Joe Bennett

Si.

PF said he thinks JB needs some competition.  Not sure if that was his own opinion or the managers opinion.  Would love Cresswell here.  A much sturdier version of Bennett.  Cracking left foot.

I'd stick with Bennett.  This season (which was stop start for him) was experience for him,  a proper summer and some better defenders around him and I think he could make a similar impact next season to what Lowton has done this

• Like 1

I'd stick with Bennett.  This season (which was stop start for him) was experience for him,  a proper summer and some better defenders around him and I think he could make a similar impact next season to what Lowton has done this

Yeah that's my hope and it's why I haven't written him off. But another season like this one or even a lack of progress up to Christmas and I'd be looking around in the January window.

Yeah that's my hope and it's why I haven't written him off. But another season like this one or even a lack of progress up to Christmas and I'd be looking around in the January window.

I'm with you there brother

The faith and hope is not an indefinite one

I'm undecided on Bennett, but his quasi-hot sister definitely affords him a stay of execution.

pictures?

Stevens will never be the answer IMO. 

depends what the question is surely?

Stevens will never be the answer IMO.

Maybe. But he has hardly dirtied his bib yet and he played a blinder against Man Utd. Stevens was a part of our defence in November when we kept 3 clean sheets that month. Villa have a TOTAL of 5 clean sheets this season. That means that in the 9 months OTHER than November that we've played in this season, Villa have kept 2 clean sheets.

I think Bennett is definitely benefitting from being Lambert's purchase. Which is fine. It happens all the time. But anything that Stevens may have been perceived as doing wrong, Bennett has done plenty of times more. Thankfully it currently looks as though his mistakes won't have been critical to our staying up.

Stevens did play well against Utd but then got done by Hernandez for the winner. From memory he also got a bit of a rinsing in the away game at City.

So he is no saint defensively either.

As others have said Bennett is getting the nod because he fits the shape Lambert favours.

Whether we can afford his errors time will tell. It's never been a more nervous season for me and Bennett is a sizeable reason for that.

He may come good he may not either way we should have a viable other option. If it ain't Stevens it shouldn't be lichaj (a clear RB) or Baker/Clarke (clear CB's) so it needs to be acquired

There's no doubt the left back is an an area we need to strengthen in the summer, but for now with limited choices we should stick with him. No way bring Stevens in. Clarke at left back when he hasn't played there all season - no chance.

I feel kinda bad for the lad. He has now been targeted 2 out of our last 3 games by opposing teams and not subtly either. ManU and Norwich were gleefully targeting him. Chelsea will do the same. We need to change it up somehow.

I feel kinda bad for the lad. He has now been targeted 2 out of our last 3 games by opposing teams and not subtly either. ManU and Norwich were gleefully targeting him. Chelsea will do the same. We need to change it up somehow.

He just needs extra cover from midfield, like Lowton did against Sunderland. If the opposition persist against Bennet, then that should then free up Lowton defensively so switching to his side quickly when we win the ball back would worry them and force them to rethink their attack.

• Like 1

He just needs extra cover from midfield, like Lowton did against Sunderland. If the opposition persist against Bennet, then that should then free up Lowton defensively so switching to his side quickly when we win the ball back would worry them and force them to rethink their attack.

+1. Bananaman also helped out Stevens enormously in a few of the games. It was like we had two left backs. I'd love nothing more than having another Irishman named Enda in the side, but Stevens looked better than he would have because of Bannan's help. In fairness to Joe Bennett, he hasn't had that same sort of cover.

+1. Bananaman also helped out Stevens enormously in a few of the games. It was like we had two left backs. I'd love nothing more than having another Irishman named Enda in the side, but Stevens looked better than he would have because of Bannan's help. In fairness to Joe Bennett, he hasn't had that same sort of cover.

Don't you know it's bannanable offence to say positive things about Bannan on this site!

PF said he thinks JB needs some competition.  Not sure if that was his own opinion or the managers opinion.  Would love Cresswell here.  A much sturdier version of Bennett.  Cracking left foot.

I'd love another promising RB to challenge Bennett. Glad to see PF thinks so too. It's on Randy now....

Â