Christian Benteke

Kwan

What a powerhouse….remember the day clearly when that fan rang his agent up pretending to be someone from Liverpool and the whole thing then came out in the press properly….then we had Delph turn up in a Man City shirt….many years have passed and we have moved on but those first 2 years it was amazing watching him at VP

What a guy. Its just a shame that we had him during what was a pretty shit period for the club. I have some brilliant memories of him as a player, but my god, that was a grim time to be a Villa fan. He was one of the very few bright sparks, and his goals 100% gave us a stay of execution when we really should have been going down. It was pretty telling that the wheels fell off when he (and probably Delph too) left.

I think that his time at Liverpool and Palace has tainted the memories of most non-Villa fans. When he was at his best for us, he was absolutely one of the best strikers in the league. He was unplayable on his day.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Got me a bit emotional did that. Knowing what came after his departure - what we went through as a club and what he experienced with injuries etc  - made his comments more poignant. 

Also, his English is absolutely fantastic. 

He didn't know a lick when he joined us. One day I hope to speak another language as well as he does English. It's amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Mad that he didn’t take a lot of free kicks before the one he scored. Just on it that day. 

Class act here and just a shame about his injuries. What could have been. Saw him at DC in person and absolutely massive. What a terror he was coming at a defender in full flow with his skills. 

33 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Has always been one of my favourite goals 

Was going to mention that goal. Absolute rocket, power, no back lift, it was wonderful. 

Benteke was unplayable on his day. I knew the Liverpool move wouldn't work out for him and I reckon if we didn't go down, he maybe would of ended up back at VP. 

TBH, I'd still have him on a season long loan now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Still the best striker we've had in my 20+ years following Villa.

By a country mile, as well (I don't really remember how good Yorke was).

Benteke had absolutely everything, he was so complete.  Probably the most dominant player in the air that I've ever seen... but not just a target man, he was a good dribbler, strong on the ball, athletic and deceptively fast.  I've also never experienced such a knowing feeling of goals when a player is one-on-one - and I mean any player, in any side; not just Villa.  Benteke through on goal meant it was a goal.

Unbelievable signing when you consider everything else that was going on at the club back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPJCB said:

I just looked back and we sold him for £33m to Liverpool.

Hypothetical question: how much would he have been worth in his prime in today’s market? 

Could sell him for 60-70m no problem with today's prices.

As said above we were abysmal and yet he was still comfortably scoring 15 + goals in seasons.

Looking forward to the interview. I get the feeling like so many that have left us he realises what a good time he had and certainly rapport with the fans compared to the others he's played for since.

Didn't work out for him at Liverpool. My OH is a Palace fan and she couldn't wait to see the back of him and he really wasn't well liked at Selhurst at the end so imagine that's why he'll speak more fondly of his time here than a few years ago perhaps.

Only disappointment is he was a bit underwhelming in the cup final but our performance was so wretched that day even an Mbappe or Haaland upfront for us would've touched the ball 5-6 times.

Â