Christian Benteke

Kwan

wonderful first touch and finish at the end of the first half, shame he was an inch offside.

He needs to work harder at getting away from his marker when crosses come into the box. He is a little stationary.

wasn't good at counterattacking but there were glimpses of the old Benteke.

should have scored when he went through on goal in the second half, but he looked as if he enjoyed the game :)

• Like 1

wonderful first touch and finish at the end of the first half, shame he was an inch offside.

He needs to work harder at getting away from his marker when crosses come into the box. He is a little stationary.

wasn't good at counterattacking but there were glimpses of the old Benteke.

should have scored when he went through on goal in the second half, but he looked as if he enjoyed the game :)

It was terrible play.  Should never have been offside.  Never.

Amazing what happens when defenders have other players to mark,ie he gets space.

I confidently predict he'll get 7-10 goals by the end of the season.

You mean another 4-7? I think so too. He just needs the one again and his confidence will soar, we've seen it before. A simple one, not a worldy. 

His assist today was exquisite and his all round play was much, much better. Coupled with that if he had scored his one on one I think we would be talking bout a "typical" Benteke performance. Fine margins as ever. 

• Like 1

Amazing what happens when defenders have other players to mark,ie he gets space.

I confidently predict he'll get 7-10 goals by the end of the season.

Yeah it makes a huge difference, he is a nightmare for defenders and if we can get runners into the box he will get goals I am sure of it.

Secon half he undoubtedly start to return to the old beast we know, and i agree about the markers. Our play was so slow and stale 2 defenders just marked him out of every game, we need that battering ram back that people are shit scared to see on the teamsheet.

Secon half he undoubtedly start to return to the old beast we know, and i agree about the markers. Our play was so slow and stale 2 defenders just marked him out of every game, we need that battering ram back that people are shit scared to see on the teamsheet.

Yeah needs to earn the name "The Beast" again. Doubt defenders are shitting bricks like they used to. The time Chris Smalling tried to barge him off the ball, left wing, and ended up bouncing off Benteke and onto his arse at Villa Park is burned into my memory - that's the beast. Set up Weimann for the goal too. One of my favorite goals. 3:29 in the video. Excuse shit quality. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fg-b4QMic8&spfreload=10

• Like 1

Well look Luis Muriel went over a year without scoring for Udinese under a shit coach and he was one of the most promising forwards of that generation alongside Benteke. He just scored his first goal in less than 30 minutes of playing time in his debut for his new team. 

A different coach can be like a new team for Benteke. He's still young and has a lot of time to come back to top form. 

Well look Luis Muriel went over a year without scoring for Udinese under a shit coach and he was one of the most promising forwards of that generation alongside Benteke. He just scored his first goal in less than 30 minutes of playing time in his debut for his new team. 

A different coach can be like a new team for Benteke. He's still young and has a lot of time to come back to top form. 

Absolute beast on FIFA 14 too!

• Like 2

Thought he looked a different player yesterday and I'm hoping this is the turning point for him. A goal on Saturday could be the start of goal spree which he owes us after the lack of effort he's shown over the past month or so.

Thought he looked a different player yesterday and I'm hoping this is the turning point for him. A goal on Saturday could be the start of goal spree which he owes us after the lack of effort he's shown over the past month or so.

I think the biggest change was there were other players in the box which meant he wasn't marked by 2 centre halves every time. The goal will come.

• Like 4

Has Benteke peaked?

There's a lot of focus on him again and the idea that Sherwood needs to give him a kick "up the backside" to get him functioning again. First of all, that all sounds pretty simplistic to me, and I don't think it will work, frankly. Was he somehow already under too LITTLE pressure under Lambert? Hard to imagine. Shouldn't we be trying to envision a post-Beneteke Villa?

But I also wonder whether -- and I hate to say this -- he's a bit of a lost cause, and he'll absorb energy and time better spent elsewhere. I feel that Sherwood needs to push back on the idea that he has to work with what he's been left.  The fact is, Sherwood or not, we still need a top-class, reliable striker, do we not, and we're sunk if Lerner stays in denial about that. So many people love the narrative of the prodigal son who is reformed and brought back into he fold to assume his role, but I'm finding it hard to think of other successful models of this sort rejuvenation. On the other hand, a whole lot of counter-examples spring to my mind -- Torres, Michael Owen, etc etc.

I hope Sherwood will early on use his positive rep to push back on Lerner. Sherwood may be Mr. Tough Guy with confidence-lacking strikers, but can he stand up to his boss and speak some home truths, which I KNOW PL never did?

Â