Christian Benteke

Kwan

Start him. Put him in front of a midfield 5 that contains Sinclair, Gil and ideally another wide player (Grealish? N'Zogbia?).

He may not score - but this is the key to us staying up this season, for mine. Get them used to each other as soon as possible.

The goal was down to skill from Gil and then a run into the box from Okore to score. I don't see Gabby's connection to that.

That was also our only shot on target in the entire game!

Ok I know that, but it was more a stats can be deceiving type thing. I'd also wager this season we as a team have scored more goals with Gabby playing up front than with Benteke playing up front.

My main point I do think is valid though, if being dropped for an hour has given him the kick up the arse that he needed, then great, bring him back in and he could destroy Hull on his own - he, as we all know, is unplayable when on form. However, if it has not then he should remain on the bench. At this moment in time, Gabby contributes more to the team than Benteke, and I never thought I'd say that!

Benteke, poor or not , might score. Gabby wont. No brainer, you pick the better player. And that's Benteke.

Not at the moment he's not.
Yes he is. Do you think Gabby could score a goal like the one Benteke scored against the Mancs. Or for that matter , the one he smashed in against Blackpool.Form is temporary, class is permanent. I've seen nothing from Gabby that leads me to believe he will give any defence the problems that Benteke can. We simply don't have the luxury of a squad where we can leave out our most potent weapon.I don't want to see crosses coming in from Sinclair without the big man being on the end of them. Eventually the beast is going to start firing again. Hull on Tuesday would be a good time to start. He can't do that stuck on the bench.
The united game was 2 months ago. Even the Blackpool game was a month ago.

What if he doesn't start firing again against hull? And we're stuck with the current benteke for that game? Can we afford that in a game we need to win?

Gabby has a habit of scoring crucial goals for us down the years. I'd be happy for him to be given that chance tomorrow. Benteke's form doesn't mean he can spend an hour on the bench and come straight back in.

Fwiw I think Benteke will start tomorrow. But I'd rather see andi or gabby there for now.

And when was Gabbys last goal. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Lets just hope whoever we pick, we get the right result.

Fair point.

But when was Gabby's last good performance? I'd say it was Saturday.

When was Benteke's? I'd say it was that Man United game 2 months ago.

There's an argument for either. Personally I'd rather see the player who is trying at the moment and is more likely to make some runs, pull defenders around and give Gil some options as opposed to the player who isn't trying at the moment, will stand on the edge of the box and not move for 90 minutes, lets balls bounce off him and won't make any runs.

But I think you'll be pleased as I expect Benteke to start.

I don't think it will have escaped Lambert that Gabby was very good against Hull at home. They really struggled to cope with his pace that day. Part of me is thinking Chelsea was a warm up for Gabby (i.e get back into leading the line on his own). The kick up the arse for Tekkers was a double benefit.

Personally I'd still find a way to get him in there probably at the expense of Weimann.

I don't think it will have escaped Lambert that Gabby was very good against Hull at home. They really struggled to cope with his pace that day. Part of me is thinking Chelsea was a warm up for Gabby (i.e get back into leading the line on his own). The kick up the arse for Tekkers was a double benefit.

Personally I'd still find a way to get him in there probably at the expense of Weimann.

To me, Weimann is the most troublesome of our front three for defenders, and also the most likely to score.

• Like 2

I know what your mean but it causes me great difficulty to see him play wide. Even though he works hard (yes I get that).

For me I like my premier league players to have a basic level of football technique that you feel comfortable they can make a five yard pass 10 times out of 10.

Decent striker he could potentially be but as a wide player he is in my opinion a major factor why we create zero chances. Gill shows what a player in that position is supposed to be doing, its been that long since we had a player like that I think we've all forgotten.

On topic - Benteke would love to be getting on the end of some of these Gill crosses.

It's a real tough one to see where this current version of Tekkers can fit in. We need the mobility up front as it's  creating the space for the likes of Gil and Delph to run into.

