Christian Benteke

Kwan

He now has 49 goals in 97 appearances, which means he's one goal away from being the first Villa striker to get 50 in his first hundred since (I think) Gerry Hitchens, 55 years ago.

If he were to stay, it would be fantastic to see him and Gabby race to see who would get to 100 goals first. Gabby currently has 84, Christian has 49 - who would your money be on?

How many games did it take Andy Gray to get to 50?

Keeping him for next season has got to be the most important thing this summer 

Absolutely. Liverpool are in dire need of a striker however on current form he could realistically be a target for a Champions League club. 

I feel winning the cup and getting into Europe could be pivotal in keeping him. Likewise Cleverley.

We all know he's a fantastic talent, but hopefully his inconsistency this year (which I think is systemic of the team, and I don't think his uplift in scoring is a coincidence when the team play better around him) will put potential buyers off. Until January at least...

He now has 49 goals in 97 appearances, which means he's one goal away from being the first Villa striker to get 50 in his first hundred since (I think) Gerry Hitchens, 55 years ago.

If he were to stay, it would be fantastic to see him and Gabby race to see who would get to 100 goals first. Gabby currently has 84, Christian has 49 - who would your money be on?

How many games did it take Andy Gray to get to 50?

Good spot - a quick check in my book suggests Andy made it in 98 games.

3 VT points to you Sir.

• Like 4

We all know he's a fantastic talent, but hopefully his inconsistency this year (which I think is systemic of the team, and I don't think his uplift in scoring is a coincidence when the team play better around him) will put potential buyers off. Until January at least...

I think his incositancy is more to do with being injured for 8 months.

I think his incositancy is more to do with being injured for 8 months.
I think at first yes, but there's certainly a correlation between the Lambert/Sherwood change over and seeing a reinvigorated Benteke. I don't think he was just rusty for all that time. Anyway, I did say 'hopefully', I just want him to stay! Edited by alreadyexists

He's just scarily good right now but the really encouraging thing for me is the vociferous nature of his celebrations (and not just when he scores but for any goal) and the amount of effort he's putting in across all aspects of his game.

I won't believe it fully myself until I see him still in a villa shirt post-September 1st but right now he doesn't look to me like a player who doesn't think he'll still be here next season.

He says, with all fingers and toes crossed ......

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 4

I think he'll give us another year knowing that under Sherwood he could get 30 goals next season and literally have his pick of any club in the world come next summer

That's what I'm hoping to. I think that's the line of thinking that persuaded him to extend in summer 2013 (along with consistent playing time leading up to the WC), but the injuries set him back to the point where he's just now back at the level of interest (Spurs and Liverpool) he was getting back then. I have a bad feeling that he might decide it's not worth taking that chance of waiting again.

Was thinking about this the other day too - he looks like he's really enjoying his football at the moment.

this.continuously smiling and seems to be having alot of fun in games.can't help but think he will still be here next season

If he's going to "give us anothet year" then he needs to sign a contract extension this summer. Benteke is a huge financial asset to us, so letting his contract wind down and lose a large percentage of potential transfer fee isnt acceptable in FFP times.

FWIW, I think after his achilles injury and missing eight months, hopefully he will see that he owes us some loyalty too.

• Like 1

I do think having the European Championships at the end of next season will be a good reason to stick at Villa for another year.

He's playing regularly in a team moulded around his style and he's back scoring heavily again - just the right combination to prepare for an International tournament.

A 'big' move away could be a distraction and take time to adapt to new surroundings, team mates and pressure/expectation (although I have no doubt Benteke would adapt quickly wherever)

I really hope we don't sell him to Liverpool though, he can do better than that. I would rather sell him to Spain or Italy than see him play for them.

I think we'll get one more year. He'll score a hat full of goals next season with a team built around him, and if he impresses at the Euros as well he could literally move anywhere. Best move for everyone would be for him to go next summer. 

• Like 3

He's just scarily good right now but the really encouraging thing for me is the vociferous nature of his celebrations (and not just when he scores but for any goal) and the amount of effort he's putting in across all aspects of his game.

I won't believe it fully myself until I see him still in a villa shirt post-September 1st but right now he doesn't look to me like a player who doesn't think he'll still be here next season.

He says, with all fingers and toes crossed ......

I might be being naive but I think he'll stay and the only reason he hasn't committed his future to us yet is because we're not safe and the focus should be on the relegation battle. If I were him I wouldn't be signing to stay on for another year or whatever the plan is incase we do go down.

Â