January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

you people have short memories. when we got rid of players off the wage bill last window.. we brought one in. we have to sell to buy.. wages not transfer fees

Given our current predicament in the league, and the fact that two of our highest earners (Dunne and Warnock) are gone in June don't you think the club would bend the rules slightly this time?

I'm sorry to say but that isn't true. If Lambert had £10m it would be happy days with a new defender and new centre midfielder. It isn't there. So they won't be coming.

So why have we had a few indications in PL interviews that we are looking to strengthen midfield and defence but not one statement saying there is no money and we will be working with what we've got.

This is a pointless argument as we dont factually know what they are doing. We will just have to wait and see.

Ok guys, at risk of exposing myself to some very scary name calling...

I have a friend that is heavily involved with the aston villa former players association, I'm sure a few of you know him too if you are regulars at VP, Addys, aston social, etc, but I will not reveal his name out of respect. I asked him if anything is happening and all he could tell me is that there is £10M already available for transfers and potentially more.

I took potentially more to mean that should the right player be available at the right price then Randy will bankroll it on the proviso that some players will leave as soon as is viable to recoup the money.

Take what you will from it but I have never had bad information from this source so I 100% believe we have money. Doesnt mean we will do business though!

To be fair this is what I understood the position to be a couple of weeks ago - I didn't hear £10m but I did hear that Lambert could sign a couple of players - not Sissoko level but decent, experienced pros to fill CDM and CB positions. From what I know the situation has now changed and these players will not be financed - I don't know what has changed to make that happen

I think PL may still be able to bring in a couple of bargain buys but I'm not sure he will do that as it is the first XI that needs improving not another couple of squad players

Maybe, if someone is sold things might change but I'm not banking on it.

I've also heard that Bent is unlikely to be sold for what it's worth

So why have we had a few indications in PL interviews that we are looking to strengthen midfield and defence but not one statement saying there is no money and we will be working with what we've got.

This is a pointless argument as we dont factually know what they are doing. We will just have to wait and see.

I think PL thought he would be able to get a couple in - I understand he has been told now that he can't. Don't know why

There could be a whole number of reasons, of which that would be one - if it was the reason and there was money to spend then it seems strange that a new manager wouldnt be here already with only ten days to go to window close

But if the decision not to provide money has only been taken recently then that would explain it.

Nevertheless if what you and Hairyhands say is true then it would put some of my doubts on Lambert in perspective but it still wouldn't cover his mistakes tactically with the team, but rather than continually being scathing of both your posts I will give you both the benefit of the doubt until the window closes by which time everything should be a lot clearer at what is exactly happening with our club?

My take would be that PL was told that there was money available for transfers if reasonable deals could be done. PL submits a list of players he would like and the club goes to work on potential deals. These deals then prove unreasonable due to wage demands, agents fees, transfer fees or any combination of factors, at which point PL is told no deals can be done from his wish list. That doesn't sound too far-fetched to me.

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines.

Money is there, but there are no bargains in the January window and competition for quality players is high - ergo no deals.

No, because at least then he (Draeen Bent) wouldn't be able to keep another team up.

And that is just cutting a nose of to spite a face. I think Randy would sooner have him off the wage bill rather than keep him here on 70k+ a week doing **** all and to be honest I don't think Randy or the board will give a shit where he goes. It's only holding back 8-10m we could get that could go towards new signings.

I wish people would stop cuming over there keyboards about this guy. You can throw up goal ratios all day long but there is no point keeping a player at a club that does not want to be there and is not doing what he is being paid to do.

It's high time this and the other clowns sitting in there comfort zones got shown the door.

Well he's kept us up the last 2 years with his goals, and has a great golas per game ratio throughout his career. I find it baffling that we're not playing him.

I don't. It's called 50 league premier league appearances played and we pay Sunderland another sum of money -Mark my words we won't be going buyond game 49 as the chairman has already said from the off he wants the wage bill slashed and all the high earners gone - and this is the biggest high earner at the club.

I will let you work it out mate.

Then add this...

Darren Bent is shit... His lazy, loses possession and doesn't suit villa's style of play (We aren't Barcelona)

He bench warmed at Spurs because hes shit.

At Sunderland 99% of his goals were tap ins from about 3 yards out and that 1% was from him being full of confidence living off his own hype. (Who in our team can assist him? Young, Downing and Milner jumped on their bikes a while ago now)

If you have to question why Lambert isn't starting him, then i would have to question you, how many games this season have you watched him play? (MOTD highlights fan boys opinions don't compare to those who have watched every game this season start to finish)

Benteke has potential, when he had confidence he looked like a Real Madrid striker. Bent is in his prime years but is still gash.

