Christian Benteke

Kwan

Just food for thought for those who think having a war chest is a good thing.

We replaced Yorke with Joachim, Barry with Bannan, Young with N'Zogbia and Milner with Ireland.

Selling your star strikers never improves the team. Liverpool replaced Saurez with Balotelli, Spurs wasted the Bale money on average players.

We could get £100mil for Benteke but it won't benefit us as fans. 

yet saints replaced llana, shaw and lambert with tadic, pele , and bertrand so it can work as well. suarez and bale are irreplaceable really as well for teams like liverpool and tottenham. For what its worth I do not think we could replace Benteke with a like for like, most players wont be as good and the ones that are wont come to us or we can not afford, the money would have to be spent on all areas of the squad. I would also though rather keep him for another year and risk loosing 10 to 12 million off his value though.   

Great stuff, goals just flowing at the minute. Interesting today to compare with Lukaku who looked very reminiscent of the Benteke earlier in the season: physical attributes that will always worry defenders & win headers but everything seems to bounce off him rather than stick to him and I'm not sure had an effort on goal. Plenty of this is down to supply though - if you only get the ball played to you once every 10 mins it's hard to make a mark on the match.

Rumours that he's asked to leave. Wants Euro footie. £50m should do it

Bullshit. He may or may not leave but he's not going to be asking to go whilst the season is still on and we're still in a relegation scrap.

Exactly. He'll want to concentrate on getting as many goals as he can for the rest of the season before having any sort of chats about his future.

Yorke was quality and went on to do very well at the highest level when he left us, that was a gap of 15 years so in the future someone else will pop up.

We've had some very good strikers in the period between that, Dublin was brilliant in the air but obviously didn't have the all round game and the neck injury limited him at the top level from that point, Carew was excellent for a period aswell, Benteke like when he was on form but wasn't as mobile and the constant injuries restricted him. Then there was Heskey of....o.k I'll stop it

Benteke is a briliant striker, he can score, he can assist, he can link it up with teammates, he's got pace, he can dribble...it's looking inevitable he's outgrowing us now with his performances every week.

Only doubt is when he gets a bad injury or simply loses form, he really loses form and suddenly can't do many of those things, indeed in the later part of Lambert's reign his touch at actually holding the ball up was awful so he can go from one extreme to the other pretty quickly in a season.

You've got to think though serious bids will be coming our way this summer and we won't reject them all.

Â