World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Nothing to see here, probably just a coincidence...

Regime critic arrested before NRK interview in Qatar

Abdullah Ibhais has repeatedly commented critically on working conditions in Qatar. On Monday morning, he was seen in custody by the police in Qatar just hours before he was to be interviewed by NRK. 

Ibhais was a former media and communications director in Qatar's World Cup organization.

Amnesty confirms that they have received reports that he has been arrested, and several journalists also told NRK.

It is not known why Ibhais was arrested.

Journalist Benjamin Best from WDR is one of two people Abdullah Ibhais is said to have had contact with after he was arrested. The German journalist is following the situation in Qatar closely, and they have had a lot of contact lately.

- Ibhais called me from prison, says Best to NRK.

NRK arrived in Qatar on Sunday, and reporter Halvor Ekeland confirms that he had an agreement with Ibhais on Monday afternoon.

- We do not know what happened, says Ekeland to NRK. 

Uncertain arrest

Ibhais himself claims that the custody is in relation to the media coverage of the case, but no one has confirmed that.

Several media outlets , including Josimar Fotballblad and The Independent, published a longer article about his case earlier this year, claiming that Ibhais was convicted of defending the migrant workers in the country.

Qatar's World Cup committee strongly dissociates itself from the shoulders, and has refuted the criticism on several occasions.

- The committee strongly disagrees with these untrue and defamatory statements, which are based on extracts from internal communication taken out of context, the World Cup committee writes in a press release related to Josimar's case .

https://www.nrk.no/sport/regimekritikar-arrestert-for-nrk-intervju-i-qatar-1.15730755

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skruff said:

In true capitslistic fashion I'll take power as the consumer and avoid reading or wathcing anything thats related to this World Cup once it gets going. 

And I really do hope enough people does, so it hits where it hurts, the revenue. 

I wont watch it. Any company that choose to pay for a commercial spotlight should be called out and hounded on Twitter as so many people/company's does these days.

It doesn't sit right with me to sit down and watch football at stadiums, where 6500 people have died building it. For my own entertainment. 

A world Cup built on the life of 6500 human beings and the tears of their familes. So we can celebrate football in all its divinity, comfortable from home? What makes it even worse, there's so much money involved that it could have been avoided. It's just driven by inhumanity.

Who's taking a knee for the 16 year old boy from Nepal who lost his life in Quatar as a guest worker? 

No one. 

Just don't watch it. 

I'll watch it, of course i'll watch it, i'll hate every minute of england and southgate but will buy in to the we can win it hype

the sponsors will be there not only because the likes of me will watch it but the main ones at least they have to buy the sponsorship packages from fifa in bulk, im sure its 3 or 4 world cups at a time so they dont get the choice to sponsor russia and usa but sit qatar out, TV sponsors its hard to tell because in theory with the cold world cup more people could watch this at home

as for the deaths, back to defending FIFA which is shite...but its a global construction problem that is bigger than FIFA, he illegally emigrated to a country because he would be paid more, lived in terrible conditions and died, these guys have trouble with getting paid, have trouble with health and safety...but that kid died in 2013 before ground was even broken on a football stadium, he died on another construction project, actual deaths of football stadium workers is very low compared to other projects in the country

if you take the lusial stadium, the main stadium for the WC thats designed by the UKs fosters and partners along with America's populous and the interior design done by the UKs AFL and awarded by the client's consultant who are an Australian company called Aurecon and is then being built in a joint venture between qatari contractor HBK and the china railway construction corporation, the infrastructure works around the stadium are being done by spanish contractor Marbu, the clients PM is an american company called Turners

this is a global government problem, followed by global construction problem, then it lands on the lap of FIFA, all football is doing is shining the light, its not to blame for what is happening out there

im a football fan who works in construction, this is on my industry more than its on my hobby

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Agreed, people should boycott it.

But they (or, not enough) won’t because it’s the World Cup. 

I'd like to think I will but when it comes round and it's a month of pure football on TV I probably won't.

• Like 1

Its also going to be on in November/December. The nights are long and cold in Europe and I think it will be difficult to boycott unless you go on a Netflix binge for the month 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its also going to be on in November/December. The nights are long and cold in Europe and I think it will be difficult to boycott unless you go on a Netflix binge for the month 

Think it is easier for me to avoid in that period than in the summer as NHL and the Swedish hockey leagues will be playing and I occassionally follow NFL which will also be playing.

Arresting Scandinavian journalists really isn't a good idea. Norway and Denmark were already very anti-Qatar, and this will give them ammunition. Expect well written articles, documentaries and extreme pressure asserted from the richest democratic countries in the world. Apparently they uploaded all their footage to Norwegian servers before they got caught, so Qatar is screwed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well rightly or wrongly Qatar have said they have been arrested for trespassing on a private property and that they applied for permits that weren't approved. Technically they have broken the law

Wrongly. The journalists say the police never even mentioned this. The police apparently asked them questions repeatedly for 30 hours about who they've seen and what they've done. Nothing about trespassing.

• Like 1

Just to play the devil's advocate here - will the posters who claim they will boycott the Qatar WC also boycott the US WC in 2026?

USA is responsible for terrible atrocities around the world and destabilising entire countries for political gain. Tens of thousands die due to those actions.

Equally, have you just posted this on a smartphone build by low skilled Chinese workers for minimum money and little to no working rights? Why do you support firms who have such a morally questionable business model?

Have you boycotted the Russian World cup?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the arse here; I'm just trying to establish the line of where politics and football should meet. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Just to play the devil's advocate here - will the posters who claim they will boycott the Qatar WC also boycott the US WC in 2026?

USA is responsible for terrible atrocities around the world and destabilising entire counties for political gain. Tens of thousands die due to those actions.

Equally, have you just posted this on a smartphone build by low skilled Chinese workers for minimum money and little to no working rights? Why do you support firms who have such a morally questionable business model?

Have you boycotted the Russian World cup?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the arse here; I'm just trying to establish the line of where politics and football should meet. 

US has done a lot more damage than Qatar, not to mention the domestic systematic racism 

Just now, Zatman said:

US has done a lot more damage than Qatar, not to mention the domestic systematic racism 

I think each issue should be debated, and there is a million of arguments for each point of view.

But how far should we push our morality in order to stop ourselves from supporting our teams at international tournaments?

Because if we take the argument far enough, we should scrap watching Villa - thousands of people suffer from gambling addiction, yet we actively promote various betting firms. Many of those addicted end up breaking up families or committing suicide. 

I'm just not sure I'm on board with boycotting the World Cup, because if I do, why shouldn't I boycott the Premier League who just took on a Saudi ownership of one of the elite clubs? Where do we draw the morality line?

• Like 1

Â