U.S. Politics

maqroll

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not sure which American city is the most liberal. Maybe Austin or Seattle these days?

Add Portland to that list I would have thought? They would be the 3 that springs to mind the most. Maybe SF/SJ/Paolo Alto region as well

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Add Portland to that list I would have thought? They would be the 3 that springs to mind the most. Maybe SF/SJ/Paolo Alto region as well

Portland yes, but is also probably the most polarised place. Looniest of the lot on both sides there.

Also remember hearing recently that DC is pretty much the most Liberal city, surprisingly.

Edited by a m ole

All good suggestions. I suppose there are a million different ways to define it as well. My sense of western cities like Portland or Seattle is that they tend to be very liberal-seeming in having lots of young people, comparatively liberal drug laws and cultural cachet, but also low taxes and deeply inequitable land use, but I may be wrong on this, it's just an impression.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

FBI has started an investigation about potential inside job letting the insurgents in and how they could find Pelosi's office so easily. 

Some individual police officers appeared to be cooperating.

If there's one good thing to come of this, it's that the new leadership can't sweep it all under the carpet and talk about "healing the nation". The last 4 years cannot be forgotten and forgiven. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

A bit of a side issue, but I think you have to make a bit of a distinction between New York on the federal level, where it is undoubtedly very liberal, and on the municipal level. It's true that the mayors preceding Giuliani were Democrats, but mostly not liberal ones as far as I understand, especially Koch.

Not sure which American city is the most liberal. Maybe Austin or Seattle these days?

Wasn't trying to argue which city in the US was the most liberal, to be fair. Just trying to fathom how a city that is unquestionably very pro-Democratic could vote for someone so batshit crazy far-right.

You can understand New Yorkers voting for a Republican who's still left-leaning on many issues (like Bloomberg, who used to be a Republican), but I don't understand how they could have possibly voted in a Giuliani.

31 minutes ago, legov said:

Wasn't trying to argue which city in the US was the most liberal, to be fair. Just trying to fathom how a city that is unquestionably very pro-Democratic could vote for someone so batshit crazy far-right.

You can understand New Yorkers voting for a Republican who's still left-leaning on many issues (like Bloomberg, who used to be a Republican), but I don't understand how they could have possibly voted in a Giuliani.

When Giuliani ran for mayor, he ran on a tough on crime platform which appealed to a lot of new Yorkers after 20 years of Mafia, decay and crack cocaine. He wasn't crazy yet and he wasn't a culture wars figure yet.

• Like 1

Â