Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

This will be another nail in the coffin for professional football.  Sad that modern football is all about buying trophies.  And to a lesser extent its like the actual games of football come second to everything else.  

• Like 1

We can’t control the external environment, if this happens then so be it, we’re not the only ones to lose out to be affected if the barcodes become a force as it will also affect Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, West Ham and one of the top four. 

Not sure how they will get around FFP, it’s not easy, us and Everton have the money to invest but had our hands tied this summer because of FFP (Grealish’s sale helped us in that sense), I don’t know how that will be different for Newcastle. They will have to invest wisely because of this.

We used City’s rise last time out as an excuse to just survive but we had an owner who didn’t know his a*se from his elbow, that can’t happen again, we have to keep building and investing and looking to progress every season, what happens at other clubs is irrelevant. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The likes of Mbappe, Neymar and Haaland might need a " new challenge " all of a sudden, for footballing reasons, and a " project " of course.

hopefully that's what the geordies think too because there's absolutely no **** chance of it happening

• Haha 1

Newcastles immediate success will depend on the backroom appointments as much as on pitch. 

Going on a mental transfer spree doesn't guarantee success. Initially they'll buy high profile mercenaries (James Rodriguez)

After the likes of Robinho, Adebayor, Santa Cruz etc, it took until tixi begiristain came is as DoF from Barca for city to become successful. 

• Like 1

I think Everton is a prime example of how having lots of money doesn’t mean success unless it’s used well. They went down a path of just buying players seemingly for the sake of it and bought to many of the same type with no plan, spent a fortune and are arguably worse than a side (us) that were in the championship three seasons ago.

it’s not just about money it’s money and planning which I feel we have done exceptionally well in the last 2/3 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

This will be another nail in the coffin for professional football.  Sad that modern football is all about buying trophies.  And to a lesser extent its like the actual games of football come second to everything else.  

Agreed, Saudi Investment Fund is bigger than anything in football today. Football needs to fix itself but isn't capable of that

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed, Saudi Investment Fund is bigger than anything in football today. Football needs to fix itself but isn't capable of that

I think the 90s was the time to try to fix it. European football has cancer and it became terminal a long time ago

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the 90s was the time to try to fix it. European football has cancer and it became terminal a long time ago

You are assuming that the football authorities want a level playing field. They don't. They are delighted to see more oil barons pump millions into the game. More money all round. They couldn't care less about equality. FFP was designed to protect the traditional elite clubs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not sure how they will get around FFP, it’s not easy, us and Everton have the money to invest but had our hands tied this summer because of FFP (Grealish’s sale helped us in that sense), I don’t know how that will be different for Newcastle. They will have to invest wisely because of this.

They don't have to get around current FFP rules.

First of all, current ffp rules allow you to spend anything you want on infrastructure (stadium, training ground etc). Also Premier League FFP allows each club to loose £105m on average every 3 years. Ashley obviously wasn't taking advantage of it, so immediately they have a big wiggle room to spend on players.

More importantly FFP is due to be scrapped in the near future ( could be as early as of next season) and replaced with a Salary Cap. This is rumoured to be a soft salary cap which allows teams to overspend if they pay luxury tax. So they will be in prime position to catch up with their Qatari and UAE neighbours.

Edited by Czarnikjak

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

You are assuming that the football authorities want a level playing field. They don't. They are delighted to see more oil barons pump millions into the game. More money all round. They couldn't care less about equality. FFP was designed to protect the traditional elite clubs. 

I'm assuming no such thing, the PL and Football League are a big part of the problem, as you say.

If I were a benevolent dictator, the clubs would be seized and majority ownership distributed to members/ST holders, with the leagues run by elected fan representitives. The working man's game shouldn't be bought and sold by oil barons and state actors.

Pie in the sky. This game is dead as a legitimate competitive sport.

I'm increasingly drawn towards non-league, but I know they'd sell their soul in an instant if they had a wealthy backer to push them up the ladder. Money corrupts.

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

This will be another nail in the coffin for professional football.  Sad that modern football is all about buying trophies.

In my view the premier league NEEDS more big money coming in to a more diverse range of clubs, purely so we can level the playing field when it comes to money - and then the focus switches back to footballing nous and hard work. For example, Citeh have proven that money can't buy you the champions league - and now they've gone and thrown £100M at us for a player who hasn't improved them. That money will accelerate our improvement, while they arguably have stood still. Let the money come pouring in I say, when it lands in our laps - we will use it better.

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

exactly this, thats why it was championed by an utd

not only does it stop pretenders from challenging them but it also enables them to benefit from others artificially inflating the market, the likes of utd, bayern, barca, madrid etc all still have a bigger shirt sponsors, if the saudis come in and give newcastle £100m a year to put visit saudi arabia on the front of their shirt all that happens is that whoever comes in after teamviewer is going to have to pay man utd £150m a year because they're still a bigger club, if st james park gets renamed for £1bn then the etihad gets renamed for £1.5bn, nothing actually changes 

there's more money in football now than ever before and FFP is part of why

• Like 1

Â