Maybe:-

------------------------------------Guzan------------------------------------------------

------------------Vlaar------------Clark-------------------Okore----------------------

----Hutton------------------------------------------------------------Richardson-----

-----------------Sanchez/Cleverley---------Westwood-----------------------------

---------------------------------------Gil-------------------------------------------------

------------------Benteke---------------------Gabby---------------------------------

or

--------------------------------Guzan------------------------------------

Hutton-------------Okore---------------Clark----------------Cissokho {Full-Backs attacking, defenders running out wiith the ball due to added protection} (Poss swap Clark for Cissokho and put Vlaar in at CD)

---------------------Delph-------------Sanchez-------------------------- {Strict instructions not to burst forward}

Gil----------------------------Benteke----------------------------Gabby 

------------------------------Weimann-------------------------------------

What I think we need to steer away from is using Weimann and Gabby as the defensive wingers which we've used them as  a lot recently. All that happens in that case is they get pulled back all game, exposing Benteke + Whoever our AM is that game as it's impossible to rely on just 2 attacking players. the protection will have to come from 2 sitting anchor-midfielders who don't leave gaps.

I also prefer one of Gabby/Weimann leading the line as their mobility causes the other team's defence to sit deep...something which Benteke alone doesn't give us currently. I'd rather see Benteke dropping deep for the ball than standing up front idly waiting for the perfect pass.

Edited by Djemba_Villan
  • Like 1

To me, Weimann is the most troublesome of our front three for defenders, and also the most likely to score.

He also looks the best at linking up with Gil (probably because he actually makes runs)

I'd like to see him tried in the centre at some point

• Like 2

Not only that, I think a message needs to be sent that it's not really acceptable to do that.

Same with Sanchez's shocker vs Arsenal. The message is performances like that aren't ok.

I know that's contradicted by the fact people like Cleverley play every week, but I still don't think that changes those decisions in isolation.

• Like 1

I agree. I also think Benteke is a decent sort and I think he'll react the right way to the axe rather than go full Balotelli on us. Up to last weekend it wasn't unreasonable for him and us to think he was nigh on undroppable, and even subconsciously the performances drop off the back of that. This kick in the hole will do him wonders and I think the fixture timing is perfect. Drop him for a game we statistically might have lost regardless and get him motivated for a game we need to be at 100% for. If he can get somewhat back on track against Hull then it sets him up nicely for the next few. I won't praise Lambert for his man-management because I know it doesn't go down well in here :P

• Like 4

I would consider selling him. We don't want players at the club who only try when the going is good. 

I think he is off regardless in the summer for what it's worth and I do believe clubs will be in for him.

He might fetch enough to strengthen the team for a new manager hopefully if that is the case.

Dropping him and Sanchez was the right thing to do, the Cleverley situation sort of takes away that though in my opinion.

He is still a very good player going through some bad form but will score goals before the end of the season (or atleast should do).

• Like 1

I agree. I also think Benteke is a decent sort and I think he'll react the right way to the axe rather than go full Balotelli on us. Up to last weekend it wasn't unreasonable for him and us to think he was nigh on undroppable, and even subconsciously the performances drop off the back of that. This kick in the hole will do him wonders and I think the fixture timing is perfect. Drop him for a game we statistically might have lost regardless and get him motivated for a game we need to be at 100% for. If he can get somewhat back on track against Hull then it sets him up nicely for the next few. I won't praise Lambert for his man-management because I know it doesn't go down well in here :P

You know, and this is the thing. Lambert gets things right (transfers, the Benteke thing), but he also gets things wrong. It's probably not right to think he gets everything wrong, and the same for everything right. But not everybody thinks that way. It's a forum for opinions and nothing will change that.

As for Tekkers, I do think he will start tonight (with Gill and Sinclair).

Edited by DK82
  • Like 2

and how long are we likely to wait?

Â