Jimzk5

I think I've forgotten how football works.

I've finally seen the highlights of the Wolves game - for WBA's first, can somebody tell me how you give a penalty when the contact is outside the box? That's not the first one like that I've seen recently either.

VAR checks these, right? What am I missing here?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

I think I've forgotten how football works.

I've finally seen the highlights of the Wolves game - for WBA's first, can somebody tell me how you give a penalty when the contact is outside the box? That's not the first one like that I've seen recently either.

VAR checks these, right? What am I missing here?

It was right on the line from what I saw, which counts as a penalty.

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

amazing to think we have played 2-3 games less than all other clubs (exc. 2).....but 4 games in hand over wolves now.

our fixtures are really gonna pile up at some point.....

Not really. That will be reduced to just 2 games in hand by next week. We aren't in Europe.or I'm either cup.eituer so fixture congestion isn't an issue at all.

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

How about the Neves better than Grealish argument that was being put forward by them a couple of years ago? 🤣😂🤣😂

The amount of muck Grealish has been compared to honestly.

It's fans desperate to not admit how obscenely good he is. We've had Neves, Hernandez, Maddison. All of them swatted aside by Jacko.

The players to compare him with are the best players in the world, De Bruyne, Pogba, Thiago. People will accept it soon enough.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

amazing to think we have played 2-3 games less than all other clubs (exc. 2).....but 4 games in hand over wolves now.

our fixtures are really gonna pile up at some point.....

Not really, This time next week it will only be 1 or 2 with most teams 

Edited by Kingman

I give them a pass this year. They've lost three of their best players from last season in Jiminez, Jota and Doherty.  

I do agree that a lack of progression might create a "Randy Lerner" effect at the club  where the owners lose interest after realizing that you need billions and not just millions to be competitive and developing an international brand only works when you have superstar players and a winning team.

PS: I always cringe when foreigner owners buy an English club and talk about international marketing - latest being the new Burnley investors. No one in China or India cares about you unless you are lifting trophies or have world class players in your ranks. Even Leicester City hardly moves the needle in Asia despite their Thai owners. Yes, they have a few Thai sponsors but that relates to the owners business links in the country and has little to do with the LCFC brand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

PS: I always cringe when foreigner owners buy an English club and talk about international marketing - latest being the new Burnley investors. No one in China or India cares about you unless you are lifting trophies or have world class players in your ranks. Even Leicester City hardly moves the needle in Asia despite their Thai owners. Yes, they have a few Thai sponsors but that relates to the owners business links in the country and has little to do with the LCFC brand.

Absolutely. I sell VIP holiday packages to the Premier League across Asia. Mostly in South East Asia but also in China. 

As an authorised reseller for both Man United and Liverpool Hospitality, I can assure you that nobody gives a toss over here about anyone else. Even Man City doesn't sell. 

Funnily enough, when I approached Man City I told them their corporate hospitality needs to be competetive for us to be interested in working woth them. They came back with an offer to sell us packages at several times HIGHER price than either Man United or Liverpool. Totally misunderstanding the fact that those 2 have almost the entire market share and sell out every week, whilst they are nobodys that NEVER sell out.

Wolves attempts to conquer China are laughable for the reasons above. They could win the league every year for a generation and still not usurp Man United and Liverpool over here in Asia. 

Nobody cares about anyone else to any commercial degree.

• Like 3

I kept saying last season when they were lording it that if they lost three key players down the spine of their team like we did they would struggle. Their fans didn’t listen.

Well it might not be entirely down to injuries but now they get to see for themselves. What’s that one win in nine?

They are in for a really hard second half of the season and after three years of progress some of their fans are already getting restless. Amazingly some even want Nuno out.

I hope they get their wish as I think he has done a superb job with them.

• Like 3

I think clubs kinda have found them out a bit as well.

Teams aren't as open against them now. And counter attacking is really their main strength.

Playing that way isn't really that sustainable if you want to break into that top 6.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think clubs kinda have found them out a bit as well.

Teams aren't as open against them now. And counter attacking is really their main strength.

Playing that way isn't really that sustainable if you want to break into that top 6.

Not sure about that.

Wolves were very successful playing counter attacking football, that was in danger of being rumbled and had probably taken them as far as it could so Nuno tried to change the way they played.

He tried dropping the wing back system with 5 at the back and going to a flat back 4 and a more possession based game. It’s a tough transition to make and it’s not gone well for them.

I get why the Portugal association is easy to make with their red and green 3rd kit but I think there might also be a Asian market play there as both those colors have symbolic values in at least Chinese culture. Luck and wealth.

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

I give them a pass this year. They've lost three of their best players from last season in Jiminez, Jota and Doherty.  

I do agree that a lack of progression might create a "Randy Lerner" effect at the club  where the owners lose interest after realizing that you need billions and not just millions to be competitive and developing an international brand only works when you have superstar players and a winning team.

i would imagine (and i have no professional expertise to base this on) that you would need asian players to really get the asian nations on board. i believe spurs have a farly large Korean following due to Son playing for them for example.

not sure how much impact having a chinese/thai/indian owner really has in terms of overseas following.

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

not sure how much impact having a chinese/thai/indian owner really has in terms of overseas following.

I doubt the owner's nationality has any bearing on it at all. We have followers in Egypt because of Trezeguet and (to a lesser extent) Elmo, not because of Sawiris.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think Nuno will work it out and they will start picking up points again.  The loss of key players and the bedding in of new ones takes time. Fans are so reactive, they were bound to have a dip. 

From my experience too many of their fans bought in to the idea that they were different from all of us who have tried before to get CL and failed

What they're doing now is establishing themselves firmly as an OK mid table PL team

But that's not the expectation or what they want and maybe most importantly they all know that these big buys they're making won't be there forever which is giving them now or never ants in their pants, last season was the year to do it and they messed it up 

Too much success too quickly has spoiled them

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i would imagine (and i have no professional expertise to base this on) that you would need asian players to really get the asian nations on board. i believe spurs have a farly large Korean following due to Son playing for them for example.

It helps in terms of marketing but that's where it ends. Leicester have their own shop at Bangkok Airport for example, but it doesn't get them many fans. Not really. Sure they had a good number of Thais pretending they supported Leicester when they won the league, but it soon reverted to type. 

As I explained in my post above, nothing any club does will break the duopoly the two red clubs have across Asia. 

(Although granted, having a player from a given country does increase that players clubs exposure in said country)

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

It helps in terms of marketing but that's where it ends. Leicester have their own shop at Bangkok Airport for example, but it doesn't get them many fans. Not really. Sure they had a good number of Thais pretending they supported Leicester when they won the league, but it soon reverted to type. 

As I explained in my post above, nothing any club does will break the duopoly the two red clubs have across Asia. 

(Although granted, having a player from a given country does increase that players clubs exposure in said country)

This is why Arsenal are a little clever for once by trying to get into the African market. They already have a big fan base on the continent but Chelsea and United not far behind

• Like 1

Â