World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

11 hours ago, AJ said:

Yeah, holding a World Cup in Qatar makes me think that FIFA really hates football.

I'm gonna suggest holding tournaments in new countries is a good idea.

Now, I'm not saying the World Cup should happen in Qatar. It also shouldn't happen in the winter.

But, the principle of taking a WORLD cup to countries other than the elite is a good idea - people of Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Iraq, Afghanistan, they are fans just as much as we are and should be able to have a competition that is based in their culture/environment. It's a worldwide game and to be shared across all nations. 

It's good for a world cup to happen in that part of the world, but giving it to Quatar (for obvious, above stated reasons) is a mistake. 

• Like 3

they're in a catch 22

i agree that they should be looking to give new countries and new regions world cups

they 100% definitely should not be looking to give the tournament to a country that then has to spend an approximate £138bn on infrastructure to host it, they've built 6 (?) new stadiums, 6000km of new road, £30bn on public transport improvements, new hotels, a new airport, a new city...FIFA need to stop slapping their own backs and looking at all these wonderful upgrades that they're bringing to countries with their tournament, the legacy element of it has gone to their heads, especially seeing as places like south africa have shown that it doesnt work

then you ignore the physical changes and look at the cultural shifts and power of football nonsense...its almost like they're purposefully trying to give the tournaments to intolerant countries so they can shout from the rooftops about what they've changed, thats also utter nonsense

so then the 3rd option if they cant improve the infrastructure or change the culture is they give it to a country that they can increase the market share...

why cant they just give it to a football loving country that already has everything in place? because cant look around at their tournament and see their stamp on it, England are always going to struggle for that reason, we dont need FIFA in this country and FIFA dont like that

FWIW i think the IOC are the same

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they're in a catch 22

i agree that they should be looking to give new countries and new regions world cups

they 100% definitely should not be looking to give the tournament to a country that then has to spend an approximate £138bn on infrastructure to host it, they've built 6 (?) new stadiums, 6000km of new road, £30bn on public transport improvements, new hotels, a new airport, a new city...FIFA need to stop slapping their own backs and looking at all these wonderful upgrades that they're bringing to countries with their tournament, the legacy element of it has gone to their heads, especially seeing as places like south africa have shown that it doesnt work

then you ignore the physical changes and look at the cultural shifts and power of football nonsense...its almost like they're purposefully trying to give the tournaments to intolerant countries so they can shout from the rooftops about what they've changed, thats also utter nonsense

so then the 3rd option if they cant improve the infrastructure or change the culture is they give it to a country that they can increase the market share...

why cant they just give it to a football loving country that already has everything in place? because cant look around at their tournament and see their stamp on it, England are always going to struggle for that reason, we dont need FIFA in this country and FIFA dont like that

FWIW i think the IOC are the same

Agreed, but a big tournament (if the country wants to invest in it) can bring infrastructural changes and help countries that are a bit behind football wise get up to speed.

Now, often those countries choose to throw million and millions of £ to build new hotels, roads, stadiums but let's leave that decision to them. If you make a bid, you do the maths and that decision is entirely on you.

Poland is a good example. Prior to 2012, there were few modern stadiums, now it's booming. I'd argue that infrastructure quality wise the Polish league is ahead of many leagues like Portuguese, Greek, or Danish. 

I think Euro played a part in this, but I also see that those changes could have been made without that tournament.

Once you know you have an exam at the end of the year, you are gonna study hard. Of course, you could have gained that knowledge without attending the exam too. 

thats the obvious shit thing about qatar

its a world cup in a country not much bigger than wales, if you take the actual area based on the location of the stadiums its not that much bigger than the west midlands, compared to 2026 which will take the piss with travelling across 3 countries it will be like hosting a world cup in just new york or LA or mexico city rather than all 3 plus 10 others

it has the opportunity to be something really unique and special for travelling fans...but it wont be because of their culture, people wont go because they wont be welcome there

Then there is the absolutely disgusting waste of money and resources (and human lives obvioisly) it takes to build the infrascructure needed to house a WC when there is nothing there to begin with. 

From what I remeber the stadiums are to be dismantled and shipped to various nations in Africa once the WC is over. Another massive endavour which I'm sure will cost lives and resourses. But maybe Mali or Burkina Faso really really need a new 80.000 capacity swanking new stadium with AC that they'll never afford to run.

Edited by sne

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Then there is the absolutely disgusting waste of money and resources (and human lives obvioisly) it takes to build the infrascructure needed to house a WC when there is nothing there to begin with. 

From what I remeber the stadiums are to be dismantled and shipped to various nations in Africa once the WC is over. Another massive endavour which I'm sure will cost lives and resourses. But maybe Mali or Burkina Faso really really need a new 80.000 capacity swanking new stadium with AC that they'll never afford to rum.

That is the great thing with rum. They'll be to drunk to care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm all for giving new countries and regions world cups, but a tiny country with absolutely no footballing pedigree has no right, imo, to host the biggest tournament in world football.

But I guess I'm preaching to the choir. The whole world knows why Qatar got the world cup, and it's nothing to do with football

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

FIFA really love money, everything else is secondary. 

I had such strong feelings of anti FIFA, that I thought I needed a support group, but I accidentally joined Antifa instead.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

1/3 group games kicking off around 10pm local time. Going to play havoc with sleep schedules for the players. 

Similar to the past EC, where the new formula of playing across the entire continent (during a pandemic) was then classified afterwards as 'yeah, let's not do that again'

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

1/3 group games kicking off around 10pm local time. Going to play havoc with sleep schedules for the players. 

Isn't that because of the heat. Better to play later when it's only 30 degrees. 

Â