Christian Benteke

Kwan

We hold most of the cards, if a club with Chelsea's resources want him then they're going to have to expect to pay an enormous premium for him.

Especially when it was they that sold Lukaku for close to £30 million.

To expect us to start negotiations at anything less than that would be insulting.

• Like 1

Sorry I should have stated "at the minute" - personally it's between Aguero and Benteke for me, with Aguero taking it for obvious reasons. I just can't begin to imagine what Benteke would do at a bigger club, surrounded by better players and against what would then be classed as poorer opposition than the team he is playing for.

Right now, today, Benteke > Aguero. Just. I think that's fair.

Agree with pretty much everyone else though longer term that I have Aguero top, Costa next with Benteke, Sturridge and Kane not far behind at all with perhaps Benteke pipping it due to having a more rounded game. Though I need to see more of Kane to know that for sure. Rooney is still quality mind, when played as a striker. 

Can't think of anyone else that comes close to them. Cisse and Remy perhaps on the fringes, Lukaku maybe at his very best (which isn't near often enough). 

So yeah, £40m is just the start. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Going to a club like Spurs or Liverpool would be silly for Benteke and here's why. If he wants to win the league, he won't. If he wants to play in the Champions League regularly, he won't....

The bigger concern is then where does he go next? If he went to either of those clubs for the price we want then the market for his services becomes minute because the fee would be astronomical and Spurs/Liverpool would be reluctant to sell to anyone else in England. Imagine if we sell him for £30 million, his next club would want at least £40 million and that doesn't happen very often.

It's not that Benteke is too good for those teams because we think they are shit. It's that they are the next level up from us whilst Benteke should be considering going 2 levels up to consistent champions league and title challenging teams, even if he has to assume the role as a rotational squad member.

Going to Liverpool or Spurs is selling himself short IMO.

Honestly, this is nonsense.

I know "we don't like" Liverpool, but they harbour incredibly realistic aspirations of qualifying for the Champions League in general.  Further, they actually do have the ability to challenge for a title.  I know, I know - not a popular opinion here nor one that people seem to accept.  They finished **** 2nd last season (2 points off top!) and if not for Gerrard's slip may well have won the league.  This season they're 5th, 4 points off CL football despite having lost Luis Suarez and also having had Daniel Sturridge injured for the majority of the season.  You add Benteke and a fit Sturridge to their side this season and they're easily, easily top 4.

I know we've had league victories over them and recently beaten them in the F.A. Cup semi-final, but it's ludicrous thinking they're only a small step up from us.  Hopefully Benteke stays at Villa forever.  He's a very good striker.  Just don't be surprised if, should he move, he goes to a team like Liverpool.

Going to a club like Spurs or Liverpool would be silly for Benteke and here's why. If he wants to win the league, he won't. If he wants to play in the Champions League regularly, he won't....

The bigger concern is then where does he go next? If he went to either of those clubs for the price we want then the market for his services becomes minute because the fee would be astronomical and Spurs/Liverpool would be reluctant to sell to anyone else in England. Imagine if we sell him for £30 million, his next club would want at least £40 million and that doesn't happen very often.

It's not that Benteke is too good for those teams because we think they are shit. It's that they are the next level up from us whilst Benteke should be considering going 2 levels up to consistent champions league and title challenging teams, even if he has to assume the role as a rotational squad member.

Going to Liverpool or Spurs is selling himself short IMO.

Honestly, this is nonsense.

I know "we don't like" Liverpool, but they harbour incredibly realistic aspirations of qualifying for the Champions League in general.  Further, they actually do have the ability to challenge for a title.  I know, I know - not a popular opinion here nor one that people seem to accept.  They finished **** 2nd last season (2 points off top!) and if not for Gerrard's slip may well have won the league.  This season they're 5th, 4 points off CL football despite having lost Luis Suarez and also having had Daniel Sturridge injured for the majority of the season.  You add Benteke and a fit Sturridge to their side this season and they're easily, easily top 4.

I know we've had league victories over them and recently beaten them in the F.A. Cup semi-final, but it's ludicrous thinking they're only a small step up from us.  Hopefully Benteke stays at Villa forever.  He's a very good striker.  Just don't be surprised if, should he move, he goes to a team like Liverpool.

