World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

13 hours ago, calcifer said:

I can see Fifa giving 'Russia' a bye if teams refuse to play them, bloody cowards. 

Well if that’s the case everyone should refuse to play them so that FIFA have to give them a bye all the way to winning the World Cup and showing it up as the total farce it is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

As I said, refuse to take part in the playoffs now and the WC won’t even have a full quota of qualified teams to get going.

FIFA will always have a volunteer to step in plus FIFA has a strange arrogance they can save everything. Is enough nut job leaders that will volunteer themselves. Wouldn't be surprised if its a Russia vs Belarus qualifier

16 minutes ago, sne said:

No link but according to German publication BILD there are ongoing talks between FIFA, UEFA and the IOC to ban Russia from all competitions.

Hope it's true.

Its inevitable they will be banned. At least do it before you are forced to by governments try to get some goodwill. 

• Like 2

If Russia get kicked out they might invite Hungary, as the next highest ranked Nations League group winner to not qualify, to play Poland rather than lose the tie.

Norway have the best record for a 3rd placed team in their group, excluding results against the 6th side, that isn't already in the play offs. They are also highest in the FIFA rankings out of those teams, though lower than Hungary who were 4th in their group below Albania.

Edited by fightoffyour

FIFA/UEFA suspend Russian clubs and national teams from all competitions

All Russian clubs and national teams are suspended from participation in both FIFA and UEFA competitions until further notice

Following the initial decisions adopted by the FIFA Council and the UEFA Executive Committee, which envisaged the adoption of additional measures, FIFA and UEFA have today decided together that all Russian teams, whether national representative teams or club teams, shall be suspended from participation in both FIFA and UEFA competitions until further notice.

These decisions were adopted today by the Bureau of the FIFA Council and the Executive Committee of UEFA, respectively the highest decision-making bodies of both institutions on such urgent matters.

Football is fully united here and in full solidarity with all the people affected in Ukraine. Both Presidents hope that the situation in Ukraine will improve significantly and rapidly so that football can again be a vector for unity and peace amongst people.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0272-148df1faf082-6e50b5ea1f84-1000--fifa-uefa-suspend-russian-clubs-and-national-teams-from-all-com/

• Like 1

Until further notice. Russian football teams and their oligarch owners won't be overly keen on the idea that they are banned from european competition next season. Hard to sportswash a club that isn't in Europe or in a major european league.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Excited for Poland v Russian Football Committee in the WC playoffs now.

You'll be gutted they've taken that away. 

I'm guessing Poland now just get a bye?

Knowing FIFA/UEFA, they'll promote someone else to the game rather than lose out on the TV money.

The other WC Playoff is interesting - Scotland have got Ukraine.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Knowing FIFA/UEFA, they'll promote someone else to the game rather than lose out on the TV money.

I've already made the case for Hungary (Nations League) or Norway (best 3rd place in qualification) above, and you could add Slovakia (3rd in Russia's group) to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think I read that Ukraine have been told they wont be allowed play either. Even if they were allowed they would probably have to choose players from abroad

Scotland would probably still lose 

Edited by Zatman

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think I read that Ukraine have been told they wont be allowed play either. Even if they were allowed they would probably have to choose players from abroad

Scotland would probably still lose 

I'd read some talk about Scotland nobly standing aside and letting Ukraine through.

Doesn't sound like something Andy Robertson would agree to.

Â