Joe Bennett

Si.

I just don't think he's a natural defender. If you were looking for a bright side, perhaps he has some sit downs with Vlaar and Lowton over the summer and figure out how to properly defend, but it just doesn't seem to work for him. Doesn't have the brain for it. Good cover and is better when he doesn't have to go against particularly pacey and good wingers, but we desperately need someone else there that is a natural LB.

Really, I'd take someone who's just defensively solid and average going forward at this point.

He's just not capable of defending and has been as that's the job he's supposed to do he should be out of that starting line up. I really hope we can buy a decent left back in the summer and another centre back. I Hinksey we also need a creative midfielder who can join in with the attacks because our midfield three just do not look like having a shot, let alone scoring!

I am just so grateful for our front three right now. They are absolutely awesome.

guy needs a proper work out in the summer on his defending. Poor game today, but too early to give up on him. I wouldn't object to us signing a more experienced left back though! 

Cut our losses and get rid, he's had so many chances and very rarely produced anything better than an ordinary performance. Terrible again today and nearly cost us dear for the umpteenth time, he isn't good enough and I don't really see that he ever will be.

Edited by AndyClarke

Funny one, I personally don't rate him, I think he needs to improve a lot. A guy I work with, an ex pro who played fullback think he's got huge potential.

Jury is still out, it's been a tough season for him to stand out, I think we could do with another option at left back in the summer though.

I like the lad he is getting better. He had a bad game today no doubt, but he was targetted by Norwich from the off so he had to endure that for 90 minutes.

I still think he is going to be a good player one day. Whether he is a left back or left sided midfielder I dont know but some of his touches, vision and passes are tidy.

• Like 1

I posted about this in a thread about Lambert tailoring tactics to the opposition, but I reckon part of Bennett's problem is that he rarely gets much cover in front of him. Today we played Delph, Westwood and Sylla. Delph does sit left a little, but is basically a CM, and Westwood is always bang in the middle. Sylla seems to drift right, particularly in the Sunderland game where he basically played as a RM. So that's why you often see Bennett with acres of space in front of him and men running onto him.

Having said that, he does also get very basic defending tasks wrong. A really frustrating player, as he often looks dangerous going forward. I bet he would be more successful in France, Spain or Portugal. Hopefully he will spend some time in the gym this summer beefing up a bit.

I just don't think he's a natural defender. If you were looking for a bright side, perhaps he has some sit downs with Vlaar and Lowton over the summer and figure out how to properly defend, but it just doesn't seem to work for him. Doesn't have the brain for it. Good cover and is better when he doesn't have to go against particularly pacey and good wingers, but we desperately need someone else there that is a natural LB.

Really, I'd take someone who's just defensively solid and average going forward at this point.

Lichaj is the player you are looking for then. 

we need Clark back and Baker at left back, if not Lichaj there instead v Chelsea.

As soon as Bennett is targetted by physical players or players with pace then he looks a liability.

He is a great crosser and passer and you can see he has the pace and nous to track players, he just lacks a defensive brain to do the simple things well.

I like him but he is a liability at times and not a natural defender.

He's improving but you fear there's always a mistake in him (like a lot of young defenders). He was very unlucky with the penalty because it's a 50/50 foul outside the box.

He made his own luck with that decision because he'd already given away three fouls before then that were yellow card offences. He shouldn't have been on the pitch to give that penalty away. Yes, it started outside of the box but after putting in so many reckless and dirty tackles prior to that he set the precedent for the referee who wasn't going to let anything else slide. It was a difficult one to call, but Bennett shouldn't be putting in so many stupid, dirty challenges in the first place.

I'm not sure what goes through his and Baker's heads sometimes. On multiple occasions this season they have both made some ridiculous decisions which could have, or did, cost us valuable points. I fear Baker and Bennett don't have a brain cell between them, they certainly don't have footballing brains.

A CB and a new LB in the summer please, maybe after getting rid of some players, another defensive midfielder. I'd be happy enough with that, well, and we might need a new backup goalie if Given leaves.

We aren't exactly blessed with Left backs though are we? Him and Enda Stephens, and Stephens doesn't appear to be rated. Lichaj is a right back and he has a mistake in him too. I think between Lichaj and Bennett it's much of a muchness, but at least Bennett is left-footed. That's how I think Lambert sees things, I think I'd personally give Lichaj a go.

It's either that or you play Baker or Clark there but I don't think either of them have excelled when they've been put there either. I'd rather have Baker in CB and I'd be tempted to leave Clark out altogether, an opinion which Lambert seems to share.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Â