Where will we finish ?

Hoping for above 9th is quite optimistic (IMO of course), but more power to you if you feel that. 

For me, I'd be very happy with a 10th-13th place finish.

To me it sounds like, people are forgetting that other teams are also improving, nobody is really standing still, except perhaps Newcastle.

There are 6 teams that look much better than the rest and probably 3 or 4 teams that look like they will be struggling at the bottom but the rest of the sides could finish in any order and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Of course we need to improve defensively but you can still win games as we showed with our good form from February onwards last season. Helps having a world class striker back on board like Benteke.

Lambert teams don't really do defending. Look back to the other clubs he's managed and I'd be amazed if any of them had great defensive records, not even Norwich when they were promoted twice under him and I don't think they were near the top of the defensive league for those divisions.

Conceding bucketloads in the prem aswell didn't stop Norwich finishing comfortably mid table.

That First season when Dunne and Collins were together we were pretty tight defensively.

Yes I said that.

Now look back at 07-08 and 08-09 (both top 6 finishes) and you'll be surprised at how many goals we conceded in games.

Just off the top of my head

07-08 had the 4-4s against Chelsea and Spurs and we conceded 4 twice to Man. United. Pompey also scored five past us that season.

08-09

First two games were beating Man. City 4-2 and losing 3-2 at Stoke which set the tone.

In the run in we had the five game spell of

2-2 v Stoke

Lost 2-0 at Man. City

Lost 5-0 at Liverpool

Lost 3-2 at Man United

Drew 3-3 at home to Everton.

So 15 goals shipped in 5 games. Sound familiar.

All From Memory, - The Dunne and Collins era came after Laursen retired  - could be be wrong - but thats my memory.

I thought (Again from memory) that the dunne and collins first season - we had one of the best if not the defence over a the season.

To me its not just the goals conceeded, its our inability to hold a lead - typically we hold a lead for no more than 15 minutes, which to me says if the opposition really need a goal, they generally get one. Think most of our victories last season were when we scored late on.

I really thought this close season firming up the defence would be top priority. The manner which we have conceeded goals against lowly opposition is a cause for concern.

O.k I meant to say we had Laursen aviable for a fair chunk of MON's reign...half of 06/07 and 08/09 and the whole of 07/08 and we still looked dodgy defensively under MON until the last season when Dunne and Collins turned up.

I agree with holding onto a lead but then again that's been a problem ever since the Gregory days for some reason. That Spurs 4-4 game I mentioned, we were 4-1 up with 20 minutes left and still couldn't win so it's wrong to say it's just been a problem under Lambert.

Somewhere between 1st and 1st

yes that's the spirit. Positive thinking, lets go for the title! Then Lambert would be the greatest manager ever.

Better to aim for 1st and miss it than aim for 14th and miss that.

Keep Benteke and sign a good AM: 4th - 9th

Lose Benteke and sign nobody good: 9th - 14th.

Exactly this. But now we've kept Benteke, and assuming we don't sign a good AM then 10th.

Of course we need to improve defensively but you can still win games as we showed with our good form from February onwards last season. Helps having a world class striker back on board like Benteke.

Lambert teams don't really do defending. Look back to the other clubs he's managed and I'd be amazed if any of them had great defensive records, not even Norwich when they were promoted twice under him and I don't think they were near the top of the defensive league for those divisions.

Conceding bucketloads in the prem aswell didn't stop Norwich finishing comfortably mid table.

That First season when Dunne and Collins were together we were pretty tight defensively.

Yes I said that.

Now look back at 07-08 and 08-09 (both top 6 finishes) and you'll be surprised at how many goals we conceded in games.

Just off the top of my head

07-08 had the 4-4s against Chelsea and Spurs and we conceded 4 twice to Man. United. Pompey also scored five past us that season.

08-09

First two games were beating Man. City 4-2 and losing 3-2 at Stoke which set the tone.

In the run in we had the five game spell of

2-2 v Stoke

Lost 2-0 at Man. City

Lost 5-0 at Liverpool

Lost 3-2 at Man United

Drew 3-3 at home to Everton.

So 15 goals shipped in 5 games. Sound familiar.

All From Memory, - The Dunne and Collins era came after Laursen retired  - could be be wrong - but thats my memory.

I thought (Again from memory) that the dunne and collins first season - we had one of the best if not the defence over a the season.

To me its not just the goals conceeded, its our inability to hold a lead - typically we hold a lead for no more than 15 minutes, which to me says if the opposition really need a goal, they generally get one. Think most of our victories last season were when we scored late on.

I really thought this close season firming up the defence would be top priority. The manner which we have conceeded goals against lowly opposition is a cause for concern.

O.k I meant to say we had Laursen aviable for a fair chunk of MON's reign...half of 06/07 and 08/09 and the whole of 07/08 and we still looked dodgy defensively under MON until the last season when Dunne and Collins turned up.

I agree with holding onto a lead but then again that's been a problem ever since the Gregory days for some reason. That Spurs 4-4 game I mentioned, we were 4-1 up with 20 minutes left and still couldn't win so it's wrong to say it's just been a problem under Lambert.

Lambert s only had 1 season and less funds, But to suggest the defence of last season is comparable to any season under MON is false IMO.

Â