Where will we finish ?

Facetious alert.

1st-20th

The sad thing is, up to 15-20 years ago that was genuine expectation.

Yup. It's a disgrace the way FIFA, UEFA and the FA have allowed it to get to the point where you know exactly who's going to finish in the top 4 places.

Yes, couldn't agree more Crackpot, and it's the wider fanbase that suffers most. When the gravy train finishes and if Scotland is anything to go by, it will one day, surprises will begin to happen again. I mean, who, ten years ago thought that Rangers would have been relegated and 2nd spot totally up for grabs in the SPL? Very bizarre circumstances I will admit, but it is a portent of what could happen here when Sky pull the plug.

Saddens me to see that Hearts (my Scottish team*) could go the same way at the 'Gers.

*They play in claret and when I was at Primary School and collecting Panini stickers, the badge was second only to the mighty Villa.

Platini - word removed.

There is a long way to go before the season starts and potentially more comings and goings. But I think we have the potential to be 10th and above.

I do worry about the impact of our start and I have said in another thread that we could (that's 'could') be pointless up to the start of October. Over the course of the season, I do believe we will (that's 'will') be okay. Being positive here, it is in our gift to finish 10th and higher. Just how high depends on the improvements of our established squaddies and how well the noobs are blooded.

I'd love another good cup run. I mean... if Swansea and Wigan can do it...

I am expecting a shaky start (this ol' house etc) but I am confident we will have a much better season overall.

I wish I could be as confident as some on here, I think the best we can hope for would be a solid mid table finish and I would be very happy with that. As long as we aren't scraping the bottom again we should consider it good progress.

Nath I think the range from 8th to 12th could be called the middle region of the table, so in that sense most of the more optimistic predictions in here have been from 8th to 10th. So I'd say you're just as confident as most.

A few saying 6th and 7th. Without meaning to split hairs I wouldn't consider 6th or 7th mid table and personally can't see us coming close to that. I know I said mid table but I guess in my head I was taking that more literally than it sounds, i.e. 10th. 

6th and 7th isn't midtable but then I said 'most' too. I'd be more than hopeful of 10th but then I am one of the aforementioned optimists who isn't particularly afraid of anything outside the top 7 over the course of a full season.

I'm expecting a finish between 8th & 10th with a few scalps taken along the way. Hopefully we'll beat Man Utd again at Villa Park, that would make me very happy :-)

We're still developing, not just the players but PL as well. He's done brilliant so far but is still learning tactically.

There is a lot to be optimistic about down the Villa at the moment. A work in progress as they say

UTV!

With Moyes gone I think 7th is up for grabs but I think a 8th-12th place finish will be about right. Don't see us struggling at all but not sure we have the quality to really push higher than mid-table sort of area.

Who knows though, keep Benteke and add a few more faces and this team could surprise us.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Christ knows.  I think if we'd have kept Benteke it could have been a better season than last year.  I know he hasn't gone yet, but he'll either be sold, or will still be here and sulking.  I think a comfortable 10th would be a big improvement, so I'll go with that.  Just hope that Lambert sorts the defence out, as we seem to have less clean sheets then the Geordie Shore shag pad.

• Like 1

All a little pointless until we know the final make up of our squad and that of our rivals. I'm going to wait until August comes around before making predictions.

No need to adjust mine, predictions are always pointless until the end of the window.

Im still predicting bottom 5. Its going to be as bad as the last couple of seasons without doubt

without doubt? I think there is plenty of reason for doubt for any prediction

As things stand, with Benteke & Bent leaving, who are by far our best two strikers of the last few years & not accounting for the unknown impact of the new signings thus far nor those who will come in, if any, to replace either of those departing players then i would say 15th to 19th.

But then add places depending on the success of any replacements & of course Helenius etc. Assuming we do get a good replacement for Benteke & assuming Helenius is Bents replacement i would say that moves us up to 12th -15th. Then if our new look defence holds up & stops conceding so many then that could go up still further maybe to between 9th &12th. On the outside chance that everyone clicks, new signings, Bowery & the young players who broke through last time out up their level then we could do alright..... A lot of if, buts & maybe's though.

Â