General Conspiracy Theory Dump Store

CI

On 27/12/2022 at 14:03, Chindie said:

**** Russell Brand.

Years ago, I was a big fan when he was on Radio 2 with Matt Morgan. Then he moved out to LA and his relationship with Matt went south so he ended up with assorted co-hosts culminating in Jonathan Ross.

After that he was off the radar for a bit (at least as far as podcasts were concerned) but I went to his stand-up in 2016 when he talked about his life so far and becoming a parent. It was amazing.

Then he just disappeared up his own arse and I've completely unsubscribed and detached from anything he does.

He's an intelligent and talented guy, but his personality is such that he just can't get out of his own way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Years ago, I was a big fan when he was on Radio 2 with Matt Morgan. Then he moved out to LA and his relationship with Matt went south so he ended up with assorted co-hosts culminating in Jonathan Ross.

After that he was off the radar for a bit (at least as far as podcasts were concerned) but I went to his stand-up in 2016 when he talked about his life so far and becoming a parent. It was amazing.

Then he just disappeared up his own arse and I've completely unsubscribed and detached from anything he does.

He's an intelligent and talented guy, but his personality is such that he just can't get out of his own way.

He's never been my thing.

I didn't find his stand up much cop (the best bit I ever saw from him was the one where he rails on the media and the publics stupidty by reading from a copy of the Sun where it's suggested we should send Myra Hindley to Afghanistan to sprinkle around chemical weapons), and his... persona is exactly pinpoint directed to push my buttons. And then he reinvented himself as a modern guru figure where he's advising people how to live and what to think and his take on things is always the pseudo-intellectual hippy take that sounds profound but is paper thin. Given that he himself has lived a tumultuous life it's a bit much to have him now claiming he's seen the light and this is how it's best to live, and his advice swings from the innocuous modern spirituality rubbish to the nastier stuff like, for example, 'subtly' implying vaccines are bad because capitalism, all nestled in in never ending swathes of completely vacuous bollocks that sounds deep and thoughtful but is actually complete bollocks that means nothing.

I hate him.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

He's never been my thing.

I didn't find his stand up much cop (the best bit I ever saw from him was the one where he rails on the media and the publics stupidty by reading from a copy of the Sun where it's suggested we should send Myra Hindley to Afghanistan to sprinkle around chemical weapons), and his... persona is exactly pinpoint directed to push my buttons. And then he reinvented himself as a modern guru figure where he's advising people how to live and what to think and his take on things is always the pseudo-intellectual hippy take that sounds profound but is paper thin. Given that he himself has lived a tumultuous life it's a bit much to have him now claiming he's seen the light and this is how it's best to live, and his advice swings from the innocuous modern spirituality rubbish to the nastier stuff like, for example, 'subtly' implying vaccines are bad because capitalism, all nestled in in never ending swathes of completely vacuous bollocks that sounds deep and thoughtful but is actually complete bollocks that means nothing.

I hate him.

I remember once he was on question time i think farage was on the panel as well. He was putting his point across that the political system is broken. Then someone in the audience asked why dont you run as a mp then to create change. His response was "im scared  ill turn into one of them"

The audience completed shitted on him after thag and he lost all credibility that he had

Edited by Demitri_C

I used to like Brand, he had a good spell on YouTube where he'd show up how much of a joke Fox news and the Daily Mail are. 

But like Rogan, Covid seems to have given him the chance to appeal to a more insane audience and a chance to boost his own ego at how intelligent he must be. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I used to like Brand, he had a good spell on YouTube where he'd show up how much of a joke Fox news and the Daily Mail are. 

But like Rogan, Covid seems to have given him the chance to appeal to a more insane audience and a chance to boost his own ego at how intelligent he must be. 

Exactly this. His "Trews" show was quite good for a while on YT when he covered the news and analyzed how manipulative it could be - Maybe 2013/14.

