad. 

The really tragic thing is, if he was in his right mind he would probably never dream of hitting his wife and daughter. The disease causes such a dramatic personality change, it is what family members find so hard to cope with. We tend to get a lot of dementia patients who are there due to carer's stress.

I wouldn't wish dementia on anybody. Its a slow death, and causes way too much collateral damage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

The really tragic thing is, if he was in his right mind he would probably never dream of hitting his wife and daughter. The disease causes such a dramatic personality change, it is what family members find so hard to cope with. We tend to get a lot of dementia patients who are there due to carer's stress.

I wouldn't wish dementia on anybody. Its a slow death, and causes way too much collateral damage.

Yea you're right.  He seemed like such a laid back, gentle man.  He's lashing out because as far as he's concerned, he's defending himself from paramedics trying to restrain him for no reason.  

Hopefully in another 30 years, we won't be seeing it get to this point. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea you're right.  He seemed like such a laid back, gentle man.  He's lashing out because as far as he's concerned, he's defending himself from paramedics trying to restrain him for no reason.  

Hopefully in another 30 years, we won't be seeing it get to this point. 

You won't. That's the problem. Everyone close to you will.

If I get it, I hope I can grasp enough sense to do something about it, like bungee jump into a volcano.

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My grandads has started to progress pretty quick. He’s gone almost baby like. I’d love to put him out of his misery. 

That is sad to hear.

I hope you and your family are coping, and if you need it, support is out there.

• Thanks 1

Not been in to work this week and unlikely to change. Before I go to sleep my anxiety kicks in hard, I'm sweating and my heart is pounding, there's no way I can get to sleep. Around 5:30am I drift off and then I'm exhausted when my 7:00 alarm goes off and my anxiety hits again. 

I don't really see a way out of how my life is. I see things so easy for others around me, and I am stuck in this hole of loneliness and depression. Doctors, therapists, medication... nobody and nothing can just change that. 

I just feel nothing. I'm not even sad, I don't cry. It really feels like game over. 

• Sad 1

Kurt have you thought about trying support groups where people in the same boat as you meet up and talk about things. It may open some doors for you mentally and also socially. I’ve got to start some meetings myself for my personal problems that I’m going through at the moment. It might not sound like your cup of tea, but meeting people that are going through the same shit as you could be a positive. I know it’s hard, and I know there is no light at the end of the tunnel at the moment, but you can get through this. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Not been in to work this week and unlikely to change. Before I go to sleep my anxiety kicks in hard, I'm sweating and my heart is pounding, there's no way I can get to sleep. Around 5:30am I drift off and then I'm exhausted when my 7:00 alarm goes off and my anxiety hits again. 

I don't really see a way out of how my life is. I see things so easy for others around me, and I am stuck in this hole of loneliness and depression. Doctors, therapists, medication... nobody and nothing can just change that. 

I just feel nothing. I'm not even sad, I don't cry. It really feels like game over. 

Have you been taking medication for long mate? In my experience it eventually helps. If it isn’t then you should try a different one. Just try not to give up hope.

I've been watching quite a few Jordan Peterson videos, who is a clinical psychologist.  He's not for everyone, and he removes himself from political bias, but does refer to Marxists/the far right as dangerous.  But I think from some of the discussion in here, some of the men who aren't having a great time could find some value in watching a few of his videos. 

I really rather like him. 

34 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

why?

He's an alt-right poster boy who pushes bullshit patriarchal (Christian) morality hierarchy thinking dressed up in psychological clothes and sprinkled with laughable common sense. And he thinks lobsters and people are the same.

He's like the gateway drug to calling people cucks and hating trans people.

• Like 2

Just now, Chindie said:

He's an alt-right poster boy who pushes bullshit patriarchal (Christian) morality hierarchy thinking dressed up in psychological clothes and sprinkled with laughable common sense. And he thinks lobsters and people are the same.

He's like the gateway drug to calling people cucks and hating trans people.

