World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

I’d absolutely LOVE a major nation to boycott this, never going to happen but part of me holds out hope.

Just can’t rationalise how in a world where players are taking a knee before every game to end discrimination they can then go to a World Cup bought by Qatar in facilites built on the exploitation, and in some case lives, of migrant “workers”.

3 hours ago, penguin said:

I’d absolutely LOVE a major nation to boycott this, never going to happen but part of me holds out hope.

Just can’t rationalise how in a world where players are taking a knee before every game to end discrimination they can then go to a World Cup bought by Qatar in facilites built on the exploitation, and in some case lives, of migrant “workers”.

the last World Cup was in Russia the one after is in USA and the next Olympics is in China

Qatar is bad but these countries are just as bad and nowhere near the anger

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

the last World Cup was in Russia the one after is in USA and the next Olympics is in China

You simply can't equate the USA's history of civil rights from the 1950's & 60's and progression towards a more equal society with 2021 Arab states. You are simply trying to blur lines to make some sort of opaque point. 

It's fine to not like the US and it's horrific history of foreign policy. But comparing its social norms with Islamic nation states is moronic, quasi liberal BS.

The real enemy here is the greed of FIFA and if football fans want to grieve anything it's that. Of course along with the 6,500 or so humans who have lost their lives due to that greed.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

USA is nowhere like Qatar anymore. If this is about historical issues we also need to drop ourselves, Germany, France, Italy, Scandinavia etc. It’s almost hysterical to compare Qatar to USA. USA don’t stone people for being gay or deny women any rights at all. 

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

USA is nowhere like Qatar anymore. If this is about historical issues we also need to drop ourselves, Germany, France, Italy, Scandinavia etc. It’s almost hysterical to compare Qatar to USA. USA don’t stone people for being gay or deny women any rights at all. 

Yes the US is such a wonderful place where you can be shot by the police for being black and your killer might not serve a day in prison

Not to mention the mess they just left in Afghanistan 

• 2 months later...
On 14/02/2022 at 22:55, A'Villan said:

I'm looking forward to it. I'll be paying attention to the football and not the politics. 

I think it's pretty disappointing to bury your head in the sand, add to their broadcasting numbers and support this disgusting shithole's attempts at Sportswashing, tbh. The game is gone, bought and paid for, but there's no clearer example than Qatar. Should a country like this be hosting a global celebration of the game? It's a disgrace.

https://www.proceso.com.mx/nacional/2022/2/17/mexicana-sufre-abuso-sexual-en-qatar-la-condenan-100-latigazos-281101.html

Mexicana suffers sexual abuse in Qatar, and sentenced to 100 lashes

Mexican Paola Schietekat Sedas managed to escape from Doha, Qatar, before being sentenced to 7 years in prison and 100 lashes after reporting being a victim of sexual abuse.

The economist, political scientist and anthropologist was working on the Organizing Committee of the World Cup, scheduled for November 21, when what she called her "dream job" was interrupted when a person, whom she considered her friend, sexually abused her on June 6, 2021.

What happened to Paola?

In her account, she said that when she was working at the Organizing Committee of the World Cup in Qatar, on June 6, 2021, a person she considered her friend from the Latino community in Doha, broke into her apartment at night and abused her.

"I kept a cool head: I warned my mom, a colleague at work and documented everything with photos, so that my memory, in an attempt at self-protection, would not minimize the events or completely erase part of them. And I denounced. I denounced because, in an act of self-love, I refused to let someone hurt my body like that again, without consequences."

He spent the night in a hotel in case his assailant returned. He obtained the medical certificate and went to the police in the company of the Mexican consul in Qatar. In his limited Arabic he explained the situation, asked if he wanted a restraining order, doing nothing or going to the last consequences, froze from shock, fear and lack of sleep.

"I turned to see the consul, who recommended me to go to the last instances. I signed the statement in Arabic and gave the details of the aggressor. Hours later, at nine o'clock in the evening, they spoke to me on the phone to go urgently to the police station. Surprised, I asked if it was necessary for a woman who had just been assaulted to go alone to the police station at that time. His response was that if I didn't go, my complaint would be dismissed. I took a taxi. When I arrived at the station, the police put my assailant in front of me," he said.

From accuser to accused

After three hours of interrogation in Arabic, they demanded a virginity test because, suddenly, she was no longer the accuser, but the accused, since her aggressor was defending himself with the argument that she was his girlfriend, and that they had had consensual sex.

"In Qatar, having an extramarital affair is paid with up to seven years in prison, and in some cases the sentence includes a hundred lashes. From one moment to the next, my denunciation no longer mattered. The police referred the case to the public prosecutor's office, the only place I had a translator. Everything centered around the extramarital affair, while, under my abaya, the robe I was advised to wear to look like a 'woman of good morals', followed the marks, purple, almost black. My lawyer hardly spoke. In the end, I had to hand over my unlocked phone to the authorities if I didn't want to go to jail."she added.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 21:11, Zatman said:

Yes the US is such a wonderful place where you can be shot by the police for being black and your killer might not serve a day in prison

Not to mention the mess they just left in Afghanistan 

Exactly. It’s funny how people ignore the fact that American bombs are killing Yemeni people. 

Â