Then somehow he evolved along a really odd path and now he's a crank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2022 at 10:08, mjmooney said:

Our local FB group is mostly what you'd expect - complaints about parking, requests for recommended tradesmen, etc. But there's one woman (anti-masker, anti-vaxxer), who's obsessed with contrails and the 'suspicious' amount of aircraft traffic in our area. 

We live next to an airport. 

Update on this: the plot thickens. 

Mad woman has since been joined by another one, with the same obsession with contrails. The mods have now got pissed off with them, and take the posts down (although usually not before giving the rest of us a fair go of ripping the piss). 

A couple of things that interest me are: (a) they never seem to post on any other topic, that you might expect in a local group, and 

(b) From their otherwise skeletal FB profiles, they both appear to be young and attractive. 

Which makes me suspect that they are bots/Russian mischief makers. I doubt that such people would target one very parochial group, so I'm wondering if they crop up in other guises across the country's various local platforms? 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Mad woman has since been joined by another one, with the same obsession with contrails. The mods have now got pissed off with them, and take the posts down (although usually not before giving the rest of us a fair go of ripping the piss). 

A couple of things that interest me are: (a) they never seem to post on any other topic, that you might expect in a local group, and 

(b) From their otherwise skeletal FB profiles, they both appear to be young and attractive. 

Which makes me suspect that they are bots/Russian mischief makers. I doubt that such people would target one very parochial group, so I'm wondering if they crop up in other guises across the country's various local platforms? 

young and attractive , you say  ... I've got some empty jam jars for collecting samples in , sign me up 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Social Dilemma

Everyone should watch this , it really goes along way to explain these types of obsessions people have.

Basically once you have an interest in certain theories and start searching for information you become a target for AI and the algorithms they construct on you and your interests and how to engage with you in a way that will engage with your mindset and keep you coming back for more.

AI is so dangerous,  people don't see its influence over their opinions and that's a very dangerous thing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like how much Facebook brain rot must you have suffered to think a pedestrianised walkable city centre a) benefits 'the Davos elite / WEF' and b) and bad thing?

As far as I can tell a 15 minute city is what every single city on the planet was, prior to about 80 years ago.

Walking & cycling are inherently anti-capitalist and I suspect there's some dark money behind these weird-ass protests

30 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I see the usual racist freaks have turned their attentions to protesting cities being accessible and convenient for residents now.

The irony that you can all but guarantee the guy holding the "Governments are lying to you" sign was also a Brexit nutter. 

• Like 1

The AI have so many poor sods on the line that it's scary. On my way to work I walk past a group of these every day, they've got signs and hang out by the train station. As if anyone walking out of Basingstoke train station is going to care about some tramp with a sign that says 'Russia is innocent, stop NATO' or 'Qanon knew - where we all go we go together' or whatever the hell the flavour of the nutjob coolaid of the week is.

The thing is that they all seem to be middle aged men who should be doing well in life. I just don't get it.

I’d be careful heckling them, they aren’t all ‘harmless’ nut jobs. There are some properly nasty people there.

These aren’t people that have been converted by wonky AI or too much facebook, these include confirmed racist thugs that have done time and have been committing crimes since long before facebook or MySpace or any of that.

We can’t keep blaming social media. Some of these people are just **** scum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Some of these people are just **** scum

I think you’ll find the correct term is “the layer of dirt or froth on the surface of a liquid, community”. Also the social media allows these delicate souls to coagulate and congeal around other like-unminded members of similar groups, such as the bell end community, the shouting from bus stop demographic, and of course the I’m not racist, but send ‘em back-istas.

Here's a good one. Polish woman claims to be Madeleine McCann, shares ‘proof’ on social media  (how many such claims per year I wonder).

A Polish woman has garnered viral attention over claims that she may be Madeleine McCann, the missing British girl who disappeared from a Portuguese resort in 2007 when she was three years old.

In an attempt to prove her claims, Julia Wendell, 21, has posted numerous pieces of “evidence” to social media, most of which are side-by-side comparisons of similar physical characteristics between herself and young McCann.

This week, Wendell claimed that after hearing her social media cries, the McCann parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, have asked her to take a DNA test.

Â