Christian Benteke

Kwan

Just watching MOTD highlights - (NOT US !)  - But watching the Burnley equalizer - look at the conviction and purpose with which he goes up for the header - contrast that with Benteke who barely gets two feet of the ground for some of his challenges..

The sad thing is these were the type of goals Benteke has scored for us previously so he is well capable of scoring them.

It was about 3/4 weeks ago lol.

It would have been mad to sell him 3/4 weeks ago.

It really wouldn't though. All ifs/buts like, but the money 'could' have been used to invest in the whole squad including a striker who is actually interested in being here.

People make out like my point is simply 'oh yeah, just turf him out and play gabby up top'.

Clinging on in sheer hope that he's going to rediscover form from 2 years ago so that we can demand a truly obscene fee, is mad.

Were going down, and wel get jack shit for him. 12-15m would be my guess.

Clinging on in sheer hope that he's going to rediscover form from 2 years ago so that we can demand a truly obscene fee, is mad.

Yeah, which is why no one will buy him, Woody. If we can all see his massive dip in form since his first season, then surely the managers of other teams also see that, which is why they aren't exactly breaking down the door to buy him.

That's twice what we paid for him, so it's not exactly jack shit. It would be a good profit. I actually doubt we'd get that much for him, on current form I'd be surprised if we got back what we paid to be honest.

FWIW, I think Christian's problem right now is a mental one -- lack of confidence, maybe scared that he'll re-injure himself. Possibly some physical things too, maybe he can't move quite the same as he used to. I still think he's got the potential to be a class player, but he needs to rediscover his form, and for Villa's sake I hope he does it quickly.

He didn't have an ACL injury. It was Achilles.

Could still be the reason. Just saying.

My mistake. Still, same point. Haven't seen him jump very high at all.

Generally i dont think he has , but against spurs he was jumping so well he was taking the ball on his chest whilst defenders were going in with their heads , i dont think the problem is physical

It was about 3/4 weeks ago lol.

It would have been mad to sell him 3/4 weeks ago.

It really wouldn't though. All ifs/buts like, but the money 'could' have been used to invest in the whole squad including a striker who is actually interested in being here.

People make out like my point is simply 'oh yeah, just turf him out and play gabby up top'.

But selling 3/4 weeks ago means we would have gotten the lowest price for him since he's been here (excluding his first couple of months I guess)

It would be like selling your shares in something when they're at their lowest price. it makes no sense.

Yeah it looks like we might go down, but I certainly wouldn't have said that in january. It's perfectly reasonable to assume Benteke's form and ours, would pick up through the second half of this season and we'd get more for him.

it's not madness to suggest we sell him. But it would have been madness to do it in January when his stock was so low.

• Like 4

Has been doing extra training/shooting practice and staying behind according to Bham mail

Think we've got one of these at BMH yet?

54e813c3da00dd98cb4e87ed716c9340.jpg

Seriously though, I back Tekkers to get back to his best again. Needs to work hard, get fed and work for the ball. He needs to find that space and duck around defenders again.

Generally i dont think he has , but against spurs he was jumping so well he was taking the ball on his chest whilst defenders were going in with their heads , i dont think the problem is physical

Achilles tendon is pretty important in jumping. More so than an ACL anyway so it would be fair to say that he isn't jumping as well. I suppose it should be noted that he missed pre season and maybe he'll be back to himself next season (whether he's here or not), but the achilles tendon is very important for a jumping man. 39% of NBA players who have the injury never play again. Well the study was of 18 players with an average age of 29.7, and 7 of those never played again and only 8 of the 18 played for more than one season after the injury. Benteke is a bit younger, and football is not baskeball, but there is a lot of changing direction and jumping involved in Benteke's play, as there would be in basketball. It's a really bad injury, especially for the type of player Benteke is. Beckham did his at age 35, and came back but Becks and Benteke would be very different players, and Beckham would be on the wane anyway. John Barnes says he never got his pace back after his rupture.

Yakubu tore his and came back from it after 12 months, pretty much returning to how he played before the injury, although 15 months later he dropped down to the Championship, and I guess he and Benteke might be similar players. I'm not sure. I guess it's hard to know. I haven't noticed his jumping has been worse. I've just noticed that his all round play hasn't been as good. I think I've been unfair on him maybe, and impatient. I wouldn't be too surprised if we never again saw the world class Benteke we had on our hands previously. We've been so unlucky in recent seasons with such serious injuries and Petrov.

I was thinking the same. He just hasn't looked the same in the air for a long time. Surely it can't just be lack of confidence.

Â