January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

If Lambert has been promised money and the rug has been pulled from under him as some here are saying, surely he would walk . No self respecting manager or person for that matter would stay. It would be a 100% clear cut case of constructive dismissal.

Edited by limvillian

I am a lovely bloke. I just find your fantasy scoops hilarious, duplicitous and more than a little dubious.

Sorry if I'm spoiling your fun.

But just to be clear, what is your story: no money? or money but no desire to spend it?

Yes, lets wait and see if by some strange twist of reality, you know what Randy Lerner is telling Lambert on a daily basis.

I suppose he can always "change his mind" right?

O.K mate, have a nice day.

My "story" is that Lambert was asked to prepare a list of targets, but has now been told that we will not be signing anyone

Could that change next week? No you're right, nobodies ever changed their minds about something - how ridiculous to think that could happen

Just because Dunne is back training doesn't mean he'll be ready for game time any time soon I'd imagine can't imagine him being anywhere close to match fit.

I agree, as he has been known it the past to have a bit of a weight issue.

But.....given the tweet below, this does kinda suggest he isn't too far away (he said, probably reading way too much into the word unlikely, because he needs some hope!)

Mat Kendrick@MatKendrick

Lambert hinted that Vlaar will start for #avfc at #wba, Bennett is back from flu, Bent should train today, but Dunne unlikely to make squad

If Lerner has withdrawn his promise to back Lambert this month in the transfer window then there could be only one reason for that.

The board are looking for a new manager.

There could be a whole number of reasons, of which that would be one - if it was the reason and there was money to spend then it seems strange that a new manager wouldnt be here already with only ten days to go to window close

Edited by VillaCas

Mazrim......I'm not engaging in some internet slagging match with you. But I am telling you 100 per cent there isn't money for new signings. You don't have to believe me at this moment in time but I think you shall look rather silly later!

I've no interest in slagging either.

I dont believe you and, no offence, I have a pretty good reason for that.

To be honest your "You ain't getting nobody" post says it all.

Mazrim......I'm not engaging in some internet slagging match with you. But I am telling you 100 per cent there isn't money for new signings. You don't have to believe me at this moment in time but I think you shall look rather silly later!

And yet recently.... you were telling us there would be 3-4 players coming in - they would be inexpensive and foreign.

Clearly you know crap all.

And yet recently.... you were telling us there would be 3-4 players coming in - they would be inexpensive and foreign.

Clearly you know crap all.

No mate, Randy changed his mind! Dont you see?

Wow Hairyhands vs Mazrim - pistols at dawn!!!

At least this is a bit more exciting than the transfer window. :)

The point about ITKs is nearly always that they only have part of the story and I'm not sure some of the sources of the info currently being fed to Villatalk at present have anything like the full picture of what is happening at the club. (And, in saying that, I am not laying any claim of my own to be an ITK!)

Just my personal opinion but I would find it very hard to believe that one minute there is money to spend and then not ? In fact I'm more inclined to believe that perhaps there was little or no money to spend originally but made available because of our form / position . The only possible reason that funds would be removed from PL to spend would be , as another has mentioned , that lamberts is leaving but I don't believe this for a second.

We absolutely must bring in some players , I really don't care what they cost if they are free or even if they are loans as long as we stay up !!!

UTV

Wow Hairyhands vs Mazrim - pistols at dawn!!!

At least this is a bit more exciting than the transfer window. :)

The point about ITKs is nearly always that they only have part of the story and I'm not sure some of the sources of the info currently being fed to Villatalk at present have anything like the full picture of what is happening at the club. (And, in saying that, I am not laying any claim of my own to be an ITK!)

Spot on.

Plus, nobody seems to take account of the fact that if they are ITK, they may only have been fed the 'story' that the person wants known, not the 'facts'.

The level of debate on here seems to have fallen somewhat - wonder if its got anything to do with so many Birmingham schools declaring a snow day

Why, do you create the footballing equivalent of Mills and Boon at school then?

