Joe Bennett

Si.

People being far too harsh on him. Match of the day did a proper hatchet job on him. He had a bad game, indeed, but he has been playing better of late and the example of how United targeted is kind of misleading. Not one goal that game was his fault and he was up against Valencia and Rafael with little cover from Gabby.

His initial booking yesterday, imo, was very harsh, especially when you consider Holt was constantly fouling and never got booked. The penalty was stupid as was the foul on the edge of the box but the rest of his game was decent. He had the second highest pass success rate, wasn't dispossessed once and made 9 clearances (only 1 less than Vlaar).

He's not had a great season but neither has Aston Villa as a team, but at times he has looked good and he, generally, has improved in the second half of the season. This is his first in the prem in a struggling team that in the first half of the season invited pressure for almost a full 90.

Give him a chance, there's a good player there he just needs to bulk up, not be so naive and not have the fans on his back as soon as he does something wrong.

• Like 4

People being far too harsh on him. Match of the day did a proper hatchet job on him. He had a bad game, indeed, but he has been playing better of late and the example of how United targeted is kind of misleading. Not one goal that game was his fault and he was up against Valencia and Rafael with little cover from Gabby.

His initial booking yesterday, imo, was very harsh, especially when you consider Holt was constantly fouling and never got booked. The penalty was stupid as was the foul on the edge of the box but the rest of his game was decent. He had the second highest pass success rate, wasn't dispossessed once and made 9 clearances (only 1 less than Vlaar).

He's not had a great season but neither has Aston Villa as a team, but at times he has looked good and he, generally, has improved in the second half of the season. This is his first in the prem in a struggling team that in the first half of the season invited pressure for almost a full 90.

Give him a chance, there's a good player there he just needs to bulk up, not be so naive and not have the fans on his back as soon as he does something wrong.

We still need a good left back in the summer. He needs competition to maintain some sort of consistency if nothing else. 

they wanted 6 million for Cresswell. highly doubt he is worth half that

Sat right next to Cresswell's uncle in the Witton Lane Stand (It's correct name) at 3rd round FA Cup game at VP. He assured me that Villa offered  £4.5 M & Ipswich rigidly wanted £6M so we never went back after that!

Bennett has certainly got a nice left foot but defensively he is so, so naive & as a lot of posters state most opposition managers & coaches target this area as a major weakness in our team.

He does have potential though & I would much prefer us to go out & sign a quality LB & let him & Bennett fight it out for the shirt.

What Bennett lacks can be taught, that's the biggest thing about him. If he was just a really bad footballer, there'd be no hope, but he's a decent player who just needs to be taught how to defend properly

• Like 1

would prefer we sign a good centre half and push Baker to left back. can use Bennett against the teams that would let us play football like the Fulhams

Bennett needs to bulk up a little and cut out the silly fouls but there is a decent player in there

Baker has not got the attacking ability to be a regular left back

I agree that we need some competition for the LB slot though

It's just horrible having him there, he can't do anything defensively right at all.

His issues are partly physical, being the leaf he is, but it's mostly understanding of the game. Gets himself the wrong side, doesn't know how to stand a man up, show someone wide, deal with someone bigger than him aerially, stuff you learn when you're 15. Accident waiting to happen, very nearly cost us the win Sat.

He can pass if given time, and has a bit of quality in general with his left foot, but we need solidity there right now.

I'd have Lichaj there, or even Clark at a push for the next two. Keep Baker in the middle.

• Like 1

I think you are being too harsh on him. He had a good game against Adam Johnson. I've hardly seen Johnson have less effect in a game. There's no doubt we need competition at left back but Baker, Clarke and Lichaj are not the answer there. Bennett is far from the worst left back we have seen at Villa and at 22 he has plenty of time to improve.

I'd put Lichaj in. It's his wrong side but as said above I think Lichaj has at least a grasp of the basics of defending. Bennett should never have left the championship. I haven't seen any grain of potential to feel maybe he has something to work on, he's just so way off the level I can only suggest a new LB and keep him as a spare and hope he gets better.

I still believe he has the potential to come good. His bad games are becoming fewer in number which is encouraging.

No doubt though if we are to progress as a side we need more depth at LB, probably someone to come in as a starter with Bennett challenging

I can't believe people wanting Lichaj to step in. Do you really have such a short memory? Lichaj played lb earlier this season when Bennett was injured and he was far, far worse than Bennett's been so far. And Bennett hasn't been that bad defensively either since we started to gain some form. Yes, he was very bad against norwich and almost solely made us drop points. But that's one game. He's been decent the rest of the last say6-7 games.

But I'm in the "let's keep him and get someone else in for competition"-camp. We need someone who's better than decent. Get rid of Stevens instead. He's worse.

TBH I want Lichaj in. Bennett should have been sent off at the weekend and he cost us the goal too. He almost single-handedly jeopardised our result. He has always been more effective going forward but at this stage of the season we (I) need a more solid defender there. I don't care how effective my left back is at going forward at this point. I don't know whether he will ever be good enough, but right now he isn't and that's all that matters in May.

Â