January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

What a strange pair of signings. We desperately needed some experience to add to out squad. Sylla and Dawkins might be good players, and I'm not trying to write them off, but this is a hell of a risk. With the club staring relegation in the face we're taking a chance on a pair of youngsters who need to take a very big step up if they're to perform in the Prem.

It's better than signing nobody, which is something I was concerned about a day or 2 ago. But only just.

Can't find any confirmation if Royston Drenthe has a club or not. Trawling through the free transfer waste bins. Can't believe I'm saying this but I would take Owen Hargreaves on a short term pay as you play, I know his has glass knees but with petrov not around the training ground our young midfielders are crying out for someone experienced to learn from, even if he only plays 2-3 halves for us the advice he can provide Westwood, Delph, Sylla could prove invaluable. Desperate times !

Edited by thabucks

The only conclusion you can draw from this transfer window is the club have bought players they hope will keep us up but if they do not they will not leave us if we go down. Arguably, with the possible exception of Benteke, they did the same in the summer. 

On that basis you could also argue the club have factored in relegation as a real possibility and it being the price of sorting out our wage bill.

I don't think 'high risk' even begins to describe it.