World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Really wished this whole thing was cancelled.

Workers has died, from inhumane working conditions building those stadiums.

I won't be watching it that's for sure. Some things are bigger than football.

Didnt you want football to return durung this pandemic when people were dying as well 🙄

35 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

It will be interesting to see how the european teams get on.Its 31 digrees now in Perth and its 7:30pm.

Australia got the World cup after all then!

happy christmas GIF

Oh wait......23 degrees currently in Doha at 3pm....nothing to see here!

TBF 2 out of last 3 world cups have been in southern hemisphere and winter conditions and thought the best of the three by a mile in terms of quality football was the last one in Russia which was played in a heatwave for half of it.

I see people saying mid season and players will be flying but I assume it will be another very condensed pre season if 21/22 ends normally at end of May and next season has to start perhaps end of July so risk of more injuries as we've seen happening so far this season.

Qatar will be playing in group A of the European qualifications "as they need games ahead of the WC. Games will obviously not be counted as they've already qualified as hosts.

Anyone thing any other nation would have gotten this deal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Qatar will be playing in group A of the European qualifications "as they need games ahead of the WC. Games will obviously not be counted as they've already qualified as hosts.

Anyone thing any other nation would have gotten this deal?

Its happened before, makes up for the spare team in a group

Ireland vs Qatar finally a dream game

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think hot spell really begins there from January onwards.

27 degrees in Perth today but much cooler in Sydney and Melbourne so those are better comparisons.

Qatar gets hot from around March/April and stays hot until November.

Its in the northern hemisphere so follows the same seasons as Europe. Just with a hotter and longer summer.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some absolutely horrific numbers coming out about dead migrant workers (slaves.) We’ve known this all along, but the numbers are staggering. I don’t think I can watch this tournament in good conscience. I’ll be boycotting. 

The Guardian

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

For comparison ours is around 1.35 deaths per 100,000 workers

6,500 is 650 a year, 2 million workers makes it 32.5 per 100,000 workers 

Same as before my problem with it is the labelling of it as a football problem, its not, the WC is a vehicle to get it in the to public eye but its a construction problem, there's circa £200bn in construction of which the world cup is £20bn

There were around 1000 deaths on the Burj Khalifa, again immigrant workers 

Its not for FIFA to fix, its for international contractors, architects, governing bodies, even governments to fix 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For comparison ours is around 1.35 deaths per 100,000 workers

6,500 is 650 a year, 2 million workers makes it 32.5 per 100,000 workers 

Same as before my problem with it is the labelling of it as a football problem, its not, the WC is a vehicle to get it in the to public eye but its a construction problem, there's circa £200bn in construction of which the world cup is £20bn

There were around 1000 deaths on the Burj Khalifa, again immigrant workers 

Its not for FIFA to fix, its for international contractors, architects, governing bodies, even governments to fix 

All those respond respond to only a few things.

1) Public action. Boycotts.

2) $

3) Violence.

1 & 2 are directly related and will result in nothing being done as long as the spice ($) flows. I have so little interest in this particular WC. I guess being Irish, that may be an easier position to take than for others (absent a sudden magical ability to score goals).

Mine will be the same as always, no interest until it starts and then I'll watch as much of it as I can

The last world cup was the same, it was fantastic because of the time, the great summer, the beer, the kick off times were ok, bbqs, it was a great time

This one with the late in the year cold dark and gloomy stuff I'm honestly not sure, I don't think it will get a buzz and work but can't be certain

I do think that with the new airport, the new roads, trains, boats all that infrastructure, the new hotels, a whole new city ffs, if they subsidised it to make it a success via Qatar Airlines and then the size of the place (I looked once, I'm sure the distance between all the venues is not much bigger than the west Midlands, the stadiums are 35m apart) it could be a fascinating world cup to attend, they've gone from the huge distances of Russia and Brazil and then off to North America next and this world cup by comparison is everyone shoe horned in, a city of >1m people is going to get an expected 1.7m visitors, that part of it could be incredible 

@villa4europe

I really can’t agree that this isn’t for FIFA to fix. By giving (selling) the WC to Qatar, they assume responsability for what happens there. FIFA can and should demand real and dramatic improvements be made to workers’ rights and workers’ safety conditions. If they are prepared to help Qatar sport wash its image, they have to accept that responsability. That makes it football’s problem, even if you don’t want to call it a football problem. The World Cup is my favourite thing in the world, but I don’t want to watch this one. 

• Like 4

You're asking FIFA to help provide better conditions or to stop the use of immigrant workers in middle Eastern construction 

That's beyond fifa

Same as its beyond every investment firm or company that has built an office in the region or bank rolled a project using the exact same conditions 

There have been UK construction companies in the middle East using migrant labour for their projects for decades 

The biggest project in Qatar right now is lusail city, $45bn new city, who are the HSE consultants? The Dorsch Gruppe. .. German! Why do they let it happen when they obviously know better? 

Then the FIFA World Cup shouldn’t be taking place in Qatar. Which is the point, really, and why I don’t want to watch it. They could say, if you want to have the WC, you better make sure the workers are treated with a minimum of human decency. In fact, I think it’s their absolute moral responsability to do so. But they won’t. Because they don’t care. And they’ll get away with it, too, because people will still watch and the ad money will keep coming in by the billions. 

The examples you give of companies ‘not forcing change either’ really doesn’t excuse FIFA either, do they? Firstly, two wrongs don’t make a right. Secondly, I expect (or demand, rather) more, morally, from FIFA than from big capitalist corporations. I know FIFA essentially is one, but it really shouldn’t be. 

Edited by El Zen

I also don't agree with the WC being there 

But I still have the problem with how this is reported

The stadiums themselves I think have relatively low deaths, Wembley had a couple (steel workers?) their stadiums are comparable

What is being reported is that a death on one of the huge number of infrastructure projects there is a world cup worker death because without the world cup that project wouldn't exist, which isn't necessarily the case

A worker dies on say a hilton hotel project in Qatar, a project being built by a European company using migrant labour in poor conditions - that's not FIFAs fault, why isn't the blame being aimed at the construction company or hilton? 

Football isn't the answer to this problem, it existed before the world cup, it will exist after the world cup and it exists in middle Eastern countries with no world cup, it should keep its nose out whilst others better positioned to tackle it stick their nose in 

Â