Where will we finish ?

9th-12th

Clubs above us I think will be worse:

Everton -  obvious reasons

Fulham - not done much this summer, may improve if new owner injects money though

WBA - No Lukaku and think their Chairman was managing expectations with his 'midtable Champsionship' bit

Stoke - MH is a decent manager bar QPR. But has to change the playing style and think it's too big a job.

So of the clubs that finished above us, I think we could, with a big improvement ourselves, finish above these (If Liverpool sell Suarez, they will be worse too but we wont finish above them, they'll likely be worse and actually finish one spot higher due to Everton imo)

Clubs that will be better

Norwich,

Southampton,

Sunderland,

All had a great summer so far, between us and these 3 to try and move into the top 10 teams off of their summer business

Undecided

Swansea - in Europe so could do a 'Newcastle' but made decent squad additions so could improve

Newcastle - Squad is still a good squad, management is a joke though so could do even worse

Edited by HalfTimePost

I really wish Lambert would play his first choice defence in pre season friendlies - this would enable them to get to know each other and gel as a unit. Defence still a big worry for me.  15th

He can't, with Okore nursing a hamstring injury. 

Alright first choice from what he has available.

How many clean sheets did we keep in 07/08 out of interest? I'm sure we went a few months without one.I reckon next season will be a bit like that without the 6th place finish.

It's wrong to think we were watertight defensively under MON, only really the last season and we had Laursen available for a good chunk of that.

Of course we need to improve defensively but you can still win games as we showed with our good form from February onwards last season. Helps having a world class striker back on board like Benteke.

Lambert teams don't really do defending. Look back to the other clubs he's managed and I'd be amazed if any of them had great defensive records, not even Norwich when they were promoted twice under him and I don't think they were near the top of the defensive league for those divisions.

Conceding bucketloads in the prem aswell didn't stop Norwich finishing comfortably mid table.

I really wish Lambert would play his first choice defence in pre season friendlies - this would enable them to get to know each other and gel as a unit. Defence still a big worry for me.  15th

Lowton has played all of the pre season games so far hasn't he, same for Vlaar? Those two will obviously be first choice when fit. Dunno who will be left back on the opening day but given Luna is new makes sense to give him more minutes in pre season to integrate into the team.

How many clean sheets did we keep in 07/08 out of interest? I'm sure we went a few months without one.I reckon next season will be a bit like that without the 6th place finish.

It's wrong to think we were watertight defensively under MON, only really the last season and we had Laursen available for a good chunk of that.

Of course we need to improve defensively but you can still win games as we showed with our good form from February onwards last season. Helps having a world class striker back on board like Benteke.

Lambert teams don't really do defending. Look back to the other clubs he's managed and I'd be amazed if any of them had great defensive records, not even Norwich when they were promoted twice under him and I don't think they were near the top of the defensive league for those divisions.

Conceding bucketloads in the prem aswell didn't stop Norwich finishing comfortably mid table.

That First season when Dunne and Collins were together we were pretty tight defensively.

He may not know yet or is trying different things.

Against Wycombe we played:

Lowton   Vlaar   Clark   Luna

Didn't we? I assume first choice will be Vlaar + Okore but without Okore the only real change we could ask for there is Baker in for Clark. But it's preseason.

I'm just thankful we (hopefully) dont have to see:

Herd  Clark  Baker

Lowton                         Bennett

Ever, ever again. Ever.

• Like 1

That First season when Dunne and Collins were together we were pretty tight defensively.

Yes I said that.

Now look back at 07-08 and 08-09 (both top 6 finishes) and you'll be surprised at how many goals we conceded in games.

Just off the top of my head

07-08 had the 4-4s against Chelsea and Spurs and we conceded 4 twice to Man. United. Pompey also scored five past us that season.

08-09

First two games were beating Man. City 4-2 and losing 3-2 at Stoke which set the tone.

In the run in we had the five game spell of

2-2 v Stoke

Lost 2-0 at Man. City

Lost 5-0 at Liverpool

Lost 3-2 at Man United

Drew 3-3 at home to Everton.