Starting off a response by saying "Honestly, this is nonsense" doesn't make your opinion any more valid than anyone elses.

Liverpool is a big step up from us.

I think what most people are saying is Benteke is capable of an even bigger step.

This.

Quite. 

I don't see why a player of his caliber should have to settle for a team that will possibly finish 7th, that has had ONE season in the champions league in the last what, 6 years? 

It would strike me as an odd move. Though if he does go it is not really up to me!

• Like 1

Chelsea wouldn't be a good move for him, he'd be second to Costa. Benteke needs to be the main man at a club.

Maybe PSG now Ibra is getting on and Cavani hasn't been great?

He's too good for Liverpool imo, would do well there I think, but could go to a better club.

Just hope he signs a new contract like Bony did at Swansea, can demand a maximum fee then.

I think what most people are saying is Benteke is capable of an even bigger step.

To who, though? I mean, he's capable of a bigger step in the same way that Wilfried Bony was. i.e: He goes to a team and slots straight in to a rotation system. Where's the starting position at a huge club, though?

Is he replacing any striker at Madrid or Barca? No. Does he replace Aguero or Costa? No. Does he replace Lewandowski or Gotze? No.

I like the guy, he's a very good striker and will continue to improve.  I think we overstate his ability somewhat, though.

To who, though? I mean, he's capable of a bigger step in the same way that Wilfried Bony was. i.e: He goes to a team and slots straight in to a rotation system. Where's the starting position at a huge club, though?

Is he replacing any striker at Madrid or Barca? No. Does he replace Aguero or Costa? No. Does he replace Lewandowski or Gotze? No.

I like the guy, he's a very good striker and will continue to improve.  I think we overstate his ability somewhat, though.

What's your point?

He probably would slot into a rotation system at a top club. And I didn't say every top club in the world would want him.

But there would be better clubs than liverpool after his signature if he leaves, imo. That's all people are saying.

I said before, I'd be surprised if Mourinho isn't at least half interested. Behind Costa who do they have? Remy? He's not really in the same ballpark and I can't see Bamford making the step up that he seems to think he's capable of.

I still think he's destined for Manure, with RVP and Falcao out the door, and Rooney getting on/playing in midfield.

Which, in short sighted financial terms, may be the best outcome for us as United seem to be spunking ludicrous amounts of money up the wall at every opportunity at the moment.

• Like 1

Bamford + a big wedge for Benteke?

I think he would look at what happened to De Bruyne and realise he would only be a sub for Costa and realise its better to stay where he is where he is getting regular football. If he's going to join a club he would have to be the main man up front.

What's your point?

He probably would slot into a rotation system at a top club. And I didn't say every top club in the world would want him.

But there would be better clubs than liverpool after his signature if he leaves, imo. That's all people are saying.

I said before, I'd be surprised if Mourinho isn't at least half interested. Behind Costa who do they have? Remy? He's not really in the same ballpark and I can't see Bamford making the step up that he seems to think he's capable of.

OK, well I guess it depends on the context of being "capable of making a bigger step than Liverpool".  I would assume this to be as a first choice striker.

If we're saying being backup at a top team is a bigger step than this then, sure, he's every bit as good as Wilfried Bony/Loic Remy/Edin Dzeko.

Hard to see how we could keep him this summer. Chelsea, Man Utd. and Arsenal are all crying out for a player like him, Liverpool and Spurs too but they won't be able to compete with the big boys.

What's your point?

OK, well I guess it depends on the context of being "capable of making a bigger step than Liverpool".  I would assume this to be as a first choice striker.

If we're saying being backup at a top team is a bigger step than this then, sure, he's every bit as good as Wilfried Bony/Loic Remy/Edin Dzeko.

It's a bigger step in terms of from Aston Villa to Team X, the step is bigger.

If Benteke will ONLY leave Villa to be a guaranteed first choice, then you may have a point.

But I find that incredibly unlikely

We haven't got to sell him and I don't think Sherwood will unless 1) Benteke wants to leave and 2) The buying club comes up with a price that matches our valuation.

I read nonsense From Jamie Redknapp saying that Villa will find it hard to keep him if a club comes up with an offer of 20 mil or so. Surely we should be looking for at least 40 mil now.

Edited by PaulC

Â