Christian Benteke

Kwan

Going to a club like Spurs or Liverpool would be silly for Benteke and here's why. If he wants to win the league, he won't. If he wants to play in the Champions League regularly, he won't....

The bigger concern is then where does he go next? If he went to either of those clubs for the price we want then the market for his services becomes minute because the fee would be astronomical and Spurs/Liverpool would be reluctant to sell to anyone else in England. Imagine if we sell him for £30 million, his next club would want at least £40 million and that doesn't happen very often.

It's not that Benteke is too good for those teams because we think they are shit. It's that they are the next level up from us whilst Benteke should be considering going 2 levels up to consistent champions league and title challenging teams, even if he has to assume the role as a rotational squad member.

Going to Liverpool or Spurs is selling himself short IMO.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Genuinely don't understand people laughing off a Liverpool link.  They'd be a step up for Benteke and I think everyone knows it.

For all their "being shit", they're 4 points off CL football and 26 points ahead of Aston Villa in the league.  A couple of big purchases (Benteke would be one) could easily see them qualify for the CL.  We're absolutely nowhere near that level.

Liverpool are not ' shit'.

But they are miles further away from Chelsea and Man City than we are from them. They are, this particular season, only just ahead of Southampton.

And they might get CL football, but they'd struggle to get out the group stage.

Before last year they had two 6th place finishes, a 7th, and an 8th.

The reality check isn't needed by those of us that say its ridiculous to think of him going there.

Amazing how people still buy into the myth of that Club.

If he goes in this country it will be to one of the big 4.

Hopefully, as many have said, after at least one more good year.

. . . which is also pretty specious, because which of the current top 4 would he actually start games for? Maybe United, if they get rid of RVP this summer. Otherwise, none. Liverpool is to my eyes the most realistic option if he stays in England (of course, he may not). 

It is sometimes ridiculous reading posts on this site about Liverpool, where people allow the fact that they don't like the club to completely colour all of their perceptions about them. They're a big club. I'm sorry if it hurts to hear it, but it's true. They may even still get CL football this season if Yoonited keep imploding. 

I think Benteke is as close to a Drogba replacement as Mourinho is ever going to find.

. . . which is also pretty specious, because which of the current top 4 would he actually start games for? Maybe United, if they get rid of RVP this summer. Otherwise, none. Liverpool is to my eyes the most realistic option if he stays in England (of course, he may not).

It is sometimes ridiculous reading posts on this site about Liverpool, where people allow the fact that they don't like the club to completely colour all of their perceptions about them. They're a big club. I'm sorry if it hurts to hear it, but it's true. They may even still get CL football this season if Yoonited keep imploding.

I think Benteke is as close to a Drogba replacement as Mourinho is ever going to find.

I was just coming on to post this.

He has said he's loving his football again with Sherwood so who knows, we might get another year out of him. If someone does come in with stupid money though then it's going to be hard to turn down given what we paid for him.

I'd prefer him to go to Spain, Italy or Germany so we didn't have to play against him though if he does go!

Yep, that would be Aguero, comfortably. You can make a case for him being top 5 though considering the waning performances of RVP and Falcao just not hitting his stride.

1. Aguero

2. Costa

3. Benteke?

Yeah pretty much. Possibly have Sturridge up there (remember him?). Even though Kane was in better form, Benteke is easily the better player at the moment.

Yep, that would be Aguero, comfortably. You can make a case for him being top 5 though considering the waning performances of RVP and Falcao just not hitting his stride.

1. Aguero

2. Costa

3. Benteke?

Yeah pretty much. Possibly have Sturridge up there (remember him?). Even though Kane was in better form, Benteke is easily the better player at the moment.

Benteke has more about him than Kane does. More weapons in his arsenal so to speak.

Sorry I should have stated "at the minute" - personally it's between Aguero and Benteke for me, with Aguero taking it for obvious reasons. I just can't begin to imagine what Benteke would do at a bigger club, surrounded by better players and against what would then be classed as poorer opposition than the team he is playing for.

Â