Christian Benteke

Kwan

Going to a club like Spurs or Liverpool would be silly for Benteke and here's why. If he wants to win the league, he won't. If he wants to play in the Champions League regularly, he won't....

The bigger concern is then where does he go next? If he went to either of those clubs for the price we want then the market for his services becomes minute because the fee would be astronomical and Spurs/Liverpool would be reluctant to sell to anyone else in England. Imagine if we sell him for £30 million, his next club would want at least £40 million and that doesn't happen very often.

It's not that Benteke is too good for those teams because we think they are shit. It's that they are the next level up from us whilst Benteke should be considering going 2 levels up to consistent champions league and title challenging teams, even if he has to assume the role as a rotational squad member.

Going to Liverpool or Spurs is selling himself short IMO.

Honestly, this is nonsense.

I know "we don't like" Liverpool, but they harbour incredibly realistic aspirations of qualifying for the Champions League in general.  Further, they actually do have the ability to challenge for a title.  I know, I know - not a popular opinion here nor one that people seem to accept.  They finished **** 2nd last season (2 points off top!) and if not for Gerrard's slip may well have won the league.  This season they're 5th, 4 points off CL football despite having lost Luis Suarez and also having had Daniel Sturridge injured for the majority of the season.  You add Benteke and a fit Sturridge to their side this season and they're easily, easily top 4.

I know we've had league victories over them and recently beaten them in the F.A. Cup semi-final, but it's ludicrous thinking they're only a small step up from us.  Hopefully Benteke stays at Villa forever.  He's a very good striker.  Just don't be surprised if, should he move, he goes to a team like Liverpool.

Honestly, this is nonsense.

They harbour largely unrealistic ambitions of qualifying for, let alone getting through the groups of, the CL.

There are four teams who will almost always qualify ahead of them, and they are further away from regularly getting the better of them than we are from getting near the 6 the place Liverpool have averaged before last year.

I can't stand anything about Liverpool, but that has nothing to do with the fact that despite what Liverpool think they are in the pack behind the top clubs, not one of them. In my view Benteke only needs to show that he can keep it up and he'd walk into one of those four.

His goals to games ratio, playing for a club that was creating very little, together with his on the ball ability, power,heading ability, and genuine goalscorers knack, set apart - if he maintains it - from the majority of strikers currently likely to be going anywhere.

• Like 4

I don't think a club like Liverpool will or could pay what it takes to get Benteke with 2 years left on his contract. Another 6 months with his form at this type of level and he will be the top scorer in the premier league.

Liverpool are in decline yet again, squad seems to be ageing and missing what it takes, Rodgers looks vulnerable.

Man U are his next team, unless the other two pile in with major cash

We should demand £40M minimum, because we can honestly get that. Would be awful business to go any lower than £35m with 2 years left.

Hoping we can offer him between 80-100k p/w which reflects his worth and ability and he gives us another year going into the Euros. Gonna be a sad day when he leaves though

• Like 1

Lukaku went for £28m last year, Benteke is a lot better than him in my opinion. £40m for me, I'd rather sell abroad, but would prefer to keep him most of all.

Strikers like Aguero and Diego Costa have shown that they are top, top class strikers. Next in line is Benteke. He really is that good.

Bony at £30million eh, not money well spent really was it. I mean he's a good player but not really delivered on the price tag (yet), could Benteke if it was he making that move?

Anyhow, the bidding for Benteke must surely start at £35 million.

We should offer him at least 100k

That's not exactly great negotiating is it?

Offer him 75k (approximately a 50% raise AFAIK) and see where the conversation goes from there

It's only worth offering him bigger money if we're going to have the players to keep feeding him the ball. As we saw way to often earlier in the season, Benteke without any service is about as much use as Emile Heskey. But, if we keep playing to his strengths and can improve the players around him, then we should definitely offer him more money in order to keep him at Villa and build a team around him capable of challenging the top 6 or, maybe even higher.

Â