From watching a handful of videos and the alt-right stuff indeed coming up, he does distance himself from any political spectrum, but does acknowledge why the majority of his followers are men in their 30s.  For example, a photo was flashed to him standing in front of a pepe flag with 2 men, to which he explained was a moment in time, that each person who wants to "meet and greet" him after a talk gets roughly 15 seconds, and that the flag was put before him by the people who met him, and that if put in the same situation again, would probably reconsider.

He doesn't think lobsters and people are the same, he's saying that we evolved from the same thing and we obey the same sort of hierarchical societies they do, which, if he's looked into the evidence and found that to be true (evolutionary speaking), then who are you to use it as a stick to beat him with.

I for one don't seem him as some sort of misogynistic demi-god, but someone who is essentially saying whatever your background, you can find a value in yourself and have a meaning to life.  

The gender stuff from him, is that he doesn't agree with a pre-disposed wondering of pronoun before addressing someone, which I kind of agree with.  If I were to introduce myself, and thought of myself as gender fluid or whatever, I wouldn't expect the person I was introducing myself to have guessed that before knowing, that's absurd. 

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

From watching a handful of videos and the alt-right stuff indeed coming up, he does distance himself from any political spectrum, but does acknowledge why the majority of his followers are men in their 30s.  For example, a photo was flashed to him standing in front of a pepe flag with 2 men, to which he explained was a moment in time, that each person who wants to "meet and greet" him after a talk gets roughly 15 seconds, and that the flag was put before him by the people who met him, and that if put in the same situation again, would probably reconsider.

He doesn't think lobsters and people are the same, he's saying that we evolved from the same thing and we obey the same sort of hierarchical societies they do, which, if he's looked into the evidence and found that to be true (evolutionary speaking), then who are you to use it as a stick to beat him with.

I for one don't seem him as some sort of misogynistic demi-god, but someone who is essentially saying whatever your background, you can find a value in yourself and have a meaning to life.  

The gender stuff from him, is that he doesn't agree with a pre-disposed wondering of pronoun before addressing someone, which I kind of agree with.  If I were to introduce myself, and thought of myself as gender fluid or whatever, I wouldn't expect the person I was introducing myself to have guessed that before knowing, that's absurd. 

I'd posit there's a reason a certain demographic likes him, and he knows it. He's saying stuff that appeals to the alt-right. That's an audience I wouldn't want. He does the circuit of their leading lights regularly, playing up to it.

Lobsters and people are completely different. He argues that 'lobster society' is dominated by aggressive males because they get more serotonin which makes them more aggressive and thus a cycle is formed and therefore it's natural that humans have a patriarchical hierarchy dominated by aggressive males. But it's not natural. Theres dozens of examples of creatures with flipped hierarchies - creatures much closer to lobsters who are affected by serotonin in the same way as them have matriarchal societies, polyamorous societies, etc etc. And moreover humans and lobsters are so vastly different that drawing any conclusions from the comparison between them is nuts - they're so different that serotonin actually works reversed in humans - you get more aggressive with less of it. It's just a bollocks pseudoscientific dressing up of his very outdated views. But his audience wants to hear that to get on in life you need to rise above the cucks.

As for the trans stuff, he got caught out on that IIRC because the law basically didn't want you to be psychic, but if someone let you know they wanted to be referred to in a specific way you would need to take note of their wishes. But he got big with the alt right you couldn't make it up crowd and so he had to double down and dodge what he actually feels about it. Which to any normal thinking person is - if someone wants me to refer to them in a certain way, it might be a bit odd, but who am I judge, and it's no skin off my nose.

He's a clearing in the woods. IIRC a guy he worked with before he became famous was appalled when he got big because he viewed him as a hack in the world of psychology. He rejects postmodernist thought in the same way Brexiteers reject Remain arguments - he doesn't like it so just goes 'nah'.

He's the last thing desperate people should turn to. That way lies a very, very dark view on humanity.

• Like 1

Â