Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Which song was that? There is one which is an awful cover of Bill Withers Lovely Day and there's one that's an anger-inducing butchering of What A Wonderful World. Both adverts make my temper rise 

In her defence, having your voice compared to Karen Carpenter's is a hiding to nothing. The piece in the ad just really annoys me.

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I didn't realise this has been rumbling on for over a month. I spoke to my mate the next day and told him what was going on, and let him know people were gunning for him, and I had no problem him sharing that we'd spoke about it.

It came to a bit of a head today with the responsible director sending me a shitty email criticising me for disclosing private discussions. I stewed on it all day, had a beer, then sent him an email essentially telling him to go **** himself. Feels good, man. 3 interviews lined up for next week. 

I wonder why they offered you the role - they thought you could do the role better, thought he was rubbish at the job, wanted to move him into a different role that suited him better?

It might not all have been about the company trying to get rid of your mate?

I did, I did
Oh, baby, oh, baby
I-I did, I did
You can, you can, you can, you can
I did, I did
Oh, baby, oh, baby
I-I did, I did
You can, you can, you can, you can (get out my head)

Can not avoid this at the moment, worse than the musical doodle on SpongeBob 
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I never appreciated how depressing a toxic working environment can be until I had my recent troubles at my new place.  Getting paid more money just doesn't make up for feeling so unhappy.  I've got an interview this afternoon, hopefully I make a better judgment of this place.  

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I didn't realise this has been rumbling on for over a month. I spoke to my mate the next day and told him what was going on, and let him know people were gunning for him, and I had no problem him sharing that we'd spoke about it.

It came to a bit of a head today with the responsible director sending me a shitty email criticising me for disclosing private discussions. I stewed on it all day, had a beer, then sent him an email essentially telling him to go **** himself. Feels good, man. 3 interviews lined up for next week. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I never appreciated how depressing a toxic working environment can be until I had my recent troubles at my new place.  Getting paid more money just doesn't make up for feeling so unhappy.  I've got an interview this afternoon, hopefully I make a better judgment of this place.  

I hope you both get a new position soon.

That sort of working environment shouldn't exist in this day and age, and it boils my piss that some arseholes think it's ok to treat people like that. rocket polishers.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a situation recently (as management) that if my employee was on here, would probably be ranting about me in this thread, and people agreeing with him, but it was just total bollocks.

I've mentioned before, I manage a development team for ServiceNOW and we have a mixed team of experienced developers and entry level. The experienced we either get from external or other teams, and the entry level internally from other lines of business within the company, usually rough diamonds, or high potentials, and we give them loads of training.

Entry level are sat down on day 1 and told what the salary is, and what they can get.

They get basic salary for 1 year, then after 1 year, if they passed they first certificate, they get a monthly bonus on top of their salary. I've had this same chat 6/7 times already, and some disappointed that they need to wait the full year even if they pass the cert earlier, as these are very entry level people, and I want them to have a rounded level of knowledge; not just cram for an exam just to get more money. Anyway.

One of these entry level developers who joined in May, approached me in October and asked that, if he passed his cert earlier, if he could get his bonus earlier, as he had run into some financial difficulty with the Polish equivalent of NI. I clearly stated that we have this policy in place for a reason, and although I sympathize with his situation, it can set precedent for other entry level people, could be perceived as unfair and we didn't budget for it this financial year (i know budgets aren't interesting but with COVID, plus the bonus being 75% of the basic salary, it can easily add up). But I did say that I'd check with my boss to see if there was anything we could do. He was also sympathetic but we both agreed that this was his mess, and the reasons I stated before outweighed it.

I went back to him and once again expressed my sympathy around the situation, but this is the policy and my boss also agreed we need to go down that route. He was disappointed but he said he understood etc. Case closed.

Recently we hired another 'me' as I have too much stuff on atm to just focus on the team management, and we split the team. We split it based on seniority so the entry levels all went to the new manager. She set up 1 to 1s with her new team and this guy told her he was angry with me because I promised him this bonus earlier and I went back on my word.

I just don't understand how, as an honest person, somebody could shamelessly lie like that. I guess it's my own fault for not documenting the chat and making him acknowledge it, but I generally only do it for disciplinary meetings, and he added this as an AOB on his mid year appraisal. 

Anyway, he would post here that I lied to him during a very difficult time in his life and I would be called all sorts of names :D

(Not related to your situation @Davkaus, to clarify, i wanted to post about this for a while and this just reminded me to do it)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

I wonder why they offered you the role - they thought you could do the role better, thought he was rubbish at the job, wanted to move him into a different role that suited him better?

It might not all have been about the company trying to get rid of your mate?

He can be a right prickly pain in the arse tbh, and has rubbed a couple of people up the wrong way - I've given him that feedback candidly, but I don't think anyone senior has. They're weak management that'd rather ignore a problem rather than actually manage their staff and talk to them about issues.

As I said, I actually would happily move in to that role if he was moved elsewhere, but offering someone a job before the person currently in it even knows there is a problem is just not the way to go about it, IMO.

Edited by Davkaus

I had an interview yesterday... 

Must be something in the VT water

More than anything else I'm just bored, my role in Germany is so diluted compared to the UK that its driving me nuts, spent a long time trying to just enjoy it but I'm doing stuff that I was doing 15 years ago when I was a trainee because my boss can't delegate for toffee 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

He can be a right prickly pain in the arse tbh, and has rubbed a couple of people up the wrong way - I've given him that feedback candidly, but I don't think anyone senior has. They're weak management that'd rather ignore a problem rather than actually manage their staff and talk to them about issues.

As I said, I actually would happily move in to that role if he was moved elsewhere, but offering someone a job before the person currently in it even knows there is a problem is just not the way to go about it, IMO.

The reason i ask is because i've done similar.    I will sound out someone if they are interested in moving from Job A to Job B.     Not because i am planning to get rid of the person doing Job B, but the person doing Job B might be better suited to doing Job C.     But i don't want to approach that person with the new role, unless i know in advance that i will have someone ready and willing to fill their current role.      Basically, i try and get everyone in my dept to get different skills from different roles over time.  And i have to start by discussing with 1 person first and then move down the chain to find the best fit when people move around. 

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:
I did, I did
Oh, baby, oh, baby
I-I did, I did
You can, you can, you can, you can
I did, I did
Oh, baby, oh, baby
I-I did, I did
You can, you can, you can, you can (get out my head)

Can not avoid this at the moment, worse than the musical doodle on SpongeBob 

@sidcowthis 

B2DC296A-8127-4C53-A23D-8ED2C2D0F4DF.png

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Getting a Christmas card in the post from a relative and they couldn’t be arsed to put your names on it.

Just says from [their names].
Pisses me off much more than it should. 

Well I hope you get some better cards and have a Merry Christmas. 

Rds1983 

• Thanks 1

Â