World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Blame anyone who should be blamed. As a football fan, holding FIFA morally responsible is particularly important to me personally. t is also particularly important to relate these deaths to football and to FIFA, as the World Cup is essentially a brand building stunt for Qatar, which they have bought from FIFA, and I really, really don’t want that stunt to succeed. Highlighting the horrible human costs of it all is important for that reason. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The fourth sentence here is true - *all* construction companies use migrant labour in these Gulf monarchies, because they can and that's how business is done. But it was therefore known, and entirely predictable, that South Asian workers would be kept in conditions of modern-day slavery and die in large numbers during the construction of stadia and associated facilities that did not exist yet.

The lesson is simply that you should not award tournaments to countries which a] do not already have the facilities, and b] have a long track record of serious human rights abuses and safety violations in the type of construction projects that will be required to create the facilities.

The fact they awarded the tournament to Qatar in the absolute dodgiest of circumstances in the first place makes the situation even more repellent. Nobody at FIFA considered for one minute the inevitable loss of life, or the impracticalities of the tournament, because they were busy stuffing brown envelopes in their pockets.

I think they considered it, and then just decided that by their own moral standards it’s all absolutely fine.

FIFA has to be high up on the unethical spectrum, you basically have to be a conniving little scrote to even be offered a position there.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, turnbull said:

In the interests of equality and human rights alone, there's no way England should even consider going to Qatar. 

Sure, but like every other country they are all talk, only Toni Kroos has put his money where his mouth is by retiring from international football 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

🩸💰

David Beckham bags £150million to be face of the Qatar World Cup

The former England captain, 46, nicknamed Goldenballs, signed a deal worth £15million a year over the next decade to become the country’s ambassador.

Earlier this month he flew into the capital Doha for a week touring ­stadiums and meeting dignitaries ahead of next year’s tournament.

The country has faced huge controversy over its human rights record, particularly its attitude towards women and gay people.

However David was assured fans would be safe and allowed to display rainbow flags in stadiums - the symbol of the LGBTQ community.

Homosexuality is illegal but application of the law — identical in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi — has become progressively more liberal. David was also informed about a growing female presence in government.

He consulted with wife Victoria, 47, whose pop band The Spice Girls famously sung about “girl power”, before signing.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16515455/david-beckham-exclusive-qatar-world-cup/

• Like 1

What a shame. I always thought Beckham had played his hand in life quite well without becoming a rocket polisher.

This though, is absolutely shameful. I hope there is some sort of backlash that makes him rethink. He's already got more money than 99.9% of people on earth can even imagine. Why work for this lot?

• Like 2

This is shameful from Beckham, I hope the majority of people can see this for what it is. Him being bribed with dirty money to spread pro Qatari propaganda. It’s stinks.

I wonder what posh spice said when he consulted her? “How much” is my bet. I bet she pronounces it Quatar as well. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Any chance dave becks will give us an update on the death count for each stadium being built? Surely into 3 figures per stadium by now. 

probably not

comparatively the stadiums themselves aren't that bad, its the infrastructure around the stadiums that are really bad and being thrown in to the mix, i think its around 40 deaths on the 8 stadium projects and even then when they fudge the figures they get it down to 3 deaths from actual construction activities (dropping down dead with exhaustion not being a construction activity...)

there was 1 death at wembley from construction activities (scaffolding hit when positioning steel causing it collapse)

they put a load of legislation in place about working hours etc for the stadiums but out the estimated 800k foreign construction workers in the country only around 12k are working on the stadiums and therefore fall under the rules, gives an idea of the scale of what they're doing, only 1.5% of the current construction workforce is on the actual stadiums, the rest are on the roads, hotels, in the case of luisail the whole new city

Edited by villa4europe

Â