What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Is there anything I can do to help, or is it very much "give them space, they probably don't want to be asked about it"? 

This ain’t it. I mean, I guess for some people that might be the case but for most people going through a tough time, having someone get in touch will be a good thing. 
I know on the occasions where I’ve been less than myself, I’ve tended to shut myself away and steer clear of people. This has always been a negative reaction and it’s rooted in a mistaken belief that I don’t want to burden anyone and I can probably deal with it myself. 
I guess I can only speak from personal experience but a distraction from misery is almost always a good thing. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Is there anything I can do to help, or is it very much "give them space, they probably don't want to be asked about it"? 

In my own experience, having someone checking in once and awhile and asking me how things were going made a massive positive difference.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 19:46, T-Dog said:

Posted in the 'Health and Sickness' thread but probably better suited in here.

Does anyone have any experience of taking Sertraline? I recently had quite a 'big' life event that has potentially changed my life, and I started developing OCD symptoms a couple of weeks after, to the point where it was affecting my work. Doc put me on Sertraline and I've been on it since Jan, and at first it seemed to work quite well. The dosage has been upped since, and now I feel worse, more anxiety based OCD about a number of things. I'm guessing 'life' has caused the anxiety, but I don't understand why it's hit me like a train when I'm on double the dosage now? 

TIA.

I know it's an old post but just to add my experience.

I took it for years and it worked well for me. My life situation got a lot better which also helped, but I was on a downard slide before that and the pills definitely did the job.

I'd probably still be on them now if I didn't figure out that they were detrimental to my boners. True story

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

This ain’t it. I mean, I guess for some people that might be the case but for most people going through a tough time, having someone get in touch will be a good thing. 

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

In my own experience, having someone checking in once and awhile and asking me how things were going made a massive positive difference.

Then I shall continue to annoy! Woohoo, my favourite thing :) 

Whenever I message one guy, he'll often give me a huge message with an update on himself, but the other?  very much "yep, not too bad thanks" which makes me feel as though I'm stepping on toes.  But my thinking is "at least he knows I've given him a thought".  

It's hard! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Then I shall continue to annoy! Woohoo, my favourite thing :) 

Whenever I message one guy, he'll often give me a huge message with an update on himself, but the other?  very much "yep, not too bad thanks" which makes me feel as though I'm stepping on toes.  But my thinking is "at least he knows I've given him a thought".  

It's hard! 

What's the problem with stepping on toes? If you do, the worst that could happen is your mate gets the hump for a bit. If you don't and there's something really wrong, well......

Not digging you out specifically here. I would have been of the same mind in the past but if someone is genuinely having a really hard time of it, my experience is that if you push past the initial block, then people can open up. Sometimes you need to persist and give them permission. 

I know it's not that straightforward and none of us are trained experts in wonky brains but sometimes it's worth considering having uncomfortable conversations. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd probably still be on them now if I didn't figure out that they were detrimental to my boners. True story

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It's hard! 

:detect:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

thanks for the reply dude, it’s something I have thought about, maybe I should look in to it more. Thank you.

Genuinely mate, I had three ex girlfriends all say the same thing and two of them worked in that kind of environment and I never ever got it. It took a major life event, and an episode loading the dishwasher, where I finally went 'oh yeah, okay, I see it now', and then when the GP and MH nurse diagnosed it, it all clicked into place.

And, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. It's a coping mechanism and a blessing, as long as it's treated right. 

Feel free to DM me if you want, I'm no expert on this, but more than happy to share my own experiences and knowledge.

• Like 1

Just now, T-Dog said:

Genuinely mate, I had three ex girlfriends all say the same thing and two of them worked in that kind of environment and I never ever got it. It took a major life event, and an episode loading the dishwasher, where I finally went 'oh yeah, okay, I see it now', and then when the GP and MH nurse diagnosed it, it all clicked into place.

And, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. It's a coping mechanism and a blessing, as long as it's treated right. 

Feel free to DM me if you want, I'm no expert on this, but more than happy to share my own experiences and knowledge.

Ah thanks mate that’s so good of you, and so your explanation makes so much sense.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Ah thanks mate that’s so good of you, and so your explanation makes so much sense.

Honestly chief, DM me and I'll ping you my number if you ever wanna talk it thru. Again, not an expert at all, and still getting my head around it, but I hear what you're saying through personal experience. If I can help at all, I will. Take care sir, everything gonna be okay and we all gonna smash this thing called 'life'

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So after the initial referral in August 2021, I had my ADHD assessment today, and that was after using the NHS "Right to Choose" pathway. Still don't have any appointment from the original referral, although 'it might be this summer'

Anyway. it turns out I was right. I have moderate to severe inattentive ADHD. Now to see if medication helps...

On my arse at the minute, I can only link it to the court case, recreational raving and quite a high alcohol content since Feb.

Shit is getting on top, and I mean, proper on top. In a weird space at the minute. I'm a man with a lot of control and routine in his life, and for nearly 3 months I've been living nothing but chaos. Don't really know the answer at the minute.

Â