Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ad blocker. I just have it for YouTube. 

Thing is, I didn't mind the odd 1 or 2 adverts at the start of the video. Then they starting adding them at various points throughout the video. GTFO. 

Will ad blockers work for iPhones? I mostly tend to watch videos on my phone. You’re right about the ads in the middle though, especially if I’m listening to music. 

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Since we’re talking adverts, ALL adverts piss me off. I can’t stand them, it would have to be an amazingly good programme for me to watch anything on ITV Hub and the like. They don’t even seem to make any funny ones like they used to. It’s just the same repetitive crap on an endless repeating cycle until you either mute it, switch it off, or tear your own eyes and ears out with a rusty claw hammer. 

I think John Lewis should have taken the opportunity to abandon their Christmas Advert "thing". It would have been an easy cop out to save money after such a devastating year for retail. 

Their sad attempts year on year to meet the expectation built up around them is pathetic to watch. It's just not possible to create perfection and innovation year after year.  Just take the pressure off and say the big advert days are over and put the cash into trying to keep your failing business afloat instead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I never watch live TV, but I watch a lot of YouTube videos which are now littered with them, unless you sign up to premium, which I’m not. Netflix and Prime are okay but then there’s the odd thing on catch up that we’ll watch, then you really pay the price for it. 

Oh man, YouTube is infuriating now.  They are really taking the piss......... Or then again am I another consumer wanting to consume everything and pay for nothing? 

Now that Trivago appear to have stopped running their adverts with that nice Australian woman, I have to concur that they’re all terrible.

Although I have to admit Joy the goth from Experian’s advert (“I thought you said your name was Raven??”) is not entirely unwelcome when appearing on my screen.

• Like 1

First day back today after a week off. You know what its like, takes a while to get up to speed and wade through the vast amount of emails. I had people ringing me at 8am (colleagues, who knew I had been off)

Why can't people just wait a few hours. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

First day back today after a week off. You know what its like, takes a while to get up to speed and wade through the vast amount of emails. I had people ringing me at 8am (colleagues, who knew I had been off)

Why can't people just wait a few hours. 

I agree it’s bonkers, there are some clients i  update at 5:30 on a Friday, and considering I work within banking timescales and opening they are on the phone 9:10 Monday morning asking if there is any further update 🤬

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is definitely true IMO. There were always a vast majority of garbage ones, but if you went back 20 years, you would find some funny and some slightly rude or risque, which were at least a talking point. Now they're all so incredibly *bland*.

I find the Paddy Power ones quite funny sometimes, then remember what type of company they are. The worst of all adverts are the ones with poems on. Worse than rabies they are. 

This one is really getting my goat up. 

YouTube "how to" videos where you get a 5 minute rambling introduction.. Normally what's needed can be conveyed succinctly in about 30 seconds but you've got to listen to some smug clearing in the woods rambling on about nothing to get to it. 

And of course if you try to fast forward and cut to the chase you will just overshoot before rewinding and then finding yourself back in the middle of his twaddle again.  Grrrrrrr. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

It’s true. You don’t see adverts like the old Carling Black Label ones, anymore. The squirrel one comes to mind as does the German tourist one... though that one is a brexiteers dream, it was still funny at the time. 

I kinda  teach my son all the irrelevant  stuff from my era , tv adverts included ..he likes  to go to school armed with this stuff  and discuss with a few of his teachers who are a similar age to me ... he wrote his English book review homework on “ fly fishing “ by J R Hartley  , his teacher got the joke and loved it  , 

To bring it back to your post , yesterday I showed him the Carling black label Dambusters advert and he’s working on how he can shoehorn it into a conversation with his history teacher. :) .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I kinda  teach my son all the irrelevant  stuff from my era , tv adverts included ..he likes  to go to school armed with this stuff  and discuss with a few of his teachers who are a similar age to me ... he wrote his English book review homework on “ fly fishing “ by J R Hartley  , his teacher got the joke and loved it  , 

To bring it back to your post , yesterday I showed him the Carling black label Dambusters advert and he’s working on how he can shoehorn it into a conversation with his history teacher. :) .

One would hope his history teacher isnt a 20 something but a 40-50 year old. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

My daughters teacher is about 23 (and yes, WB).

Oh my.  My sons teacher in Junior School was an absolute stunner. 

I had no idea how well he did at school because whenever she spoke to me I just stared at her in a happy haze. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

This one is really getting my goat up.

Superfluous up  But TIL where the expression "gets my goat" comes from

This expression comes from a tradition in horse racing. Thought to have a calming effect on high-strung thoroughbreds, a goat was placed in the horse's stall on the night before the race. Unscrupulous opponents would then steal the goat in an effort to upset the horse and cause it to lose the race.

Dictionary.com

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The worst of all adverts are the ones with poems on.

Oh Jesus yes. The length of them ads too. **** the **** off you **** pretentious arsehole.

33 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Anyone getting that Bosch BITurbo **** advert? I'll take the Nivea poem ads 10 times a day over that shite 

The worst one currently for me is the Lloyds Bank one with 'It's only just begun' being butchered pathetically by some simpering ****tard. Partly because it's an earworm, partly because that cover is infuriating (sing properly you word removed), but mostly because it's on so **** often (every. single. ad break) that it is never ever out of my bastard head.

The 12 days of Christmas. I swear I never see stuff about them during the actual 12 days of Christmas (25th Dec - 5th Jan). For instance there's a twitter account I follow that is currently on Day 8 of their 12 Days, but what are they going to do from the 13th-24th? Just stop two weeks before Christmas, or go for another 12 days?

Just get it right!

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

The worst one currently for me is the Lloyds Bank one with 'It's only just begun' being butchered pathetically by some simpering ****tard. Partly because it's an earworm, partly because that cover is infuriating (sing properly you word removed), but mostly because it's on so **** often (every. single. ad break) that it is never ever out of my bastard head.

Which song was that? There is one which is an awful cover of Bill Withers Lovely Day and there's one that's an anger-inducing butchering of What A Wonderful World. Both adverts make my temper rise 

Â