So 15 goals shipped in 5 games. Sound familiar.

I think if we can stay free of injuries and the lads confidence doesnt take a pounding after those inevitable opening games we could be something of a surprise package. But those opening fixtures aren't kind ones and we could be nervous for a first win all that will come into play if we start badly. Have to be looking to beat Plop and Newcastle, if we can its gonna be exciting, top 8 would be superb but not enough to keep tekkers interested in a 3rd season lol

I don't think the start is that bad.

It's generally better to play the top teams at the start of the season and we generally perform well at the Emirates even when we lose. Sunderland got a 0-0 there first day of last season.

Don't think we'll lose the Liverpool game and people do realise the Chelsea game has been moved, yeah?

After that it's Newcastle at home and Norwich away. Should be at least 4 points from those two.

Yes I said that.

Now look back at 07-08 and 08-09 (both top 6 finishes) and you'll be surprised at how many goals we conceded in games.

Just off the top of my head

07-08 had the 4-4s against Chelsea and Spurs and we conceded 4 twice to Man. United. Pompey also scored five past us that season.

08-09

First two games were beating Man. City 4-2 and losing 3-2 at Stoke which set the tone.

In the run in we had the five game spell of

2-2 v Stoke

Lost 2-0 at Man. City

Lost 5-0 at Liverpool

Lost 3-2 at Man United

Drew 3-3 at home to Everton.

So 15 goals shipped in 5 games. Sound familiar.

All From Memory, - The Dunne and Collins era came after Laursen retired  - could be be wrong - but thats my memory.

I thought (Again from memory) that the dunne and collins first season - we had one of the best if not the defence over a the season.

To me its not just the goals conceeded, its our inability to hold a lead - typically we hold a lead for no more than 15 minutes, which to me says if the opposition really need a goal, they generally get one. Think most of our victories last season were when we scored late on.

I really thought this close season firming up the defence would be top priority. The manner which we have conceeded goals against lowly opposition is a cause for concern.

There's a lot of pre season left. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that as we get closer to the season's start, the pre season team will start resembling the team we'll see lining up for the first premier league game.

I'd also guess that we'll start against Malaga with a first XI

The games so far have just been about fitness and getting back into the swing of things. The lineup hasn't really mattered.

With Benteke staying I am more optimistic about top 8 - will say 8-10th, whereas with CB leaving I may have said 9th-13th. 

After the top 6 ( and even then i don't think Liverpool are uncatchable ) I think the main rivals for us will be:

Everton - still a good squad even though the change of manager potentially throws a spanner in the works

Southampton - look to have bought really well to be fair and I think they'll have a good season

Sunderland - could go either way, with all the players they've bought + depends how mental di Canio is, but in theory they'll be looking at top 10 too

Then

Swansea - signed good players but I agree with above comment, could struggle with demands of Europe, though they do have a very good manager, much better than Pardew so who knows. Will still be around us in the league

Newcastle - have decent players, but alot of newcastle fans I know are pretty pessimistic but again will be up and around there. 

Norwich - good players signed, but whilst I like Chris Hughton I don't see him pushing Norwich into top 8 contention though

With

West Brom - crashing a bit, probably in the lower reaches of mid table - no Lukaku - rumours of discontent and all that, think they'll struggle

West Ham - can just **** off

Concerned with our pre-season form so far as it has been generally representative of how we perform in the Premiership especially over the past 2-3 seasons.

We need to sign more quality in defence and midfield.

• Like 1

Concerned with our pre-season form so far as it has been generally representative of how we perform in the Premiership especially over the past 2-3 seasons.

I look forward to us using 11 subs at half time in the Premiership.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 3

As has been said a million times, Pre season form, especially at this point, means next to nothing.

I look forward to us using 11 subs at half time in the Premiership.

With some of our performances last season it's a pity we couldn't have done that.

As has been said a million times, Pre season form, especially at this point, means next to nothing.

Yes stevo normally it would be a little early to be concerned but we are showing the same weaknesses as last season against mediocre opposition and if it continues then I believe we all should be concerned.

Â