I would also cash in on him now.

You havent touched a nerve Cas. Why would you? I just think you're having a bit of a laugh to be honest and so whatever floats your boat. If people believe you that's their lookout.

But I'm absolutely certain you're not privy to any info. I'm not even sure you can agree with yourself what the story is and it is a story.

Last I'll say on it. Knock yourself out.

Doesn't seem like there isn't any money - Lambert is now being quoted as saying he beleives the current crop of players is good enough to keep us up

He also said he's looking at players but you dont actually expect him to say "I dont think this squad I have is good enough" to the press do you?

A couple of players will come in but the bulk of the squad will remain and shaking their confidence further would be stupid.

Hi, new to this and this may have been said already but..

I'm not sure throwing money at clubs on transfer fees is the answer as the amounts available mean our potential purchases will not be from the top shelf and therefor less likely to make the impact we so desperately need.

I recently read "Soccernomics" which threw up some interesting stats:

Vast sums of money paid for players via transfer fees on average will improve your performances and points totals by 18% (from memory), However, investment in players wages i.e. paying more (to both existing and new) will improve performance by nearly 80%.

I realise this is stating the obvious, but the maths don't lie surely?

Would we not be better off looking at players nearly out of contract putting in a few cheaky bids with the promise of eye catching wages?

Out of contract this summer:

Andrey Arshavin

Kolo Toure

Brede Hangeland

Sylvain Distan

Anatoliy Tymoschuk

Moussa Sissikho

Rod Fanni

Siaka Tienne

Vasillis Torrosidis

McDonald Mariga

Mathieu Flamini

Douglas

Maralim Sulejmani

Keisuki Hondo (ends in Jan/Feb)

Some more than others but I reckon theres a few there that would help immensely (this obviously excludes "fanni" as we struggle enough with being taken seriously)

But if the decision not to provide money has only been taken recently then that would explain it.

Nevertheless if what you and Hairyhands say is true then it would put some of my doubts on Lambert in perspective but it still wouldn't cover his mistakes tactically with the team, but rather than continually being scathing of both your posts I will give you both the benefit of the doubt until the window closes by which time everything should be a lot clearer at what is exactly happening with our club?

Unless things change drastically I think the very best we could hope for are a couple of Chester/Trotter/Stephens signings

Even given the resources I thought PL would do better but to me that6 shows the depth of the hole we are in. He has made mistakes but I believe that any manager would in this situation. From what little I hear he is working his balls off and is a very very decent man. It would be easy for him to moan to the media but he refuses to do so. I desperately hope he his successful, obviously for the Villa but for him too.

“I think Darren came in and the lad Makoun didn’t he? No, absolutely not a chance.

“We’re trying to do something within the structure of the club, but we won’t be able to do that.”

Lambert spent £20 million on signings last summer and asked if he knew about the financial conditions he would be working with, he replied: “I get on really well with Randy.

“He really has been great with me. “I understand where he’s coming from on a lot of things and it is what it is.

“I’ll work with it, and if I’ve got to go with the group I’ve got then I’ll go with it. I don’t have a problem, I’ve got nothing but prauise for these lads.

“They give me everything they’ve got. Yes, I’d like one or two more results to get us out that bottom end. I’d like to get to a cup final and those sort of fans like every Villa fan would.

”Lambert was reluctant to divulge any details of his confidential conversations with Lerner. He added: Randy’s been great with me, I can’t ask for any more from him. We’ll wait and see.

“I think the conversation between me and him is private, I’m not going to tell you what happened and that’s no disrespect to you, but it’s a privatre thing.”

Why would he come out this morning and say this if RL has moved the goal posts on him. He knows rightly we need players to stay up I'm sure he's said as much in the last few weeks. Now Lerner is happy to roll the dice on our premier league status? Why would he cover for him? Think the club are feeding the press, clubs, agents, and players a story here.

Edited by El-Reacho

Randy needed to write off £30m of the club's money this transfer window against transfer fees and towards wages over the contract periods. We needed to stretch to bring in quality players such as Countinho, Sissoko and Capoue.

The money didn't need to be anything to do with Lerner, the club can loan it.

If this turns out to be correct and he doesn't sanction the investment when it's required then he's wilfully relegated the club and I'd want him out.