Where will we finish ?

Mid-table.

I think to expect more would be stretching it. Lambert has already intimated that the rebuild could take 2/3 years, so a fairly solid mid-table finish would be stage one complete for me. Of course, if CB goes it could throw a temporary spanner in the works, but I would imagine Lambert has a plan to cover it.

I think the start of the season can unfortunately put a negative vibe into our team and make us struggle before Christmas. Sure, every team play each other twice, but with this brutal start we can play ever so well and still be dead last in the table after 10 games. At the end of the season I don't think we will struggle as we did last season, I think we will be like 7 points ahead of the worst teams when we arrive in May and then never be in actual danger like this year. We are not far away from all the other teams, but I cannot disregard the complete lack of defensive ability in our team. Not just in terms of ability, but the setup we had last season was naive and we never keep a clean sheet. The best teams build from the back and that creates stability and a safeguard for every one else, in our team I guess most players up the pitch worry if they lose the ball the other teams go and score immediately after. We have signed some players and some of them look decent, but I think it is going to take a long time before we see any dividends. Going from the Danish and Polish leagues to the PL can be tough.

I predict something like 12th, but that can obviously change as far as signings for both us and teams like Soton, Fulham et al goes. That is progress after all, if only a little. I really hope we are not done with the summer transfers, as we have seen other clubs investing heavier after the TV-money changed things around.

If we have sorted our comical defending out with the signings of Okore and Luna we could be in for a much better season. When we were on form in the final third of the season, going forward was not an issue, but defending always was. I'd like to see how Delph and Sylla have developed over the summer in the defending department before writing off the midfield, which was at long periods very weak last season.

Just being able to cut out those stupid set piece goals (especially the late ones) would see us further up the table! I think Okore will really help in this department.

Unfortunately I think we'll be down in the mud again this year. Maybe looking a bit more tidy in play, with less 2nd half losses, but I do think we'll struggle to score without Benteke and our defense will be a bit more solid than last year, but we'll still leak. So I', predicting an improvement over last season, but not reaching the top half of the table. I think Okore will be our defensive Benteke, breaking out on the PL scene (if he stays fit) helping us stay up. Also, I think he'll sign a new and improved contract next season and then leave for Chelsea after 2 successful seasons with us. :)

I think we need another couple of transfer windows before we can think of being top 8.  It seems pretty quiet on clearing out the likes of Ireland etc and I don't think we can afford to bring in too much until they've gone, though much depends on Benteke.  12th would be a realistic target, hopefully without any danger of relegation through the season

As it stands I expect another relegation fight next season. One or two shrewd signings and an adequate replacement for Benteke could see us finish anywhere from 10th down though as there's not a massive deal difference between about 14 teams in the league. 

Edited by nobler

How does everyone feel now that we definitely have Benteke leading the line for another season? I still think we should be targeting "Best of the rest," but realise that we need luck with key players avoiding long injuries. 

We are going to frighten defences with the pace we have in the team. Can we keep clean sheets? Probably not, so we're going to have to out score a hell of a lot of teams this season! 

7th or 8th should be possible. UTV!!!!

How does everyone feel now that we definitely have Benteke leading the line for another season? I still think we should be targeting "Best of the rest," but realise that we need luck with key players avoiding long injuries. 

We are going to frighten defences with the pace we have in the team. Can we keep clean sheets? Probably not, so we're going to have to out score a hell of a lot of teams this season! 

7th or 8th should be possible. UTV!!!!

we've kept an impressive attacking line together, we've also invested in more attacking options to give them competition and cover/rest when needed. we've strengthened at the back too. i'd say there are a couple of other new arrivals to come too, once bent and given and hutton are all out the door (i won't add ireland because i don't think we'll be able to shift the clearing in the woods).

i think we'll inevitably start badly as our fixtures are just horrendous for the first half dozen games. we won't then leave it till january to find the right formula like last year though and I'd expect us to kick on from mid table at xmas and then who knows. i'd be hapy with top half but we might surprise a few and finish 8th or higher

There's no reason to suspect that we'll be much worse than our form thus far in 2013, and on that basis we're 6th, IIRC. So consolidation into 8th place would be about the minimum acceptable return.

I think it's really hard to guesstimate at the moment, still may be more incoming/outgoing & way too early to judge the new players yet especially with half of them being injured already. Sadly it's looking like we may have a poor start what with the fixtures & injuries + new signings bedding in etc.... & as others have said for me it really depends on our start, the first six games are season defining.

Prediction

Lose 4/5 of first 6 = Finish in 12th-15th

Lose 2/3 of first 6 = Finish in 10th to 13th

Win 2/3 of first 6   = Finish 9th to 12th

Win 3 or 4 of first 6 = Finish 6th to 8th

Win all of first 6 = top 4

Key area? DEFENCE.. still no clean sheets so very concerning especially when strength of opposition is considered.. Lower division Bundesliga teams & Wycome Wanderers ffs... I know it's only Pre season & all but even so!

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Â