Jimzk5

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This is why Arsenal are a little clever for once by trying to get into the African market. They already have a big fan base on the continent but Chelsea and United not far behind

well us too. the signings we made from africa in recent years has massively increased our social media following (granted, all of Tanzania seems to hate us now and wants us relegated) but it's a huge market and one we've done well to tap into. elmo has 2.5m twitter follwers ffs...1m more than our official club account. we should keep this flow of african players coming into the club for sure, if they're good enough obviously. fortunately so far they have been by and large

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This is why Arsenal are a little clever for once by trying to get into the African market. They already have a big fan base on the continent but Chelsea and United not far behind

True, same with Chelsea. But again, we have marketed a fair bit in Africa and the places that have money tend to still be Man United and Liverpool whereas lots of the poorest places tend to "support" Arsenal. Which isn't much use to them in the grand scheme of things.

36 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well us too. the signings we made from africa in recent years has massively increased our social media following (granted, all of Tanzania seems to hate us now and wants us relegated)

The Tanzanian hate boner seems to have died down considerably since Samatta moved to Turkey and has had about the same level of success there as he did here. There are still a few of them I've seen having around, and they're generally grateful to Villa for giving one of their own a chance in the PL, something that was totally unthinkable to them.

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Not sure about that.

Wolves were very successful playing counter attacking football, that was in danger of being rumbled and had probably taken them as far as it could so Nuno tried to change the way they played.

He tried dropping the wing back system with 5 at the back and going to a flat back 4 and a more possession based game. It’s a tough transition to make and it’s not gone well for them.

Thing is Trent it was totally the wrong time to try and changes systems with practically no preseason to embed the system in to the squad. The issue is they have spent incredibly poorly and have gambled on having another season where they avoid injuries to their big players and it hasn't worked out for them.

Wolves fans are kicking off because they really thought Fosun were going to bankroll them to the top despite being told by numerous fans it doesn't work that way. As it is Fosun have lost the pin code and so no more signings this year, couple that with their biggest fear being realised as we have overtaken them and currently are the top dog in the west midlands and because they went all billy big-time on us Villa fans it's hurt them.

Mind the gap.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Thing is Trent it was totally the wrong time to try and changes systems with practically no preseason to embed the system in to the squad. The issue is they have spent incredibly poorly and have gambled on having another season where they avoid injuries to their big players and it hasn't worked out for them.

Wolves fans are kicking off because they really thought Fosun were going to bankroll them to the top despite being told by numerous fans it doesn't work that way. As it is Fosun have lost the pin code and so no more signings this year, couple that with their biggest fear being realised as we have overtaken them and currently are the top dog in the west midlands and because they went all billy big-time on us Villa fans it's hurt them.

Mind the gap.....

Trying to reinvent the wheel rarely ever works and is a bad idea.

That being said they've looked like the same old Wolves to me when i've watched them this season.

Stays is a low block and waiting for opportunities to counter. They may have tried different formations but the system seem the same.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Mind the gap.....

Perhaps... perhaps not it is impossible to say really. Wolves could have approached this season in the same way and run into the same or similar difficulties in which case the criticism would have been his unwillingness or inability to change from a counter attacking game. We don't know though so we can't say with any certainty.

I agree that the circumstances made it harder to implement the change though. I'm not so sure they've spent poorly, they've just put a lot of eggs in not many baskets and the wrong player got injured, that happens. I also don't think they had more money to spend so their lack of depth was always going to bite them sooner or later. I said last season they'd been very fortunate with injuries, did they gamble that they would be again or did they not have the money to change that? Again we can't be sure.

Wolves fans seem to think progress should be linear and continuous but football really isn't like that for any club, let alone one that has had something of a meteoric rise in recent years. I do think the bragging they did is biting them on the arse a bit and driving some of their current reactions but then its also just how some football fans are.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree that the circumstances made it harder to implement the change though. I'm not so sure they've spent poorly, they've just put a lot of eggs in not many baskets and the wrong player got injured, that happens. I also don't think they had more money to spend so their lack of depth was always going to bite them sooner or later. I said last season they'd been very fortunate with injuries, did they gamble that they would be again or did they not have the money to change that? Again we can't be sure.

The thing is they spent £35m on a completely unproven teenager as backup. I appreciate that it's always difficult for teams that only ever play with one striker because the second guy doesn't get much pitch-time, so it's not the easiest sell to recruits, but that was a lot of money and they could have chosen to buy someone with more first team goalscoring experience (albeit probably also a lower ceiling) and had a lot of change left over.

I think they’ve actually bought some of Europe’s most sought after talents, Silva, ait nouri, however, Vitinha they’ll all go on to be very good players, the problem is they’re all too young and raw, Silva in particular, he’s a replacement for Jimenez in 2 years time not now, agree it’s a hard sales pitch, they have the long term replacements but not the short term, there’s a lot of gaps in the squad

add to that the younger player that they’ve bought that are ready is semedo who is right age, the right type of player, coming from the right place in a CL team and an international, right kind of value...but he’s shit...said many times here the problem with the conveyor belt of talent is eventually they’ll sign an nzogbia, semedo looks like that right now

they've recalled cutrone, he’s another one, bad signing, they did great with the kids last summer but not very well with the 21 to 23 year olds that would make a huge difference this season 

• Like 2

If you think our fans are reactionary take a look at Molineux Mix.

It's like the end of the world on there.  You wouldn't think that the fan base had recently experience League 1.  Finishing 14th in Premier League (their current position) would represent the 3rd best finish of most of their life times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If you think our fans are reactionary take a look at Molineux Mix.

It's like the end of the world on there.  You wouldn't think that the fan base had recently experience League 1.  Finishing 14th in Premier League (their current position) would represent the 3rd best finish of most of their life times.

Probably miss the Lambert days in the Championship or Big mick 17th place finishes

• Haha 1

I think there's a number of things going wrong at Wolves right now, they'd had a very good run, several near perfect transfer windows, a few practically injury free seasons... at some point there was always going to be a dip.

It seems a strange decision to change the system/style when there was such a short turn around in the summer, no chance to drill it in to the players on the training ground.

Also, the recruitment has been a bit peculiar, almost all of the full backs on their books seem more comfortable being a wing back rather than a full back, including Semedo and Ait Nouri who they signed in the summer, and yet they've tried to change to a back four. From the outside looking in that doesn't seem like very joined up thinking. On top of that, if you are going to be changing system at the start of the season I'd suggest it might not be the best time to suddenly focus your recruitment on youth, younger players find it easier to settle in to a settled system, it's harsh on the likes of Silva right now.

Nuno is struggling and not just in a footballing sense, he hasn't seen his family much since Covid. I think he's a brilliant manager, very articulate, intelligent, intense. I wonder if his intense coaching style isn't maybe resonating with the players as much as it did before the lockdowns. We are living in dark times, I think a major reason for our success recently has been the camaraderie between the players, there's a real team bond that Smith and his coaches have helped to create. It looks a fun environment to work in. I wonder if Wolves could do with a new coach or a different personality in their dressing room to change the dynamic. 

I look at their team sheet and I don't see many goals, they really relied on Jiminez too much in that respect, it wasn't a problem until they started conceding. 

I think they will be fine, I don't see them getting relegated unless Nuno walks and they appoint Walter Zenga again...

• Like 3

Wolves have a big problem in midfield, Moutinho and Neves are both very similar and both been out of form for a while now, and beyond those two they don't have much else. Vitinha hasn't impressed as more of an attacking option from that area, which is why they've had to recall Gibbs-White from his loan with Swansea.

Edited by useless

Â