January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Who was that striker we nearly got in the summer but just missed out on him, I can't think of his name again.. can anyone help?

Wilfried Bony?

Edit: If so won't he be off to Africa Cup of Nations now?

Edited by sne

I am going to say 6 players needed no matter what the cost (yes in region - im not expecting Messi & Tevez like players) but I know 30m or so could get us 6 good quality players.

... will we see anywhere near that amount arrive? very debatable.

There is absolutely no chance we will sign six players. I 'd be extremely surprised now if we see three but so long as they include a couple of central midfielders I could see that being enough to see us safe. A centre back is also a must if Dunne is unlikely to be back anytime soon.

Can we have a tricky winger who can dribble, pass, score and cross?

nzogbia is shit at all of those things

Maybe after we get a couple of good CM's, including a strong DM, another quality CB and a LB, they're priority I would say.

If you look at our squad, I believe 12 of them would get regular footie in the Premier League somewhere.. But..

With Given, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Ireland and Bent clearly not Lambert Players...

Leaves 7/8 Senior(ish) players I believe worthy of a Claret and Blue shirt squad number, from what I've seen.

So 14 Squad players (young + potential).

I see us needing at least 6 Senior players added to the team for balance, not to win anything, just to compete.

We need a squad of individuals that covers the spectrum of consistent maturity V youthful volitility to providing competition for all positions. Then these players with potential need work hard to get a game.

I just don't think this will happen until the summer....

My random guess will be 2 grade -B players, "with something to prove" or "Stepping Stone" this window.

Fingers are crossed I'm wrong.

I am going to say 6 players needed no matter what the cost (yes in region - im not expecting Messi & Tevez like players) but I know 30m or so could get us 6 good quality players.

... will we see anywhere near that amount arrive? very debatable.

Even if we could get 6 players for $1M in transfer fees it wouldn't matter...6 players good enough to improve us would mean way too much in additional wages until we're rid of the magicians whose signature trick is turning large wages into ass-splinters. When are people going to realize that the long-term commitment of the wages is the thing that matters, not the transfer fee? If the transfer fee is high enough to be of concern it pretty much guarantees that the the wages will be out of our range.

People on here keep moaning in disgust that we're not in for player X because he's quality in is available for "only" $3M. If player X has proven quality his wage demands will not be $20k/week or less. Finding proven quality/experience in the right position that wants to come to Villa, at reasonable (for Villa in the current situation) wages from a team that wants to sell is not easy. It may leave no options but a somewhat unknown from an inferior foreign league or young, lower league players. Whaddya know? That's pretty much all that's been signed since Given, Hutton and Zog. Unfortunately, I don't expect anything different this window, unless PL decides there's no one fitting these criteria in the needed positions and doesn't sign anyone at all.

Can we have a tricky winger who can dribble, pass, score and cross?

nzogbia is shit at all of those things

I disagree. He's brilliant at dribbling, he's completely oblivious that any of the other three things exist.

Though I think he's played well when given the chance this season.

Zog has to decide what sort of player he is going to be really. No doubt he has talent, but the likes of us and Wigan are going to be the pinnacle of his career unless he decides to extract the digit

i just dont think we are going to sign anyone and if we do it will be more lower league dross which is not up to the challenge of the prem so why **** bother I cant believe how badly run this club is. It's actually shocking!

If 10 million is ultimately the most money Lerner is willing to spend right now, he should sell the club immediately to an owner who will spend whatever is necessary to keep the club in the Premier League. We are on a plainly obvious path toward relegation with the team we've got now.

I had believed we would be spending upto 20 million this window on 3 or so players midfielders mainly.

However Tayls comments today in the Daily Fail (if true) have shocked me. He is actually still connected to the club so if he gets the "no money" vibe then I am tempted to believe it.

Lets hope his quotes are bollocks made up by the Rag. Very worrying if true.

• Like 1

Indeed..... He's a good DM and would be a pretty good signing if we are looking for Lower Leagues....

Lower League Shopping List...

James Chester

Harry Maguire

Liam Trotter

Harry Forrester

NRC

Some good shouts in there. I would like to add Dale Stephens to that list. Trotter and Stephens would give some size and strength in midfield. Chester I´m all for, he is highly rated. Maguire is one for the future, was the standout performer for me in the playoff final at Wembley last year at 18 years of age.

Some abroad suggestions, Raoul Loe DCM from Osasuna, a beast. Would certainly add strength to the team, probably not very expensive either. If Bent goes I would like us to go for Jozy Altidore, I think the next club who signs him will make a coup.

Again, like every window, I would just prefer the club to come out and say "we have no plans to make any additions even though we are well below standard"

At least then it stops all the bullshit and ends the hope right then and there instead of building it up as we all (hope/pray) think we will suddenly pull a few (necessary) signings out the bag.

Just be up front if we're not buying anyone...although I can imagine they are playing the 'soon we will buy someone' card to sell more tickets to Bradford as professing will sell more half season tickets.

Actually, having read my own words, I'm convinced that's what is happening. We are staying coy on the subject as openly stating we are not buying will not sell tickets to Bradford which would in turn harm our chances of Wembley and lose half season ticket sales...I don't think we are buying anyone...which is funny as I don't think we'll get to Wembley either...although I'm really looking forward to a nearly full house on Tuesday!

As with all my posts of this nature, I do hope I am wrong...

• Like 1

I personally think they are very worried about us getting any players in that will become the next Hutton, Warnock, Collins or Dunne.

You can never really know for sure that is going to happen, you can limit the chances of failure by doing research and vet any potential signings.

Perhaps that is what takes so long this month when we clearly need players. Its easy for us to say sign him he's good, we know nothing more apart from seeing him a few time son MOTD. These same people will be quick to moan and point fingers when the player doesn't perform, how the reaction on the team and wages has no effect to them or their job, just increases their moaning.

Edited by VillaForever1970