Christian Benteke

Kwan

His overhead kick against Norwich is better. I don't frequent the North Stand very often but swapped tickets with someone on that game and watched that go in right behind the goal. It was a thing of beauty tbf. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Everyone has a soft spot for Tekkers surely?  

A shining light in the darkness of those years.

Yes. People moan about Gerrard and it is justified but his football was like Brazil 1970 compared to how dismal 90% of Lambert's reign was. Runs of 6-7 games without scoring a goal, dark dark days even if we somehow stayed up.

Benteke was just a breath of fresh air when he had those scoring patches and it wasn't just all scoring headers at the backpost which seemed to be his usual goal after leaving us, look at the quality of the hat trick he scored v QPR in his last season. One he ran from halfway line and slotted it into the corner and then scored a late free kick to make it 3-3. Can also remember him curling one in from just inside the box v Man. United infront of the North Stand. Hat trick v Sunderland in his first season showed how strong his aerial game was.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . and then, not coincidentally, we got relegated immediately after he left. 

Aside from his debut Gestede was Sunday league in terms of all round ability compared to Benteke. I think we played Sunderland at home which was Gestede's first start and I knew from that game he wouldn't be enough to replace Benteke as the ball just bounced off his shins everytime we played it through to him.

Not his fault we just signed him to effectively replace Benteke but it was a huge error especially with the signings we made to replace the other departures.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

His overhead kick against Norwich is better. I don't frequent the North Stand very often but swapped tickets with someone on that game and watched that go in right behind the goal. It was a thing of beauty tbf. 

I was in the North Stand too for that. It was an important goal admittedly (an equaliser against a relegation rival) but it was one of those goals where you're celebrating twice as hard just because of how amazing it was.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

He shouldn't have left us. We were the perfect fir for him.  

I think we sold him at the right time, he had maybe another 12 months left of good football before the decline set in. Plus I'd say he was delighted to leave, we were a colossal s***show at the time and only going one way...

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We really weren't. He was propping us up. We got relegated the minute he left. In hindsight he should have went to Dortmund after his first season as was rumoured at the time. Probably would have fulfilled his potential.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If memory serves me correctly, I recall that we were a 'stepping stone' for him. Arsenal was the destination he was heading for. I went off him a bit after that.

He never looked the same after that nasty injury he got.

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We really weren't. He was propping us up. We got relegated the minute he left. In hindsight he should have went to Dortmund after his first season as was rumoured at the time. Probably would have fulfilled his potential.

Klopp was at Dortmund then and he didn't fancy him at Liverpool

• 2 weeks later...

Full interview was a bit shorter than I expected  but still a good touch…

He was an absolute monster for us, such a formidable striker…. we were down if we didn’t sign him and he didn’t end up being so effective… rarely has a transfer worked out so well for us…

He’s right, it was the best time and the peak of his career… that injury really curtailed him too… if only we had him in a stronger team, he might have stuck around and we would have achieved something notable…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Â