Where will we finish ?

Mid table and a decent cup run would suit me fine. As great as it'd be to see a sudden rise to top 8, I think it'll be a slow process. We already improved last season from the season before so the new signings should keep us rising steadily..

• Like 1

probably won't be many more than 9 points between upper mid table and just clear of relegation scrap, and as many games are decided by 1 goal, good/bad luck will make a huge difference on final league placings for many teams. We should be in the mid-table group which means 7-15th depending on the breaks we get. So many teams are so close in quality tho that luck will be a big factor for all teams. A few serious injuries and we could be in trouble again.

Too much unpredictability involved to make an accurate prediction. The role of chance in good/bad seasons is vastly underrated. 

probably won't be many more than 9 points between upper mid table and just clear of relegation scrap, and as many games are decided by 1 goal, good/bad luck will make a huge difference on final league placings for many teams. We should be in the mid-table group which means 7-15th depending on the breaks we get. So many teams are so close in quality tho that luck will be a big factor for all teams. A few serious injuries and we could be in trouble again.

Too much unpredictability involved to make an accurate prediction. The role of chance in good/bad seasons is vastly underrated. 

I disagree - If you've kept things tight at 0-0 or even 0-1 - and you get a lucky goal which gives you a point or all 3, the hard work was done in keeping within touching distance. If you're already 0-3 then get a lucky goal - its soon forgotten as it yields no extra points.

If we struggle again next season, pound to a penny its due to our defensive frailties rather than lady luck. The 8-0, 0-4,0-3 last Christmas were all deserved results - painful as it was.

cant see us finishing above 15th from what ive seen so far. not overly impressed with the signings and still think we need a half dozen players to make us competitive. clear out given ireland and bent to free up wages for 6 coming in and maybe my opionion will change but we have a few injuries already and we looked weak against wycombe so god knows how we'd do against a prem team...

Sylla, Delph and Westwood really impressed towards the end of last season but we still need something more, would definitely like a CAM in at least.

Reckon any of Bent/Ireland/Given/Hutton money being free'd up will allow any more in, or was that already accounted for with the early signings?

Yes we haven't even been at full strength in the friendlies. The defence did improve in the 2nd half of the season and I expect further improvement still next season. We should be stronger in all areas.

Lets judge that we will have a poor season because we were crap against Wycombe. I haven't even being paying attention to the majority of these friendlys.

Anyone remember when last season we definitively abandoned the 3 at the back experiment? I can't for the life of me remember the exact time frame, but seem to remember that since that point our record has been quite good

Leakimg goals was our weakness, I think its down to a lack of cover from midfield especially at set pieces, we are to small. Delph and Westwood are both decent enough but their weakness is their defensive play. Delph has to play this role, Westwood distribution is better so he gets the nod for that role, for me Delph is our weakness and I'm sorry to say it because his effort levels are very high.

We need more height and power to help the back 4, maybe Okore can play between a back 4 and our midfield or Bacuna?

I'll say 8th with 52 points. Any lower than that and I'd like a decent cup run thrown in to make up for it.

I know we struggled last season but there's been vast improvement since then and we've added a lot to the squad too. 8th should be possible.

Anyone watch the skysports preview, after discussing the usual suspects including whether Liverpool will be up there the question was asked what teams could be a surprise, champagne Charlie said we should improve vastly with benteke and last season should be a massive confidence boost considering how bad we were at times, then beagrie said he was impressed with our early Business.

Â