My take would be that PL was told that there was money available for transfers if reasonable deals could be done. PL submits a list of players he would like and the club goes to work on potential deals. These deals then prove unreasonable due to wage demands, agents fees, transfer fees or any combination of factors, at which point PL is told no deals can be done from his wish list. That doesn't sound too far-fetched to me.

Wow...I'm a school teacher myself, and reading this forum I feel like I'm going to have to tell you all off. Petty squabbling on an internet forum really does make you look small time.

Back on track. I think if Vlaar and Dunne can get back to full fitness then the need for a CB will be reduced until the summer. We are desperate for somebody in midfield who can get stuck in and is not lightweight, overpaid and distinctly average at best (ala Delph, Bannan, Ireland).

I would personally (without sounding mad) go for someone like Shaun Derry on a short term contract. Will be soon ousted at QPR, no nonsense, gets stuck in, has experience of a relegation battle.

All of you who are thinking about top european players like Sissoko and Coutinho are not being realistic. We are about to be shunted out of the Premier League and we are not attractive to any top players. We need a bit of experience and a bit of fight. Aim for the likes of Coutinho in the summer after a bit of investment.

Just my personal opinion but I would find it very hard to believe that one minute there is money to spend and then not ? In fact I'm more inclined to believe that perhaps there was little or no money to spend originally but made available because of our form / position . The only possible reason that funds would be removed from PL to spend would be , as another has mentioned , that lamberts is leaving but I don't believe this for a second.

We absolutely must bring in some players , I really don't care what they cost if they are free or even if they are loans as long as we stay up !!!

UTV

My guess is that Lambert has been told that his top targets are out of our price range and that he doesn't think that those he would be allowed to bring in would have the impact required i.e. he would we deepening the squad but not improving the first XI.

Anyone who thinks that the situation doesn't change from day to day though is fooling themselves. An injury to a key player, a bad/good result, the unexpected sale of a player, a change of demands from a target or a million other reasons can all influence events

The position today is that there will be no signings

Ok guys, at risk of exposing myself to some very scary name calling...

I have a friend that is heavily involved with the aston villa former players association, I'm sure a few of you know him too if you are regulars at VP, Addys, aston social, etc, but I will not reveal his name out of respect. I asked him if anything is happening and all he could tell me is that there is £10M already available for transfers and potentially more.

I took potentially more to mean that should the right player be available at the right price then Randy will bankroll it on the proviso that some players will leave as soon as is viable to recoup the money.

Take what you will from it but I have never had bad information from this source so I 100% believe we have money. Doesnt mean we will do business though!

May I suggest we lock this thread until there's an actual transfer about to happen. It's turning into a flame war about if there's money or not, MON vs PL, RL being stingy etc. I'm actually just waiting for someone to call another guy Hitler and then the thread officially has to be closed as no more arguments will be needed.

Behave people.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

If Lerner has withdrawn his promise to back Lambert this month in the transfer window then there could be only one reason for that.

The board are looking for a new manager.

One reason?

Could an alternative reason be that RL and PF are haggling? There's still 12 days left of the window. The story so far is that PL has given RL the list of players that he wants. Firstly why would Lerner even accept this list if there was no money? Then Lerner has gone and tried to negotiate with these players' agents. Again why would he do this if there was no money. After hearing their terms he was withdrawn the funding? Perhaps he is now waiting for them to come back to him with revised terms after seeing his reaction. Playing hard ball and all that? Perhaps he's spreading the rumours that there's no money so that clubs won't think we're desperate to get anyone in to save the club from relegation and bend us over a barrel.

Also nearly all of the players PL has signed so far have been 'privileged' to sign for Villa rather than vice versa (I know this sounds quite arrogant as fan when we've currently don't have a big pile to be arrogant about), as in it was by far and away the best move the could possibly have imagined at this stage in their careers. Therefore the players on PL's list are more likely to be very keen to come here which again puts RL in a position of strength, allowing him to play the waiting game.

I see where you are coming from , but do you honestly think it's the only reason this could have happened?