Joe Bennett

Si.

Had a very good game, probably his best for us in all honesty. He's also got the most desire to score a goal out of the whole team. Last 2 or 3 games I've seen him play he'll be making some absolutely cracking runs on the left wing. Left wing is probably not the right word, he essentially plays it as though he's a left forward standing right on the oppositions Right back.

He did it for about 10 minutes straight versus Sunderland and a couple of times vs Chelsea. Some great runs, just nobody ever looked up to find the right pass, I think Westwood tried it once maybe yesterday but it didnt quite come off.

As impressed as I was with him yesterday his defensive positioning was lacking at times but fortunately he wasn't found out as Weimann and Gabby (depending who was on his side) would track back and essentially play LB as Bennett kept finding himself more central than he needed to be (he was marking a player, and it may have been a tactical decision but he should have left that player to the CBs and watched the player on the left).  

It meant that once or twice we would clear the ball and Gabby/Weimann would be absolutely nowhere near Benteke's flick-ons and thus completely collapsing a couple of potential counter attacks. But overall I think he did really well yesterday.

PF said he thinks JB needs some competition.  Not sure if that was his own opinion or the managers opinion.  Would love Cresswell here.  A much sturdier version of Bennett.  Cracking left foot.

I'd love another promising RB to challenge Bennett. Glad to see PF thinks so too. It's on Randy now....

This is a bit puzzling. Is Faulkner now our Director of Football?

Not that I disagree with him. For all his strengths going forward, Bennett is deficient as a defender and that is his primary role. It was interesting to compare and contrast his game with that of Ashley Cole.

Where has Faulkner said we need a LB? 

Desperate for a new one in the Summer. 

Bennett has the break to learn the basics of defending: standing people up, showing them down the line, keeping in line or ahead of the CB next to him. Don't think he will, and will continue to be a liability.

I'd still persist with him at left back. Sure he may be inconsistent but this is what you get with younger players. He has shown he has the ability all we need to do now is iron out the inconsistency.

Bennett has been getting better after very shakey start, he did well against Chelski and Sunderland for example but I would still bring in another LB, preferably a bit more older one.

Probably needs competition. He's very good going forward but needs to work a lot on his defensive attributes. Young players have been known to improve considerably over the summer.

Bennett has been getting better after very shakey start, he did well against Chelski and Sunderland for example but I would still bring in another LB, preferably a bit more older one.

Thats hardly a ringing endorsement - its seems a very nice wsay of saying you would prefer someone else at FB

Thats hardly a ringing endorsement - its seems a very nice wsay of saying you would prefer someone else at FB

Isn't Bennett our only proper left back beside Enda Stevens who's even more inexperienced than Bennett? Also Bennett could learn from the more experienced left back and rotation isn't exactly a bad thing.

I've been very harsh on Bennett this season. Had some howlers - but - he's winning me over. Was brilliant against both Chelsea and Sunderland, shutting up Mata/Moses and Adam Johnson.

• Like 1

I think he was so bad in the early matches, he's getting a bit too much credit in some places.

Lowton against Sunderland, that was a brilliant full back performance.

Bennett against Chelsea, he was OK. He wasn't crap, which he has been most of the season.

Got some hope for him as a winger, never going to properly cut it at full back.

Â